2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

I'm afraid both would be just too much.
xMHYETq.jpg

:D
Touche'!

I have a 79 Workhorse Whittler with three springs. It is obviously thicker than a split-back Whittler or a stockman. However, an advantages of of the three spring layout is that the secondary blades are larger. The secondaries are almost full sized especially when compared to most split-back whittlers or stockman. Hopefully this characteristic carries over to 29 Humpback.

I was very pleased to see there was a version of this knife without the punch. I actually think the punch is very handy to have on a knife but my weak fingernails make them almost impossible to open. :confused:o_O :D

I was very pleased to see there was a version of this knife without the punch. I actually think the punch is very handy to have on a knife but my weak fingernails make them almost impossible to open. :confused:o_O :D
The M&G variations will be a nice option for some that don't like or can't use the punch. I am curious to see what shields they end up with...the ebony version catches my eye :thumbsup:

Not sure if I'm looking at this right, but those don't appear to be very thick for a three spring. Maybe those are still not fully assembled?

If it's just spring on spring on spring, like the Bucks, it won't be much thicker than a normal two spring knife ...

Correct no liners on these so it won't be much different than two spring with liners.

I think a punch on a knife is useless . All these #29 knives should have beer cap openers , not punches. I want the snakewood #29. No snakewood , no #29 knife for me.
It so funny becuase I've been saying for years that the most ideal configuration is a clip, sheep, punch, but GEC never makes it. They made it on the 98 and I tried it, but it was so darn big! If they made that on a #35, man.....I could go to heaven. Why is a punch useless??? I can't tell you how often I'm tempted to prey something (light to medium) with my pocket knife, but I stop...fearing what will happen. With a punch, you can get a lot more frisky without worrying about.

A wise man once said, "Give me a traditional with a clip, sheep and punch and I can move the world."

I've basically no experience with linerless knives (or maybe I've never noticed). At least one pro is obvious (a thinner overall package). What are the cons? Are there other pros?

Well I can definitely see the butter now :)
View attachment 1162443

I'm a zealot for acrylic but can't enthuse about this offering...don't know about butter, more in the style of Catbarf ...:eek::D

These aren't linerless , they don't have internal spacers/dividers I suppose?

Lot of people are gong to revel in this pattern, it's legit, different and useful. But not on my manor.

I'm a zealot for acrylic but can't enthuse about this offering...don't know about butter, more in the style of Catbarf ...:eek::D

These aren't linerless , they don't have internal spacers/dividers I suppose?

Lot of people are gong to revel in this pattern, it's legit, different and useful. But not on my manor.
I think Neptune acrylic is the best GEC has ever used. After that, this butter/grits may be tied for second with runaway beagle. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Totally serious.

Last edited:
It so funny becuase I've been saying for years that the most ideal configuration is a clip, sheep, punch, but GEC never makes it. They made it on the 98 and I tried it, but it was so darn big! If they made that on a #35, man.....I could go to heaven. Why is a punch useless??? I can't tell you how often I'm tempted to prey something (light to medium) with my pocket knife, but I stop...fearing what will happen. With a punch, you can get a lot more frisky without worrying about.

A wise man once said, "Give me a traditional with a clip, sheep and punch and I can move the world."
Yep. I have a Case stockman in this configuration (but with a thin Turkish clip), and the punch is very useful. Perfect for clearing out epoxy tube nozzles, and all manner of messy scraping jobs, leaving the other two blades for clean slicing. :cool::thumbsup:

Back