2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

845D6027-DF77-41DB-9742-A3AC6CD2C5C4.jpeg

My forum knife showed up on Monday and the WayNorth Black Jack showed up yesterday. Both are absolutely beautiful.

86FBDBF2-F4E4-40E9-A29C-4179ED9B325E.jpeg
Edited to add just for fun: Here’s a Hawaiian monk seal we saw at the beach yesterday. A little blurry, the photo is zoomed in since I’m far away.

Last edited:
Appropriately compensatory for my lack of Bladeforums knife. I had my hands on most of the 86s, and this one is the nicest. I've never been that into pen secondaries with a bellied main blade, but Mr. @waynorth you've sold me with this one. It's a lot more comfortable in hand than the sheepsfoot secondary. And the walk and talk are as good as it gets. My new fav.

49282393666_196d9b370f_b.jpg

Here's what it looks like after dropping the secondary kick even more.

49282599842_5e2ec4d069_b.jpg

49281921938_44c12ed36d_b.jpg
Nice:thumbsup: did dropping the kick effect the backspring at all?

Nice:thumbsup: did dropping the kick effect the backspring at all?

It always does, but the relationship is more logarithmic than linear, meaning the amount of backspring drop is so much less than the drop in blade height. You can feel it, but mostly because the liners are cut so square. If the liners had been buffed prior to hafting, or if I went back over this thing and buffed it, you probably wouldn't notice. In other words - I've seen more unflush springs from the factory than this now sits.

It always does, but the relationship is more logarithmic than linear, meaning the amount of backspring drop is so much less than the drop in blade height. You can feel it, but mostly because the liners are cut so square. If the liners had been buffed prior to hafting, or if I went back over this thing and buffed it, you probably wouldn't notice. In other words - I've seen more unflush springs from the factory than this now sits.
I hear you on all points, I was just curious to what extent if any? I've done some with no difference to the backsprings then on some others it was noticeable. I just tweaked a case knife that arrived that had raised (sharp) backsprings when blades were closed, I hit them with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and it makes it so much less noticeable.

I hear you on all points, I was just curious to what extent if any? I've done some with no difference to the backsprings then on some others it was noticeable. I just tweaked a case knife that arrived that had raised (sharp) backsprings when blades were closed, I hit them with 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and it makes it so much less noticeable.

I'll snap a photo in good light in the morning for you. It really isn't much, a fraction of a millimeter, and I dropped the blade as far as possible to still open it without cutting a little round out of the frame. Makes a big difference in hand, almost doesn't feel like it's there except for up at the tang.

Here's one I didn't expect. Right time, right place and all that...
WLkIekl.jpg

I’m nearly certain I won’t end up with one of these, but as someone who knows their knives I’m glad you got one because I have a question you could probably answer. Is there any difference in appearance or feel of the handle material? I noticed they were specifically calling it “stabilized smooth white bone” rather than simply “smooth white bone” so I was curious if there was a discernible difference.

Really happy with the 86's. Have an oil sucker rod wood, tortoise that is currently out to be modded to a single blade, and ended up with two forum knives. Figured I would keep one and sell the other, but was celebrating the holidays with a buddy of mine who notoriously beats on his traditional knives. He's also a big sheepfoot fan, so I gave him the other, figuring he would put this one through its paces as well!

I’m nearly certain I won’t end up with one of these, but as someone who knows their knives I’m glad you got one because I have a question you could probably answer. Is there any difference in appearance or feel of the handle material? I noticed they were specifically calling it “stabilized smooth white bone” rather than simply “smooth white bone” so I was curious if there was a discernible difference.
No discernible difference that I can see or feel.

You ain't just whistlin' disco, you got the cream of a very fine crop right there.

Very excellent, Dylan :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, fellas. I'm quite fond of the 86 pattern and am very pleased with the ones I've managed to scoop up. I am inclined to seek out some vintage examples of the jumbo jacks and am hoping that if Charlie makes it to the Oregon show in a few months, that he will have some good stuff with him (he always does).

I have the one in Stag with me today.

SYtQJtc.jpg

Back