2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

How are you guys sharpening the main blade with the recurve? I used a ceramic rod but its not where I want it.
i haven't done it yet, but i will likely grind down the heal end of the blade on a course stone until the recurve is gone and then proceed to keep on profiling the rest of the edge to 20 degrees. I'm holding out until the BF forum knife is in hand, as i fully expect to like that more than the standard version with recurve clip point main. Reselling it shortly thereafter.

Don't see the slightest problem sharpening the 86 on an extra fine DMT stone.

Added: I won't sharpen it until I use it however unless it was as dull as a butter knife.

Last edited:
Is this wrong?
I found the perfect belt slip for this beautiful knife and it’s a case that I’ve had in my safe that was too big for a case knife I originally got it for.
Perfect combo but part of me feels like it’s like oil and water because its a case slip.
Thoughts?
ENI0FXm.jpg

CaRKDvC.jpg

The only acrylic GEC that I own is a #48 Improved Trapper. It was an impulse buy for the most part as I generally don't care for acrylic scales. So, you want three different Oil Field Jacks; what are you going to do with them? Collect?
I am koo koo for #86 Jacks. I want two to four more #86 jacks at the release date price. I will be using my 2nd Oily Creek Bone #86 Jack. The others are collectable back ups. I have a bad habit losing knives and giving some away to the deserving. "If it aint worth keeping, it aint worth giving !" I oil and clean my knives weekly. I got a spare bed full . I am pocket knife and cowboy revolver crazy. I have never sold or traded a knife in my live. I love to knife hunt and buy them. I am hooked awful ! I'll buy two to four more #86s . I will buy a #62 Easy Pocket Congress in Camel bone . I will go 2020 GEC Trapper Krazy after that. I also put in a pre-order on another snakewood 3" spear fixed blade town toter. I got blade sickness bad !

Don't see the slightest problem sharpening the 86 on an extra fine DMT stone.

Added: I won't sharpen it until I use it however unless it was as dull as a butter knife.
I cant get it to lay perfectly flat on the stone because of the recurve. It doesn't need it yet but I'd like to figure a method without buying new stones. I did see where someone used a technique using the edge of a stone.

I am koo koo for #86 Jacks. I want two to four more #86 jacks at the release date price. I will be using my 2nd Oily Creek Bone #86 Jack. The others are collectable back ups. I have a bad habit losing knives and giving some away to the deserving. "If it aint worth keeping, it aint worth giving !" I oil and clean my knives weekly. I got a spare bed full . I am pocket knife and cowboy revolver crazy. I have never sold or traded a knife in my live. I love to knife hunt and buy them. I am hooked awful ! I'll buy two to four more #86s . I will buy a #62 Easy Pocket Congress in Camel bone . I will go 2020 GEC Trapper Krazy after that. I also put in a pre-order on another snakewood 3" spear fixed blade town toter. I got blade sickness bad !
I am a fan of the 42's and the 86 is just a tad smaller. For a big slip joint, either of these work really well for me. You definitely have the GEC disease! ;) It is a good disease!

Buy two pocket knives , and call me in the morning!!:eek::D
Like the common cold, there is no cure.
I like the bigger ones, but I also like your little Barlow made on the 14 frame. Like it a lot actually.

I wonder what percentage of the entire GEC 86 run was purchased by Blade Forum members. I bet it is a lot higher than one would think.

I cant get it to lay perfectly flat on the stone because of the recurve. It doesn't need it yet but I'd like to figure a method without buying new stones. I did see where someone used a technique using the edge of a stone.
I haven't sharpened a 86 as the only one I have presently is new destined to be a Christmas gift. However I do have a 97, which also has a slight recurve.
98lL11V.jpg

I use my normal little accusharp diamond stone to sharpen it, I dont do anything specifically for the recurve just sharpen like normal.
aF6AN69.jpg

Could be that due to this not being very wide the entire edge doesn't contact it all at once. I think the recurve is so shallow that if you just sharpen pretty much as normal you'll find it isn't much of a problem. At least it works for me. :):thumbsup:

Absolutely stunning I love the Jigging and the Autumn Gold color on these covers!
Main blade flush at the half stop and the secondary is so close I’m going to say it is:D
Fit and Finish is remarkable Love this knife and a Big Thanks Barry for the lightning fast shipping and first class packaging.
Gunstock jack rocks the house ! :D
Cd6PCBo.jpg

FZYt5rq.jpg

Just when one would think it can’t get any better it does :eek:
Ok folks I have to admit I was sand bagging maybe a little and have had this one for a few days :D
Here she is my pride and joy !
Everything the Autumn Gold jigged bone is and then some it has definitely wowed me the past few days and just had to share my happiness couldn’t hold it in any longer lol. Thanks to Barry for making this beautiful knife happen with Gec and available to us knife nuts :D
The Blood wood is so so beautiful and OMG as those have mentioned get it in natural lighting and it goes from beautiful to magical!
Pictures really don’t do it justice.
9dRrrPF.jpg

ChUuBWA.jpg

t0zSy3i.jpg

Back