2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

If you are 10 minutes from KnivesShipFree I envy you, would be their a few times a week playing with knives..also scoring every Northwoods in person!
If i was that close, i would run into you several times a week.:D

:cool: ONE gate maybe ;)

Jacks by definition should be 2 blade, but Barlows? Uh uh FAR better in singles:D Double blade it becomes Barlow Jack. And you know what they say about Jacks being of all trades but master of none...;):D
All Barlows are Jacks not all Jacks are Barlows.;) Love a 2 blade Jack/Barlow. Finally have my 1st 86 in the mail tomorrow, I can't wait.

If you are 10 minutes from KnivesShipFree I envy you, would be their a few times a week playing with knives..also scoring every Northwoods in person!
Doesn't work that way with Northwoods. I asked. I would have to order online and then pick it up.

Forum Knife blades now in production on GEC's site:cool:

Think I made an error in not going for one of these :eek: Does depend on the size of the shield though;)

bf-blades.jpg

Seeing these photos makes me second guess sitting this one out. I guess I do have the forum knife and the black jack coming my way which share the frame.

At any rate, seems like another great knife for 2019.

Seeing these photos makes me second guess sitting this one out. I guess I do have the forum knife and the black jack coming my way which share the frame.

At any rate, seems like another great knife for 2019.
I'm in the exact same boat, nice to have company. Hope the Forum Knife gets sent soon before I second guess myself into a tizzy. ;)

Just arrived ! :)

Close to perfect in every way !

4MzAitJ.jpg

I agree, Steve. Congrats on a fine SFO, Barry!
h4AqQvo.jpg

Nice going, Barry, and GEC!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
That Bloodwood has such nice chatoyance, every time I bring it near a window it shakes hands with the Sun!!!:cool::D
View attachment 1238988

Great knives guys, congrats.:thumbsup: That was the one I was waiting for from the very beginning. The random drop didn't work out so well for me but, there will be others.:rolleyes:;)

Received my 86 Bloodwood from Barry today, thank you, it's something else, nice F&F and the pull is just right for me and this wood and shield combo look great together. I like the 2 blade 86 more than I thought I would and it's not much bigger than some of my other EDCs, just a little more weight. Right now I don't plan on carrying it but will admire the wood change with different lighting. My only other Bloodwood was a smaller knife and I don't remember it looking this good.

86bw1.jpg 86bw4.jpg

I've been looking forward to checking my mailbox all day! My postman is usually a bit later on Mondays so it made my anticipation all that more poignant.

The moment arrived, I quickly retrieved the parcel, and I opened it up as quickly as possible. This is the one 86 (other than Charlie's and the Forum knife) that I had been greatly looking forward to and it certainly does not disappoint.

This is the first GEC knife I've acquired in Bloodwood and I've heard complaints in the past over it being rather boring, especially when compared to woods like Ironwood and Cocobolo. Well, I will have to say that whatever misgivings I might have had over a lackluster showing were rapidly put to rest as soon as this beautiful beast dropped from its tube. Charlie mentioned chatoyance and this knife has it in spades, what a glorious example! Different lighting turns it into a completely different knife! It was a bit tricky getting some good shots of it...

Some additional thoughts:
  • Action/W&T --- I have difficulties assigning values to such things but if I were to compare its pull and snap to something recent, I would say it is quite similar to my 93 Lambsfoot knives. Nice, substantial pull, but not overly so, with a hearty snap into all positions. Very satisfactory, in my opinion.
  • Centering/Backspring --- Perfect centering on both blades. This is likely the first knife that I have acquired from GEC where the backspring is flush with the liners in the halfstop position. I can catch a nail on the secondary but overall, it is rather flush. It isn't something that matters a whole lot to me in the grand scheme of things but in this case, it was notable enough for me to comment on it. I think it a testament to how well made this knife is.
  • Overall F&F --- This is a finely made knife with excellent fit and finish. No gaps present, very smooth transitions, and no rough edges or corners. Despite domed pins, they aren't deep and I don't anticipate them being a collector of crud and such in the foreseeable future.
Overall, I am immensely pleased with this knife, it is a magnificent chunk of beautiful cutlery and I applaud Barry and GEC for seeing this wonderful SFO to fruition. It is going to get quite of bit of use from me, I can't wait!

Yuwa5Si.jpg

yjWUJof.jpg

VjCvL9r.jpg

dNbbYQf.jpg

boIxyko.jpg

Back