2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

It's probably my fault

How could that be your fault? I thing letting the knife snap closed should be something user should be able to do without any damage to the knife. There are some patterns that I have to close carefully (#71 & #73), but it's half the fun.

I wouldn't think the blade rap would be an issue with this pattern as the hump in the back spring is on the outside as opposed to other pattern when the spring has to accommodate for the pin on the inside.

Last edited:
I would not discount this run off one report of blade rap.
@LHS
Logan pull out the two secondary blade, it's a large well, you may be able to see where the rub is occurring.
Just did it with mine, plenty of space there.

It's when the blade hits the backspring when snapped closed. (the evidence is a small flat spot on the otherwise sharpened edge of the blade) I always close my slipjoints in a controlled manner, so unless the blade is actually resting on the spring when closed, I wouldn't know if it had this tendency.

Thanks! Always good to learn something.

images

Blade Rap is certainly undesirable so certain knives need careful closing. I know it's cool to hear the thwack of a knife closing, the 'talk' is kind of addictive ;) But it's not really good news for the edges at times. If the blade is fractionally too wide or the kick too small, lot of sharpening will correct the fault but it's still annoying.

Quite a lot of French knives don't have a kick (or blade-stop) so careful closing is a must and I've taken to closing all my knives with care now. Be careful out there!:D

images

Blade Rap is certainly undesirable so certain knives need careful closing. I know it's cool to hear the thwack of a knife closing, the 'talk' is kind of addictive ;) But it's not really good news for the edges at times. If the blade is fractionally too wide or the kick too small, lot of sharpening will correct the fault but it's still annoying.

Quite a lot of French knives don't have a kick (or blade-stop) so careful closing is a must and I've taken to closing all my knives with care now. Be careful out there!:D

Touche Will :p

My blades always prefer a more jazz type of closing (nice & smooth :cool:).

bjKqxp1.jpg

Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, that would bite the big one.

You'd think that would be one of the first things they'd inspect before distribution....

I'm probably the odd guy, but I close all of my knives with care.... IMO to allow them to slam closed is akin to pulling your vehicle into the garage and stopping it by jamming the gearshift into park...
I let mine slam like I stole them .
If they rap then there not a keeper .
Just my 2 cents

Back