2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Anybody know what this highlight is? Just lighting and the brass liner? The one with the arrow looks like part of the cover is missing. I've never owned a tortoise shell acrylic before so just asking.
View attachment 1239520

waverave waverave
Yeah that is odd and I've never noticed that before. I'm not sure if that is a light trick or if there is like a paint on the sides of the acrylic to give them a better visual when grinding. At that stage, the acrylic is only roughly shaped.

Yeah that is odd and I've never noticed that before. I'm not sure if that is a light trick or if there is like a paint on the sides of the acrylic to give them a better visual when grinding. At that stage, the acrylic is only roughly shaped.

I just looked at some other pictures and it appears to be some kind of masking tape or paint?

IMG_0643.jpg

Knives of this size may be easiest to carry in a belt sheath. Carrying mine in the tube pocket of my Filson vest today. Here's my 86 compared to the Case 99 1/2; GEC packed a lot of blade into the 86 frame.

dXbHwIj.jpg
That’s a great idea Barry ! I have a beard and Owl just sitting around since I sold the knife I originally had for it.
Might give it a try although I prefer a lanyard on that type of carry as it makes it easier to snatch from the sheath.
qqvvgtg.jpg

Barry's SFO takes the laurels so far :cool: Even though my personal taste is not for large Jack Knives. Enjoyed reading the reviews, the cant of the blade is important & impressive, the 92s are also satisfyingly straight with the spring- a mark of care and skill. You can encounter some CASE and English knives that have a lot of cant/droop and I find it frankly :Dunpleasant.

The Bloodwood looks (bloody beautiful :D) it's a great pity that the Forum Knife passed over the opportunity to have such a rich and interesting wood, sticking with boring old Ford any colour you like now seems pedestrian :eek::D

Ok now I have to find out...let me ask someone at GEC :)
Really? It rather looks like some kind of tape to protect the liners/scales prior to installing the blades? Time will tell ;)

Whatever it is I'm okay with it now that I saw closer pictures. At first I was just concerned about it because I thought the liner was shinning through the acrylic somehow, weirdness. Lol.

Whatever it is I'm okay with it now that I saw closer pictures. At first I was just concerned about it because I thought the liner was shinning through the acrylic somehow, weirdness. Lol.
I never liked the feel of Acrylic and I’ve tried to many times lol because I like the look on some but always feels cheap in hand but that’s just me.

Really appreciative of the craftsmanship of Barry’s SFO. The bloodwood looks awesome. It’s only my second GEC knife and I’m chuffed with it. Wish I had a chance at the forum knife too, but I’m new here and wouldn’t have had a shot to order anyway. Will post a picture when I can!

Really appreciative of the craftsmanship of Barry’s SFO. The bloodwood looks awesome. It’s only my second GEC knife and I’m chuffed with it. Wish I had a chance at the forum knife too, but I’m new here and wouldn’t have had a shot to order anyway. Will post a picture when I can!
Thanks for reminding me about the forum knife I almost forgot I had two on order lol.Now I don’t feel as bad missing out on the sfo :D

The 2-blade 86 is a pretty hefty knife. I think the 1-blade forum knife will be much more pocket friendly unless you are fixated on a 2-blade like I am. I am glad that I got the Autumn Gold jigged bone version. The other jigged bone that has not hit retail yet looks great. I am generally not interested in a acrylic handled knife. The stags are last.... good marketing by GEC as many would have already purchased and would add the stag when they come out. I'm content with one and looking forward to the forum knife next month.

I think once some of the other 86's are about finished, completion of the forum knife will move forward rapidly. I know it will look great!

I think if the forum knife's pull is about the same as my 86, it will be just about perfect!

Last edited:
Reactions: AnW
No wobble. No spring gaps. Everything is flush. No blade rap.

Has anyone mentioned the spring is flush at the half-stop?

I'm a relative newbie, without a whole lot to compare to, but all my other specimens are somewhat proud at half...

Back