2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

I really like the pattern and blade selection, but I wasn't quite sure about the scale choices. Way back when they used the lava lamp acrylic I wanted to get one but was too late to the party. When I saw how the GBM acrylic on this one turned out, the decision was made. I got a good one.
x4pwJUw.jpg

dE6YsuS.jpg

Mail call on Thursday, and its bittersweet. This is the first GEC I received that the main blade spring was completely limp. I mean NO snap on the opening, it snapped shut closing alright not great, but alright. I have read some other posts about this so I was expecting it, but compared to my other GEC's this was an extreme. I absolutely LOVE the Osage Orange covers. After a spa treatment of dish soap, and mineral oil bath, it has improved some to the point where I have changed my mind about returning it. There was a little grit and gunk in the main blade pivot. Its about a lazy 3 now, and both secondary blades are spot on with the walk and talk (5-6). I do love this knife and three blade GEC's are my favorite because the #79 Montana Whittler is still the finest knife that GEC has ever made IMO, I covet the few that I have and always looking for others.
I started out using this to make some apple crisp, peeling and cutting about two dozen apples and it started to patina the blade and covers. I love when Osage Orange starts to age from the oils in your hands and the the elements. It turns a golden honey color and has a soft velvety touch. I was going to purchase a Maher and Grosh or Northfield but for the price I will be holding off to see if the lazy blade spring improves at all with the newer ones released.
22ipz3N.jpg

Kg48klA.jpg

COLjdPp.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest you keep that knife for a long while. It appears that the action on the main blade is due to some foreign matter in the pivot and maybe the spring which you are addressing. I would say mine a GMB is about a 4. I’m terrible at pull/snap ratings so I will just say it snaps and is firm enough for me. Compared to my 44 is is not as “snappy”, but I don’t care for strong snaps and pulls.

Yours is such a fine example (it’s made me change my mind about Osage Orange) and the 29 such an excellent design I would send it back to GEC for a fix before I’d sell it.

Good luck with your decision.

This knife isn't going anywhere, and thanks for the kind words. I love GEC three bladed knives, but I have handled alot of GEC's, and I like a solid walk and talk and pull. My 44 was perfect, both blades were a 5-6 with a "click, clap, snappity clack" talk. I will be following this thread closely to see how others are. Please keep posting pics!

I really like my new 29 in Osage. It’s my first GEC and it has a great overall quality to it. I’ve used it just for some light duty stuff and it works great!

I wonder if anyone has a 57 they could compare these in size with?
Thanks, Neal

So I'm guessing the Maher and Grosh SFO will have their etch on the blade?

It's got more than one etch. I forget what the main etch is exactly, something to do with it being a Maher and Grosh. The spey has a "flesh only" etch. The factory actually forgot that etch and they had to take them back during the Rendezvous to add it.

I am starting to feel very grateful that I live in Europe and importing GEC's beauties is so difficult and expensive. I did not like #29s at all on the mockup. Even less when I learned they'd be 3-springed. But now, seeing all those pictures...man, am I tempted!

How do you guys in USA stay afloat with that availability of sweet knives? Noodles? I would be homeless in no time. Happy camper with plastic bags full of tubes.

Last edited:
I am starting feeling very grateful that I live in Europe and importing GEC's beauties is so difficult and expensive. I did not like #29s at all on the mockup. Even less when I knew they'd be 3-springed. But now, seeing all those pictures...man, am I tempted!

How do you guys in USA stay afloat with that availability of sweet knives? Noodles? I would be homeless in no time. Happy camper with plastic bags full of tubes.

Theres a company in Germany about to get an SFO in burlap. Something and Gents.

Edit: I think thats a 92 nevermind. But it is a GEC. Call and see if they're taking reservations.

Nah, #92 leaves me cold (unless it is tidioute wharncliffe talon)...just like any GEC knife when it is announced.

Later I keep banging my head for not pulling the trigger. I remember pondering whether or not to buy beer scout ... idiot.

How accessible is the nail nick? I keep my finger nails short. Is it one of those you got to hold your tongue a certain way and really dig for it? I get home on the 28th and will find out then.... just wanted a heads up.

How accessible is the nail nick? I keep my finger nails short. Is it one of those you got to hold your tongue a certain way and really dig for it? I get home on the 28th and will find out then.... just wanted a heads up.
No problem at all for me, I just trimmed my nails as well.

Back