2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Nice shots !
I think when mine arrives later this week I’m going to name her Jasmine .
Since I might be living on the 6 boxes of Jasmine rice I have in the freezer to get me threw the month . I recently ran out of Top “Ramen” Normally it’s my side dish but it just might be the main course :D

I miscalculated I only have 3 boxes so I might be in trouble :eek:
ZrPqm8A.jpg
Fortunately, I recently invested in a jar of peanut butter, so I should have enough protein to get through the week. ;):thumbsup:

Thanks, r8shell, they are very similar but not the same. I thought the 92 looked a little slimmer, and it definitely is when seen side by side.
You're welcome. Every time I pull out the #92, it's smaller than I remember. Something about the proportions of it make me expect it to be a longer knife.

For those of you that have carried them extensively, how does the acrylic hold up to wear?

I doubt i will be able to grab one, but those coffeehouse sfo’s sure are purty.

I present to you:
"Ramen"

UJD1yLT.jpg
F6IMy3F.jpg
The knife shines bright on these pictures!
Maybe the background and light intensify the shades of red, brown, orange and white...
but it seems like the colors of the handles are flowing together beautifully.:):thumbsup:

The knife shines bright on these pictures!
Maybe the background and light intensify the shades of red, brown, orange and white...
but it seems like the colors of the handles are flowing together beautifully.:):thumbsup:
Thank you. It's hard to get a good picture in the afternoon sometimes, with the sun being so bright. I moved into the shade and used the "rich tone" setting on the cell phone camera.

For those of you that have carried them extensively, how does the acrylic hold up to wear?

It scuffs up to a smoky finish after a while but is durable.

76D800E5-D457-4616-A1B2-1D92D2EDE3AC.jpeg

Received my Tidioute Burnt Sienna Jigged Bone yesterday. Good size and heft without being too heavy. I didn’t notice the three spring setup making it too thick. Carried it in a slip in the back pocket of my jeans. Good snap on all blades, with the pull on the clip being about a 7 and a 6 on the two secondaries. Nice, darkly dyed bone.
This one has the feel of one my grandfather would have carried and I think it will be up to most daily cutting chores. Very happy with this model...well done GEC!

That maple leaf shield is very cool. I hope I don't miss out when those knives are available to purchase.

They must have really stiffened those pulls up a lot!!!

I was very surprised, myself. I had heard so much about the soft pulls, I was expecting something along the lines of the last Calf Ropers. This one definitely has a fairly stiff pull. Granted, I haven’t flushed out the joint, but it really doesn’t feel gritty.

I have been carrying and using my 29 GBM acrylic since they were released. The acrylic looks just as it did when I got it. Sharp, deep and amazingly colorful.

View attachment 1182411

Received my Tidioute Burnt Sienna Jigged Bone yesterday. Good size and heft without being too heavy. I didn’t notice the three spring setup making it too thick. Carried it in a slip in the back pocket of my jeans. Good snap on all blades, with the pull on the clip being about a 7 and a 6 on the two secondaries. Nice, darkly dyed bone.
This one has the feel of one my grandfather would have carried and I think it will be up to most daily cutting chores. Very happy with this model...well done GEC!

Being essentially the same knives with different covers, I doubt that the pulls are significantly different from one example to another. My GBM has what i term an easy but still firm pull, clicking nicely into the half stops. I’m particularly sensitive to pull (spring pressure) because my seven rounds of chemotherapy had basically destroyed my fingernails. Some knives rated with a strong pull, say 7 and above, I just can’t open. Rips off segments of my nails. In that regard, I would rate the 29 main and sheepfoot blades a 5, maybe a 4, which is perfect for me. The awl/punch is harder because the nail mark is further from the tip, decreasing the leverage. It is maybe a 6.

For me, the design, blade selection, size and quality make the 29 a significant user knife.

Mine came on Monday. Yours is very red compared to mine. Mine is closer to "antique amber ", perhaps a bit darker.

The pic is somewhat off. Some of that is the evening lighting and how my iPhone was reading it, giving it a very warm look. For instance, the wood on the background table looks reddish in the pic, but is really more brown. I would characterize the true color of the covers on mine as being more of an amber-orange, rather than red.

The pic is somewhat off. Some of that is the evening lighting and how my iPhone was reading it, giving it a very warm look. For instance, the wood on the background table looks reddish in the pic, but is really more brown. I would characterize the true color of the covers on mine as being more of an amber-orange, rather than red.
Ah. I was wondering if you got a redder one, or was it a trick of the light. My old phone camera either can't adjust to low light, or is overwhelmed by the sun. Hmm...sounds a lot like my old eyes...;)
Not my best photo, but reasonably accurate color:
7mS6tWB.jpg

Real stupid question here but why does this thing have two different names? Doesn't really matter though cause I just ordered one. Oh my,me oh my,what did I do ? And all because it has a punch that I can find a million jobs for on the farm.I can even add more holes to my belt as my belly grows or shrinks, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
I can even add more holes to my belt as my belly grows or shrinks, whichever comes first.

:D

Riffing on some of the other recent themes:

Announcing the new Stockyard diet plan! Buy one of each variation and watch your food budget plummet and waistline diminish. No new belt required: just use the punch to add new holes as you lose inches. Act now, supplies are limited! Operators are standing by...

:D

Riffing on some of the other recent themes:

Announcing the new Stockyard diet plan! Buy one of each variation and watch your food budget plummet and waistline diminish. No new belt required: just use the punch to add new holes as you lose inches. Act now, supplies are limited! Operators are standing by...
lOL. I love it.

It's here!

tebAjkSh.jpg

iDYz5BWh.jpg

I predict I'm going to like this one. It certainly has the makings of being a useful, versatile pocketknife.

It looks like the bone on the pile side didn't take the dye too well, but that's natural materials for you. :) Running my fingers over the jigging, it feels a bit sharp, but some pocket time and use should resolve that nicely, I think.

Regarding the pulls, they're perfect in my opinion.

ETA: this is the sharpest-from-the-factory GEC I've had. I'll still put my own edges on the clip and sheepsfoot (or, as it looks to my whittler's eyes, big coping) blades, but these appear to be right on the cusp of being able to shave arm hair.

Last edited:
Back