2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

One of 12...
"Great Eastern really surprised me with these. The etching on the blade is really nice and has American Whittler spelled out. Only a dozen of these knives were made, yet they created a custom label for the tubes. They even made a commemorative button. These knives are truly unique offerings resulting from the run of the model 29’s"
thanks, rdave, you slipped in a post as I was typing and answered my question...

What? Where did those come from? I would be / would have been so in on that offering! So bummed if I missed it, I love this pattern, and smooth bone would have been amazing!

Thats nice! Tidioute bolsters on a Northfield?
more from Roy;
" I have 12 of these knives available for purchase. These model 29 whittlers have Northfield blades alongside Tidioute smooth bolsters. The scales are smooth orange bone with a crest shield inlaid. In fact, the entire outside of this knife is smooth."

more from Roy;
" I have 12 of these knives available for purchase. These model 29 whittlers have Northfield blades alongside Tidioute smooth bolsters. The scales are smooth orange bone with a crest shield inlaid. In fact, the entire outside of this knife is smooth."
For my future reference, I guess... who's Roy? So disappointed I missed this one.

Roy produces American Whittlers!!! I missed them too!! Bah humbug!!!:mad:
To be fair, 12 knives don't go far for us lolly-scramblers!!!:D
If you are not at your email, you've got no chance!!!:rolleyes:

I love my run of the mill red jigged Northfield

B6mkn3q.jpg

Yep, these look sweet. Be a very happy dozen collectors out there. These just may be the cream of the #29 crop. Definitely the rarest. Well done GEC!

I wouldn't be surprised if the smooth orange 29s were originally destined to be special knives at next year's rendezvous.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, though. They sure are beautiful!

I'm a big fan of SAK's. I think their quality to price ratio is off the charts. That said, I've been losing weight and so have been having to punch new holes in all my belts. The punch/awl/reamer on the 29 works much better than the ones on my SAKs. The more I use this knife, the more I like it ;)

Got my stag in yesterday, what a knife! Expect some “stag Saturday” pics as I don’t have time until then to get decent lighting, but wanted to share thoughts here for now.

This wasn’t a pattern I was much interested in and probably wouldn’t have bought if not for finding some stag I liked. Previously had a Dixie Stockman I ended up returning for multiple reasons including boring stag, gaps at the bolsters, poorly centered blades, and bad blade grinds-including an obviously burnt tip on the clip. The 29 by contrast has none of these issues. Even grinds/swedges, centered blades, well fit covers, and of course as I mentioned-excellent stag. Pull/snap is to my liking and the action won’t take much breaking in. Much happier with this one, it’s a definite keeper.

Had I a chance to handle one before purchase, a few of the other covers likely would have gotten my approval I’m sure. Need to funnel some more dough into the knife fund and keep an eye on the exchange for some deals. Highly recommend, get one.

Back