2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Like I've been sayin they won't be bulky. No liners, and thin backspring and blade stock. This one is going to be a winner. I can't wait.

I’m not to familiar with the GEC punches...do you have an edge? That would be useful for reaming.

I’m not to familiar with the GEC punches...do you have an edge? That would be useful for reaming.
They have been different versions just about each run. The punch @waynorth had made for the 15 pattern is one of my favorites as it is not like a typical punch. It is a tapered triangle all the way to the tip, it is like having a small straight blade that is like a needle on the end. The punch @waynor5h had put on the camp knives has the milled awl section, so who knows. Charlie, where's that picture of all the different punch patterns/trademarks? I recall someone posting them at onetime or another.

The first GEC punch knife was the #54 Cuban Harness Jack, this one from 2008. The entire straight edge is sharp.

9F1FRJP.jpg

That acrylic looks classy! Not my style but classy nonetheless. If I get one it'll def. have to have the punch. I like it.

Mike just sent out an e-mail stating that GEc is splitting the snakewood run up with half bloodwood. I would think that snake wood is giving them problems again, I was actually surprised to see them offer it again with the problems they have had before.

Mike just sent out an e-mail stating that GEc is splitting the snakewood run up with half bloodwood. I would think that snake wood is giving them problems again, I was actually surprised to see them offer it again with the problems they have had before.
Interesting. I thought most of their problems with snakewood on the 47 stemmed from the wood's temperament around that lanyard hole. If that was the case, I can't blame GEC for using the wood again on a knife with no lanyard hole. I mean, GEC has certainly used this wood in the past before the 47s (and presumably with no problems). But, yeah, if they've hit problems again, it may push them away from using it in the future. Very interesting news. The good part is that both woods are so great. I'd be hard pressed to say which I'd prefer on a #29. Seems like you win no matter which you end up with.

This particular material doesn't do it for me but I am pretty sold on the pattern at this point. Might have to grab a few along the way.
View attachment 1163754
View attachment 1163755
View attachment 1163756
First peek at the punch...
View attachment 1163757
View attachment 1163759
Call me a fuddy duddy, but I dont understand why bother using a three spring design (which purpose is to be able to stuff as much blade as possible into the length of the frame of the knife, since the blades don't have to share space with another) if you aren't going to bother putting in blades that are any longer than you'd have in a traditional 2 spring stockman pattern. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Got the email.
“It seems as if GEC has split the Northfield Snakewood and is doing half in snakewood and half in bloodwood...”

Both will look great but I hope I’m able to get a snake wood since I don’t have any knives in that cover.

Call me a fuddy duddy, but I dont understand why bother using a three spring design (which purpose is to be able to stuff as much blade as possible into the length of the frame of the knife, since the blades don't have to share space with another) if you aren't going to bother putting in blades that are any longer than you'd have in a traditional 2 spring stockman pattern. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Interesting point. I think they are certainly longer than what we'd see in a whittler and may even be a bit longer than what we'd see in a 2-spring model, like a stock knife. But I do see what you're saying. They aren't exactly full length and, presumably, they could have been. But I think we should hold off judgement until we get a closer look. GEC usually does its stuff right. Perhaps we'll see better or understand when we get a better look.

Back