2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Luckily, the Northfield characteristic that I don’t care for will be easily flitzed off.
8zlwg9M.jpg

Anybody notice the tinest of Blade Rap near the tip of their Clip blade after closing? I do the finger nail test after sharpening to see if I missed any part of the edge or consistency of sharpening and noticed on both my Stag and GBM developed just a very minute area where the blade raps against the back spring. Sure enough after skating off the nail I looked and there's a very small blunt area 1/4" back from the tip of the Clip on both knives.

This is not a big deal for me as continued sharpening will cure the problem most times (worked on a couple of my 85's) but on both of my 29's I wasn't eliminating this (very minor) issue. I did graduate up to a round/flat cutting wheel on my dremel to lightly work a very small channel in the back spring and Viola!!! all good:thumbsup: Now this may cause discern among some members here but I've done it before with a 66 and there too it corrected what sharpening wouldn't.

This is NOT a complaint against GEC because MANY brands have this issue in certain knives. Not sure if there's a bigger GEC fan than me and because I can rectify the issue there is no need to send back for something I can do:thumbsup: I also know you can walk the blade closed but I don't do thato_O;):)

Last edited:
Anybody notice the tinest of Blade Rap near the tip of their Clip blade after closing? I do the finger nail test after sharpening to see if I missed any part of the edge or consistency of sharpening and noticed on both my Stag and GBM developed just a very minute area where the blade raps against the back spring. Sure enough after skating off the nail I looked and there's a very small blunt area 1/4" back from the tip of the Clip on both knives.

This is not a big deal for me as continued sharpening will cure the problem most times (worked on a couple of my 85's) but on both of my 29's I wasn't eliminating this (very minor) issue. I did graduate up to a round/flat cutting wheel on my dremel to lightly work a very small channel in the back spring and Viola!!! all good:thumbsup: Now this may cause discern among some members here but I've done it before with a 66 and there too it corrected what sharpening wouldn't.

This is NOT a complaint against GEC because MANY brands have this issue in certain knives. Not sure if there's a bigger GEC fan than me and because I can rectify the issue there is no need to send back for something I can do:thumbsup: I also know you can walk the blade closed but I don't do thato_O;):)

I haven't looked at all of them, but just checked my bloodwood. I opened all the blades but the main and shone a flashlight on one side of the blade, there is lots of room from what I can see all the way down the blade. While the main is closed and the others are open you can push down a little towards the tip end and it should tell you if there's clearance if it goes down a little. Probably wouldn't push down like crazy.

Hopefully all of mine are like that. I'll check tomorrow.

I haven't looked at all of them, but just checked my bloodwood. I opened all the blades but the main and shone a flashlight on one side of the blade, there is lots of room from what I can see all the way down the blade. While the main is closed and the others are open you can push down a little towards the tip end and it should tell you if there's clearance if it goes down a little. Probably wouldn't push down like crazy.

Hopefully all of mine are like that. I'll check tomorrow.
I totally agree upon inspection on mine Boxer that there is ample clearance, it just comes from snapping the blade closed normally that the blade bounces/springs a bit allowing it to make contact with the back spring. If closed by hand there is zero blade rap:thumbsup:

I totally agree upon inspection on mine Boxer that there is ample clearance, it just comes from snapping the blade closed normally that the blade bounces/springs a bit allowing it to make contact with the back spring. If closed by hand there is zero blade rap:thumbsup:

The only one with heavy snap is my osage, but I'll check and watch them for sure.

The snap close on my snakewood is fairly soft on the clip (others are quite snappy), but I generally walk them all closed so it doesn't bother me. It seems like there's plenty of room there, and I haven't noticed any rap.
Having said that, when I got mine the last quarter inch or so of the clip was not fully sharpened... not even close! There was a fairly flat edge there, so I had to spend a bit of time on the stones to get a sharpened edge on it.
But now that I've sharpened it, I'm loving the thin blades on this thing. The clip and sheep will make great slicing blades!

Haven’t noticed any blade rap on mine yet. Although my stag and maple have been safe queens as I just take them out periodically to admire as there still sporting the factory oil. But my Osage and burnt jig don’t for sure but I normally don’t slam them just push until they start to close and release pressure.
Just a habit I’ve picked up over the years .

Last edited:
Haven’t noticed any blade rap on mine yet. Although my stag and maple have been safe queens as I just take them out periodically to admire as there still sporting the factory oil. But my Osage and burnt jig don’t for sure but I normally don’t slam them just push until they start to close and release pressure.
Just a habit I’ve picked up over the years .
That's how I close my blades as well Ed, just to the point were they start to close on their own:thumbsup:

That's how I close my blades as well Ed, just to the point were they start to close on their own:thumbsup:
Right on Paul and didn’t mean to insinuate that you were :)
But I know some folks do and there’s nothing wrong with over assisting or closing hard but some patterns don’t like it.

Right on Paul and didn’t mean to insinuate that you were :)
But I know some folks do and there’s nothing wrong with over assisting or closing hard but some patterns don’t like it.
Ed, I didn't take it that way at all my friend and glad yours have no blade rap. Mine is minor, it just is a personal thing as I obsess over edges:eek::D

I sometimes close mine by hand, and sometimes close it against my pant leg. Neither are aggressive. So I'm good. :)

I have had many Great Eastern Cutlery knives. None of them exhibited evidence showing that the edge had hit the spring. Perhaps I am lucky. Perhaps “blade rap” has been overblown.

Back