1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 21, 2019.

1. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I agree waverave, wonderful knife.:thumbsup: Got one myself that arrived over the weekend. I won't bother to post any pics here as you captured all the beauty of the knife with your exceptional photography. :) Enjoy!

waverave likes this.
  2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Yours seems to be a richer amber color near the bolsters. Very nice!

There didn't seem to be much gunk in mine, so I just wiped it down and started carrying it. This morning I noticed a tiny hint of side to side movement in the main blade. I'm not at all picky about blade rub or uneven springs or other things I consider cosmetic, but I hate blade-play. Especially on a new knife that I intend to use a lot, it'll only get worse over time. Just to make sure, I worked the blade under hot soapy water, dried with alcohol, and poured enough Norton's oil to run out through the backsprings while opening and closing the blades.

I'm happy to say the side movement is gone. The pull is still a nice snappy 5, maybe a little bit smoother. The coping and awl are about a 6. There must have been a little buffing compound or something in the works, effecting the fit. If I hold it up to a strong light, I don't see any gaps at all.

So all is well, and it's time to sharpen. :cool::thumbsup:

TheFactor, Gevonovich, Dschal and 7 others like this.
  3. Ajd3530

Ajd3530

Jan 20, 2017
    Wish they would have made either the Snakewood or Bloodwood one with satin blades.. Satin bladed Northfields are the epitome of class.

nyrico, JohnDF, Travman and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sabercat

Sabercat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Screenshot_20190822-163649_Chrome.jpg

Guessing this is going to be the most popular non-sfo. They do look great!

5. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    The pinched bolsters look very nice.

TheFactor and Sabercat like this.
  6. biomed

biomed Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Got on the list a bit late. Hope I am able to get one!

7. TheFactor

TheFactor Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Jasmine has arrived :D
    Very happy with this one and DLT hooked me up with another nice one .
    Really liking the covers and coloring , excellent blade centering and very nice walk and talk . My Osage wood has a little weaker snap on the main blade but I still thought was acceptable and this one definitely bumped it up even higher on my like list . I’ll try to get some better pictures with natural lighting in the days to come but these are pretty accurate :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    A pleasant surprise I just realized the back spring is completely flush when closed and in the half stop position :eek: :thumbsup:
    Big Thanks to GEC for making such a beautiful knife and DLT for hooking me up with this beautiful example !
    Just for the record it’s not a deal breaker for me for a knife not to have the above but it is a treat when it is :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Excuse the oil on the back spring and liner but it is literally fresh out of the tube and haven’t even wiped her down yet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  9. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Definitely jealous. What a great example.

TheFactor likes this.
  10. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Thank you :)
    I’m beyond happy and that was just the “surprise”frosting on the cake .

Boxer .45 and Ripcord 82 like this.
  11. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    I hope mine looks just as good when it arrives. I got mine ordered from the same place but I never told them to hand pick one for me, however, I never got anything bad from them yet.

TheFactor likes this.
  12. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    It was a toss up between this and the ebony M&G, the ebony won. Now I'm looking at the snakewood. I didn't even want this damn pattern, but the osage one pushed me. Gahhh

13. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    I don’t always have requests when I order unless I know if that particular model has had previous issues . This one I just asked if possible for some nice matching covers with decent blade centering.I normally always had great luck with DLT also no matter what :thumbsup:

Ripcord 82 likes this.
  14. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Same here the Osage definitely got the juices flowing which in turn made me want the Sienna burnt Jigged bone :thumbsup:

Boxer .45 and Ripcord 82 like this.
  15. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Stay tuned, my Sienna is out for delivery for sometime today.

TheFactor likes this.
  16. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Nice !
    Great way to start the weekend :thumbsup:

Ripcord 82 likes this.
  17. MCar

MCar

Jul 20, 2015
    These snakewood DO look great. I hope I can land one. But I gotta say, I think the bloodwood may still have the edge on the snakewood. Love me some bloodwood. :D

Sabercat likes this.
  18. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    As weird as it may be, out of all #29 versions, I am most attracted to osage. Probably it's because I feel like northfield trim would be out of place on a hard working knife like this one is supposed to be and that nail nick suits it better. And a light hued wood would be a novelty on GEC to me. Anyway, if I finally decide to get one, it would be named 'Havre Gryn' (norwegian for oatmeal). And the colour would also match quite a bit.

Found this one on a social media with many pictures.
    [​IMG]
    Looks about right to me. :D

Onearmbladenut, Geff, zolthar and 7 others like this.
  19. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Accidental double post.

20. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Yep, I think I am going to like my #29 just fine. Perfect! Just got it in the mail today.

[​IMG]

Onearmbladenut, JohnDF, Don W and 7 others like this.