2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Kind of disappointed in the shape of the punch.

And here I was thinking I like it. This will be hard to resist, with it's perfect blade combo, even though it's too short for me. Here's hoping that the lolly scramble makes it moot.

Regarding the secondary blade length/proportion. Look at the first and second pics that waverdave posted on page 8. Specifically look at the secondary in the closed position. Had the blades been longer, they may have protruded out from the frame to accommodate the angle of the blade in the well as a result of the hump. Or, and I speculate, a longer blade would have left the secondary in the closed position not falling between two fingers as gec has perfected. Or, as gec regularly does, both secondaries were meant to terminate equally in length in the well and the punch limited the length. Or, look at the cope blades knick. It can't move more forward due to the pattern, so a longer blade would yield a goofy placed knick too far back in the blade length. I think it's going to be juuuuuust right....

Liking what I'm seeing! On standby for jigged bone and acrylic. The GBM acrylic looks a lot better finished than its raw form.

I might be interested in the white bone one, but there is the required etch and every blade they have in stock has multiple etches on each knife. I'm probably out on this model due to less interesting covers, and etches.

I might be interested in the white bone one, but there is the required etch and every blade they have in stock has multiple etches on each knife. I'm probably out on this model due to less interesting covers, and etches.
There's a white bone one?!? Who is that?

Etches are never a dealbreaker for me. They are temporary on a carbon blade. If you don't like patina, you can remove with a little Flitz polish.

There's a white bone one?!? Who is that?

Etches are never a dealbreaker for me. They are temporary on a carbon blade. If you don't like patina, you can remove with a little Flitz polish.

Maher and Grosh. Its on the whats happening page
Screenshot_20190719-101545_Samsung Internet.jpg

^ That white bone will become Smooth Appaloosa according to the schedule. Still a nice variation if you also want a Spey blade in place of the punch.

^ That white bone will become Smooth Appaloosa according to the schedule. Still a nice variation if you also want a Spey blade in place of the punch.
Oh good, thanks. What a relief. I'll already be on the beans & toast diet through August for the Tidioute goldenrod I have reserved.

Oh good, thanks. What a relief. I'll already be on the beans & toast diet through August for the Tidioute goldenrod I have reserved.

Lol - beans and toast.

No Spey, eh? Or the bone? I like the look of Appaloosa.

I may have missed it, will these have half stops anyone know?

I may have missed it, will these have half stops anyone know?
Not sure, but if it's true to GEC whittler form & function; the punch & secondary blade will have half stops. Main will not. It is a three spring though. Hope they a have haft stop. Just my guess.

I was betting against a lolly scramble for a 3 blade with a punch. But insert the word “whittler” and who knows. :cool:

Back