2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Good evening gentlemen. I’m a relative newbie as far as GEC’s are concerned, however, I was recently bitten by the 86 bug. In the last month I’ve picked up an Oily Bone and an Autumn Gold Herringbone. Both examples had perfect centering, great for and finish and zero side-to-side play. This afternoon my 86 Stag arrived. Again the centering was perfect, the finishing was excellent, however, there is substantial side-to-side play in both blades (particularly on the coping blade). I really don’t want to return the knife to the dealer as there are no more in stock, however, I don't want to live with the blade play either...has anyone else had this issue with there’s and is there any way to remove the blade play? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, CJ.
It’s a really easy fix if you have a vice and ball peen hammer and some sandpaper and a little polish. I dropped mine two days after owning it :mad:. Main blade open and it resulted in it getting some play. Took me about 20 mins to fix it. But there are risks if your not careful. You could take it on yourself or send it to gec for repair! I’ve had good luck either way!:thumbsup:

It’s a really easy fix if you have a vice and ball peen hammer and some sandpaper and a little polish. I dropped mine two days after owning it :mad:. Main blade open and it resulted in it getting some play. Took me about 20 mins to fix it. But there are risks if your not careful. You could take it on yourself or send it to gec for repair! I’ve had good luck either way!:thumbsup:
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion. Without having done this before - or ever seeing it done - I’m not sure how comfortable I am with going at it with ball peen hammer. May have to find a “how to” video...thanks

Good evening gentlemen. I’m a relative newbie as far as GEC’s are concerned, however, I was recently bitten by the 86 bug. In the last month I’ve picked up an Oily Bone and an Autumn Gold Herringbone. Both examples had perfect centering, great for and finish and zero side-to-side play. This afternoon my 86 Stag arrived. Again the centering was perfect, the finishing was excellent, however, there is substantial side-to-side play in both blades (particularly on the coping blade). I really don’t want to return the knife to the dealer as there are no more in stock, however, I don't want to live with the blade play either...has anyone else had this issue with there’s and is there any way to remove the blade play? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, CJ.
You can always send it to GEC for a repair. I have done it before wait time is about 3-4 weeks

49350747803_0c1e9421b0_b.jpg

Got a stag, got a stag, got a stag! Completed the purchase a moment ago, glad I didn’t miss out. It’s a light colored fatty and likely going to feel great in hand. Now the waiting commences.

For having not been interested in the 86 pattern initially, looks like I’m ending up with the stag, a tortoise, and a Waynorth. That’s GEC collecting in a nutshell! I only reserved a single upcoming #62 so... we’ll see how that turns out. :rolleyes:

Did the backspring drop any and if so, how much?
I'd need some sort of laser device to measure the drop.;)

I don't want to disparage the design or quality of this fine knife but....in my opinion (whatever that's worth) this blade should have been a bit lower in the frame.
The design is reminiscent of a rope knife which usually has a taller blade and by its nature would have a lot showing above the handle.
This isn't a tall blade, why is it perched so far up in the frame?
Before I ground the kick I could touch the point of the blade (albiet with purpose) in the closed position.
With future use and sharpening it will become proud of the handle no doubt.
My guess is that it will be years before anyone would realize that level of use with one of these maybe, so probably a non-problem.
Apologies for the rambling, just train of thought stuff.:rolleyes:

I did clean the spine up a little today to get rid of some of the nicks and dings.

Before clean up (This picture was taken after the kick was ground. Yes, the "drop" question has been asked in another thread, that's why I already had this picture)....
QvQQ56C.jpg

After a little 1000 grit clean up(These pictures were just taken)....
juyDtTf.jpg

0vxkO56.jpg

And just to add a picture that I found of the difference. I just remembered that I had this one I took last week.
And no worries, the pristine example on the left will remain as perfect as it was when it left GEC.
QJZmQjH.jpg

Last edited:
Back