2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

excellent, and I had a blade deleted! should put that baby around 2.9-3.0 oz

I guess I have a heavy one. The digital food scale at home said 4.2 ounces, the postal scale at work said 4.3 ounces

It just goes to show you that there will be a range of numbers. I have a number of digital thermometers and they all read a little different temperatures indoors and they are all supposed to be "accurate". Maybe the jigged bone scales are just heavier? I will have to check it on my old style postal meter (probably an antique) to see if mine shows over 4 ounces.

2PHzV6z.jpg
Great Photo.:cool::thumbsup:

View attachment 1242717 View attachment 1242716

Well done Barry! gunstockjack gunstockjack

And I think your etch is the best I have seen yet.

Everyone who commented about the affect sunlight has on this knife is correct. It cannot be photographed, but looks sort of electric.

FYI, for those concerned about weight, the wood version seems much lighter to me than the bone.

Thanks @Captvideo for a fair sale.

Last edited:
Jack's and mine headed to the same locale, mine arrived back today and I am totally impressed:thumbsup: I love the transformation, don't get me wrong, I love the stock two blade was well. The pinchability is a plus on the single blade and is obviously different "in pocket". Rock solid and centered blade along with factory like finish:cool:Very very pleased with the craftsmanship jsdistin executed on the blade delete. Thank you!!!
9sFltH.jpg

nvAgBL.jpg

E1LWg4.jpg

Uq61xh.jpg

Last edited:
Jack's and mine headed to the same locale, mine arrived back today and I am totally impressed:thumbsup: I love the transformation, don't get me wrong, I love the stock two blade was well. The pinchability is a plus on the single blade and is obviously different "in pocket". Rock solid and centered blade along with factory like finish:cool:Very very pleased with the craftsmanship jsdidtin executed on the blade delete. Thank you!!!
9sFltH.jpg

nvAgBL.jpg

E1LWg4.jpg

Uq61xh.jpg

that is a beaut! unfortunately, the storm threw mine off. Im almost tempted to buy his other blade deleted 86 :D

Jack's and mine headed to the same locale, mine arrived back today and I am totally impressed:thumbsup: I love the transformation, don't get me wrong, I love the stock two blade was well. The pinchability is a plus on the single blade and is obviously different "in pocket". Rock solid and centered blade along with factory like finish:cool:Very very pleased with the craftsmanship jsdistin executed on the blade delete. Thank you!!!
9sFltH.jpg

nvAgBL.jpg

E1LWg4.jpg

Uq61xh.jpg

That mod to one blade looks great Paul, nice work J jsdistin

9sFltH.jpg

nvAgBL.jpg

E1LWg4.jpg

Uq61xh.jpg

He aced it! Whew, sure is tempting me to do that to the bloodwood. Or the canvas and then polish it, possibly with domed brass pins just to be weird and tactile.

9sFltH.jpg

nvAgBL.jpg

E1LWg4.jpg

Uq61xh.jpg

that is a beaut! unfortunately, the storm threw mine off. Im almost tempted to buy his other blade deleted 86 :D

Thanks Jack, I love the single blade. He does flawless work, you'll be pleased:thumbsup:

That mod to one blade looks great Paul, nice work J jsdistin
Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words. I hope yours does come soon Jack, I think you’ll be pleased, I reused the original pins I could which included both the center pins so the walk and talk is near identical.

Jack, who's deleting your blade? I've been thinking about doing one myself, and then using 3/32" pin stock to see if the pull will firm up at all.
The pins on these are the tightest I’ve seen so far, I don’t think you’d be able to do much without drilling out the holes and that probably wouldn’t do anything anyway and the one time I tried the bit bound up in th spring and broke off and heated the spring enough to blue it.

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words. I hope yours does come soon Jack, I think you’ll be pleased, I reused the original pins I could which included both the center pins so the walk and talk is near identical.

The pins on these are the tightest I’ve seen so far, I don’t think you’d be able to do much without drilling out the holes and that probably wouldn’t do anything anyway and the one time I tried the bit bound up in the spring and broke off and heated the spring enough to blue it.

Now I'm verging on territory for the Modified Traditionals thread, but I've done a 15 recover and a 66 blade delete, and I had purchased 3/32" pin stock. On one knife, I turned the pins down to fit, and the pull weight was the same or lighter. On the other, I drilled the holes up to accept 3/32". It was tight, had to tap it in, but that's kinda the point with this kind of pivot. The pull weight was the same, just as snappy. So are you saying that these 86s are already using 3/32" pins? Or that they're using the smaller pin size?

My entire motivation behind the larger pin is, to bring it back around to the 86 - I want a stouter pull. I've asked several people about pull weights when reassembling, and they state that smaller pins would lighten the pull, larger pins would weight it. Makes sense from a torque perspective - you have the same length lever now responsible for turning a wider radius. I would have been head over heals for these 86s, but I wanted a firm pull that matched the spirit of the knife. Heck, maybe even a bored out 1/8" pivot pin.

Last edited:

The pins on these are the tightest I’ve seen so far, I don’t think you’d be able to do much without drilling out the holes and that probably wouldn’t do anything anyway and the one time I tried the bit bound up in th spring and broke off and heated the spring enough to blue it.

thanks! should be in tomorrow according to the tracker!

Back