2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

waynorth waynorth

Wasl0rt.jpg
as a canadian gec collector. this 29 is a must. the shield is sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Plus it's a great knife!!! The blades lay inside the handle, yet I find them easy to open!!
And the semi-sunk joints make this a wonderful pocket piece!! I thought they'd be thick and heavy, but that is not the case!!!
thank you for the feedback. ill buy a bloodwood or snakewood if i cant get my hands on the sfo. i wanna try this pattern for sure
HAGD ATB

Yup. That'll open those noodle packets real nice. ;)

Congratulations!

Plus it's a great knife!!! The blades lay inside the handle, yet I find them easy to open!!
And the semi-sunk joints make this a wonderful pocket piece!! I thought they'd be thick and heavy, but that is not the case!!!
Yes, it's sturdy but not too bulky. Reminds me of the guys we would call a "pocket Hercules" :D
I will admit the jigging and color of the bone are kinda 'meh' for me; I don't dislike it, it's just sorta "sure, fine, whatever". I've been waiting for this blade combo for a while, and may even do one of those self-challenges of carrying it every day for a month, so I expect it'll mellow into something really nice.
Gt5XgCY.jpg

So far I have the jigged bone I bought in T'ville, and no blade has rapped!!;)
Have you tried putting it next to two turntables and a microphone?
Sorry, last rap joke from me.

I will admit the jigging and color of the bone are kinda 'meh' for me; I don't dislike it, it's just sorta "sure, fine, whatever". I've been waiting for this blade combo for a while, and may even do one of those self-challenges of carrying it every day for a month, so I expect it'll mellow into something really nice.

I have one of these on the way, too. I wasn't planning on buying any more knives this year, but the blade combo was too hard to pass up.

If you do do your month challenge, I hope you'll post pictures along the way. I'd love to follow along. You develop such nice patinas on your knives. I'm sure this one will develop some amazing character if it's with you every day for a month. :thumbsup:

I ordered the Burnt Sienna Jigged Bone - couldn't help myself. Looks like it is out of stock on the KSF site; mine is in the mail...
gec-29-stockyard-whittler-burnt-sienna-jigged-bone__88702.1565970779.jpg

Right now these are back in stock at KSF.

I received mine today. First inspection, looks nice. A little heavier than I was expecting. Pre-cleaning and oiling, it has nice pull and snap no blade rap.

Been carrying my GBM pretty much for a month. Many uses, easy carry, fiddle-effective and pretty as all get-out.

Going for another in a different cover.

Glad you finally got it and I hope it lives up to the expectation.

:DRamen is a beauty !
Thanks. Hopefully my expectations aren't too high, but I have a good feeling about Ramen.
I have one of these on the way, too. I wasn't planning on buying any more knives this year, but the blade combo was too hard to pass up.

If you do do your month challenge, I hope you'll post pictures along the way. I'd love to follow along. You develop such nice patinas on your knives. I'm sure this one will develop some amazing character if it's with you every day for a month. :thumbsup:
I'll take pictures, for sure. I enjoy seeing patina develop. Now, I didn't say Ramen would be a sole carry, just that I'd carry him every day. ;) I would miss having a Lambsfoot along.

I present to you:
"Ramen"

UJD1yLT.jpg
F6IMy3F.jpg
Nice shots !
I think when mine arrives later this week I’m going to name her Jasmine .
Since I might be living on the 6 boxes of Jasmine rice I have in the freezer to get me threw the month . I recently ran out of Top “Ramen” Normally it’s my side dish but it just might be the main course :D

I’m glad I am not the only one with a “problem”. I have 3 knives on order (a 77 and two 92’s) and I still want just one 29!

Thanks, r8shell, they are very similar but not the same. I thought the 92 looked a little slimmer, and it definitely is when seen side by side.

I agree on all fronts! :thumbsup:

So far I have the jigged bone I bought in T'ville, and no blade has rapped!!;)

Mine no longer has rap. I shouldn't have posted the question. I hesitated to post this, as it reveals my boneheadedness, but I straight up forgot that I dropped the kick some on my #29. I got it right when they became available, and I found that the clip point tip was very easy to catch a finger on. It was right at or even slightly proud, and jutted far enough past the other blades that it just seemed like an inconvenience at best to me (I'm overly sensitive about proud tips, I fully admit it). So I dropped the kick slightly and forgot about it. I packed it up for the Rendezvous and when I finally got it out a couple days or so ago I noticed the blade rap. I don't know if it had blade rap before I dropped the kick, as I hadn't sharpened it then. Anyway I've sharpened it a bunch and it no longer has blade rap.

I've improved, but I still find my mouth outrunning my brain. o_O

Back