2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Got my M&G today...it is a wonderful knife and as beautiful in person as I imagined. The main blade pull is about the same as the Tidioute Burnt Sienna I have...around a 5. In this case, I definitely appreciate it because there isn't a lot of room to grab the nail nick/pull on these and it would be troublesome if the main blade had a strong pull.
I also appreciate the extras that come with this one. Very well done :thumbsup:
View attachment 1183041
View attachment 1183042
View attachment 1183043

I agree waverave, wonderful knife.:thumbsup: Got one myself that arrived over the weekend. I won't bother to post any pics here as you captured all the beauty of the knife with your exceptional photography. :) Enjoy!

View attachment 1183090

I flushed out the joints tonight with Dawn and hot water and worked the blade vigorously while rinsing all the soap out. There was some black gunk that came out, along with some little dark pieces of something solid. Dried it with an alcohol bath and compressed air, then oiled the joints with Rem Oil. The action is much improved! The clip is a solid 6 to the half stop and the sheep foot and awl are a 5. Totally subjective of course, but I can see an obvious improvement.
This pic also shows the actual color of the bone.
Yours seems to be a richer amber color near the bolsters. Very nice!

There didn't seem to be much gunk in mine, so I just wiped it down and started carrying it. This morning I noticed a tiny hint of side to side movement in the main blade. I'm not at all picky about blade rub or uneven springs or other things I consider cosmetic, but I hate blade-play. Especially on a new knife that I intend to use a lot, it'll only get worse over time. Just to make sure, I worked the blade under hot soapy water, dried with alcohol, and poured enough Norton's oil to run out through the backsprings while opening and closing the blades.

I'm happy to say the side movement is gone. The pull is still a nice snappy 5, maybe a little bit smoother. The coping and awl are about a 6. There must have been a little buffing compound or something in the works, effecting the fit. If I hold it up to a strong light, I don't see any gaps at all.

So all is well, and it's time to sharpen. :cool::thumbsup:

@waynorth

Wasl0rt.jpg

They look pretty good, eh?
View attachment 1182426
Got on the list a bit late. Hope I am able to get one!

Jasmine has arrived :D
Very happy with this one and DLT hooked me up with another nice one .
Really liking the covers and coloring , excellent blade centering and very nice walk and talk . My Osage wood has a little weaker snap on the main blade but I still thought was acceptable and this one definitely bumped it up even higher on my like list . I’ll try to get some better pictures with natural lighting in the days to come but these are pretty accurate :thumbsup:
9k6hAkp.jpg

Jsraf4p.jpg

A pleasant surprise I just realized the back spring is completely flush when closed and in the half stop position :eek: :thumbsup:
Big Thanks to GEC for making such a beautiful knife and DLT for hooking me up with this beautiful example !
Just for the record it’s not a deal breaker for me for a knife not to have the above but it is a treat when it is :)
ZVWoJh5.jpg

fQ2Bi2m.jpg

Excuse the oil on the back spring and liner but it is literally fresh out of the tube and haven’t even wiped her down yet.
hPkfuyz.jpg

Last edited:
A pleasant surprise I just realized the back spring is completely flush when closed and in the half stop position :eek: :thumbsup:
Big Thanks to GEC for making such a beautiful knife and DLT for hooking me up with this beautiful example !
Just for the record it’s not a dealer breaker for me for a knife not to have the above but it is a treat when it is :)
ZVWoJh5.jpg

fQ2Bi2m.jpg

Excuse the oil on the back spring and liner but it is literally fresh out of the tube and haven’t even wiped her down yet.
hPkfuyz.jpg

Definitely jealous. What a great example.

Thank you :)
I’m beyond happy and that was just the “surprise”frosting on the cake .
I hope mine looks just as good when it arrives. I got mine ordered from the same place but I never told them to hand pick one for me, however, I never got anything bad from them yet.

I hope mine looks just as good when it arrives. I got mine ordered from the same place but I never told them to hand pick one for me, however, I never got anything bad from them yet.
I don’t always have requests when I order unless I know if that particular model has had previous issues . This one I just asked if possible for some nice matching covers with decent blade centering.I normally always had great luck with DLT also no matter what :thumbsup:

As weird as it may be, out of all #29 versions, I am most attracted to osage. Probably it's because I feel like northfield trim would be out of place on a hard working knife like this one is supposed to be and that nail nick suits it better. And a light hued wood would be a novelty on GEC to me. Anyway, if I finally decide to get one, it would be named 'Havre Gryn' (norwegian for oatmeal). And the colour would also match quite a bit.

Found this one on a social media with many pictures.
IMG-20180811-152752-png.jpg

Looks about right to me. :D

Back