2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

You do a really good job with the pictures. The knives are shown much bigger than life sized or they are on my computer. Other than the Bloodwood, I like the sucker wood ones.
Thank you just using my new IPhone 11 Pro max before this one my iPhone 10s max and they take amazing pictures !
I love them all especially my favorite Barry’s SFO blood wood. The jigging and color of Autumn Gold jigged bone has really grown on my too.
Sucker wood is another classic no doubt with much character.
Unfortunately it looks like I missed out on Waynorths SFO so I’ll have to keep a eye out on the secondary market when they arrive unfortunately :(

Last edited:
Thank you just using my new IPhone 11 Pro max before this one my iPhone 10s max and they take amazing pictures !
I love them all especially my favorite Barry’s SFO blood wood. The jigging and color of Autumn Gold jigged bone has really grown on my too.
Sucker wood is another classic no doubt with much character.
Unfortunately it looks like I missed out on Waynorths SFO so I’ll have to keep a eye out on the secondary market when they arrive unfortunately :(
I am content with my Autumn Gold jigged bone Northfield. It is a finely made knife! Mine is a bit more yellow than yours. A few years back, I probably would have bought three of them if I could, but not so much now. One is enough and I will be getting the #86 forum knife too.

Amazing that your pictures were taken with a smart phone.

I see that DLT has at least one Autumn Gold currently. (Just trying to point folks in the right direction if they want one. :D) KSF must have sold out before they even had time to post on their website.

Last edited:
I am content with my Autumn Gold jigged bone Northfield. It is a finely made knife! Mine is a bit more yellow than yours. A few years back, I probably would have bought three of them if I could, but not so much now. One is enough and I will be getting the #86 forum knife too.

Amazing that your pictures were taken with a smart phone.

I see that DLT has at least one Autumn Gold currently.
For sure definitely looking forward to The BF knives to arrive at my mail box. I’m thinking there 3/4’s of the way threw production. My guess is late december early January when will finally see them.
It’s been quite the journey with twists and turns. That’ll make them that much more special when they arrive :)

It doesn't matter to me when they are shipped to Mike; Mid-December or January..... But I would like a delivery or completion date estimate from GEC. If they turn our as well made as my Autumn Gold or the Bloodwood, I'll be real happy. Tis the Christmas season and Mike is probably getting real busy.

Last picture I promise ;)
But man I just can’t stop admiring and gazing at this beautiful knife. The shield is so sweet and nestled in perfectly. I also like Gunstock Jacks etching on the blade personally and think it was tastefully done and placed :thumbsup:
SnjKzIa.jpg

Anybody have a 78 Clip to compare to these 86's? The 86 is supposedly only 1/8" longer closed. What's the blade thickness difference? The 78's are pretty thick. Just wondering what the details between the two patterns is. The 78 clips also had a very stout, pleasing pull.

Here's a group of 78's. Notice that they have a rounded bolster, compared to the 86 and the clips have pinched, single lined bolsters and the spear has double lined bolsters. The M&G is off on it's own... great 3 blade knife.

Anyway, don't mean to derail this thread, would just like to see some side to side comparison of a very similar knife. I'm in for a stag if they don't evaporate before I have a chance to look.

One thing about the #86 is that it is a cutter. It is very thin behind the edge. The spine is thicker than my #54, but the edge profile of the #86 makes it the better slicer.

Geoff

There seems to be some adverse comments about the weight of the #86. The #78 weighs 3 3/8 oz. and the #86 weighs about 3 3/4 oz. Less than 1/2 oz. difference doesn’t mean that the additional weight will make me lopsided when carrying the Oil Field.

There seems to be some adverse comments about the weight of the #86. The #78 weighs 3 3/8 oz. and the #86 weighs about 3 3/4 oz. Less than 1/2 oz. difference doesn’t mean that the additional weight will make me lopsided when carrying the Oil Field.
For comparison, the Vic Trekker weighs 4.6 oz and the SOG PowerPint multi-tool weighs 4.2 oz. These feel a little heavy in my pocket. I can carry the two blade 86 without difficulty. But if you like or are used to the smaller GEC's, it is a bit heavy.

It might be a sacrilege of a sort but I hit my Oil Sucker Rod 86 with Behlen's Solar-Lux non grain raising stain, American Walnut. Same stuff I've used for gunstocks if they need a little help in a refinish. I'm not even sure of the type of wood on the knife but I think it might be oak. Pretty open grained.

At any rate, the stain took it from a light silver gray trending to almost greenish to a reddish walnut. Looks great. A little more pocket wear and it'll be a beauty.

Back