2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

When you have a secretary or scribe, it is politic to give them credit for writing down and maybe editing, your words, in the form of their initials. Since Sarah has gotten real busy with her life, Joanne has taken her place!! A tip of the hat to Sarah who edited my ramblings for years, and Kudos to Joanne for taking on the job!! Brave souls both!!:D

Interesting reading of the history of the lambsfoot on the tube. My earliest memories of the actual blade shape are from the sixties. Nearly all the farmers here in Australia carried them in their pockets or in a belt sheath. They just called them either working knives or farmers knives, because the blades were strong enough for all the jobs around the farm and easy to sharpen at the end of the day because of the straight blade. They were also very common with gardeners, my Auntie who was an avid gardener had one, same reason good tough straight edged blade for all tasks in the garden. They were widely available through Hardware shops, feed merchants and all rural suppliers. Exactly the same history as on the tubes these knives come in. Wish i had bought a heap of them, they would be good collectors item's now, but i was a kid and had no money and did not know about these things. But the 2 histories from here in Australia and over in England match up. I will not mention the name, but the lambsfoot and the similar blade shape, that i am not allowed to mention were very common over here in Australia, but not known as those 2 knives, just work or farmers knives.

:eek:Nice to hear your take on the Lamb Foot, cudgee. I'd love to see more Aussie versions of the Lambs!!!:rolleyes::)

When you have a secretary or scribe, it is politic to give them credit for writing down and maybe editing, your words, in the form of their initials. Since Sarah has gotten real busy with her life, Joanne has taken her place!! A tip of the hat to Sarah who edited my ramblings for years, and Kudos to Joanne for taking on the job!! Brave souls both!!:D

Aha! So I immediately thought it was Jack Black!
Again...this teaches me not to jump into the Bath without testing the Water :(

Thank you for answering my question and thank you for all you do to bring these knives to us.

My daughter is house sitting for us while my wife and I are wandering out west, and she confirmed my bone 93 Lambsfoot arrived yesterday. I’ll be a bit late to the party posting photos, but I can’t wait to test drive my new Waynorth knife. Meanwhile, I’m greatly enjoying others’ photos...and all the positive reviews.

I got two oily creeks and a "Charlie" peach-seed. The #93 blue SFO is on the way ! I am after the Two Northfields #93s and a #29 snake-wood. That #29 curly maple wood SFO is cool too.

Amazing color, jigging, and overall execution. Thank you Charlie for a knife destined to be a classic.

IoelZCS.jpg

I wasn't able to land one of Charlie's Lambsfoot knives, unfortunately, but I've had a great time seeing all of these pics of the ebony and jigged bone. So very, very nice looking! Congrats to those who have them :thumbsup:

It appears that my wait to get a 93 in hand will end this week, though. It looks like my cocobolo ramsfoot should be here really soon :D

I had a very busy, yet fulfilling, weekend, having taken my son out on a camping/crabbing/fishing trip. We've been going on this trip for 9 years, since he was 4 years old. (I can't believe I will have a teenager in the house next month....) Anyway, I came home to a couple of packages waiting for me. I was expecting a couple of fine beauties and I was not disappointed, another Waynorth Lamb Foot (this one in Ebony) and a Ramsfoot in the Oily Creek Bone. Since I've already let my thoughts be known regarding the Lamb Foot and I have a rather substantial bias, I will start with some notes on the Ramsfoot and will move to the Lamb Foot afterwards.

Having numerous Lambsfoot knives in my collection, I have become quite the fan of the swayback frame. I would even go so far as to say that it has become a keen favorite of mine. It fits my hand quite well, it has aesthetic allure, and it smacks of the gracefully traditional. Since a run of the 47s has not occurred since I became aware of GEC, I have not had the pleasure of experiencing their take on the Swayback so I was thrilled to hear of their plans for the 93 release.

I skipped the Ramsfoot in Natural Micarta and both of the SFOs (not including Charlie's) but I acquired an Oily Creek Bone and will be getting both of the Northfield variants as well. When I learned that the Tidioute Bone option was going to be Oily Creek, I was disappointed. I have never been attracted to the Oily Creek but I already had it reserved so I was committed regardless. However, as more pictures surfaced and more folks displayed their new knives, I found myself warming to it.

I got to open up the package yesterday and today I got to examine it more thoroughly and I have to admit, I am rather pleased with it. The Bone covers are on the thicker side and they convey a sense of rugged durability, much the same as Stag tends to do for me. In fact, I would almost compare these to polished Stag.

Some additional thoughts:
  • Fit and Finish: With each GEC release, I am always thrilled to see their overall consistency. The fit is just terrific, seams are smooth and perfectly aligned, transitions are tight and without gaps. It really is a fine piece of craftsmanship. GEC doesn't overly polish their pieces so the edges aren't rounded, everything is crisp and well defined. For those of you who care about the fitting at the half stop, it is ALMOST flush, I can still catch a nail on the back spring.
  • Action/Walk-n-Talk: Initially, the action was a bit spongy but with a bit of a flush and some handling, the pull and snap are now nice and crisp and it just has a lovely sound to it. It does not have as firm a pull as the Waynorth Lamb Foot knives but I find it to be more than satisfactory, rating it around a 6.5 on a scale of 1-10.
  • Covers/Shield: As mentioned above, I've warmed to the covers, almost viewing them to be "Stag-like". The thickness and color are just about perfectly matched on both sides, providing an almost symmetrical look and feel. The added girth and weight of these covers provide a very secure grip and my suspicions that this one will make a terrific user, particularly in my growing garden, are proving to be well founded. I have always liked the Tidioute swell bar shield and I think it makes a good classic fit to this knife.
  • Blade: One of the unique offerings of this release is the two new blade shapes being introduced, the Ramsfoot and the Lambsfoot. The Ramsfoot blade is interesting, being that is is the complete opposite of the Lambsfoot blade. Where the Lambsfoot blade tapers towards the tip, the Ramsfoot swells before plunging down to a nice keen point. GEC has a tendency to round or sweep up towards the tip when grinding the edge on their straight edged blades but they did a fine job on this Ramsfoot.
Overall, this is a fine effort by GEC on this remarkable debut of the #93 pattern. I look forward to using this knife and the others in the near and distant future.

zxDUtht.jpg

p9Z61LR.jpg

JnHkxRn.jpg

89qo8xz.jpg

Not my favorite blade shape for a single blade but couldn't resist the blue camel bone / boot combo. The oily bone is sweet and well executed. Pull could be stronger for a knife of this type (pinchable work horse).

GEC93blueandoilybone-1.jpg

Not my favorite blade shape for a single blade but couldn't resist the blue camel bone / boot combo. The oily bone is sweet and well executed. Pull could be stronger for a knife of this type (pinchable work horse).

Very nice blue on that one congrats!

F7CEA469-0F54-45F4-B182-A2C562D71529.jpeg Today my wait is over. I do not have a lambsfoot blade on any knife I own, so when Charlie’s SFO was announced I crossed my fingers. I was unable to get one even when I was on a list. But at the last minute one of the fine dealers offered me a “S” model. For those of you who do not know, a “S” model is a factory second with a S stamped on the pile side tang. Of course I jumped on it. From my experience you can not find the flaw, that the factory found. Today my Real Lambfoot with Jigged bone covers arrived. It’s a beauty! And I can not find any flaw at all.
So Thank You Charlie and all who helped make this knife possible.

The Olde Towne 93 is a beauty, that is the blue were all hoping to get.

As a watch pocket-sized slippie aficionado, I'm generally put off by the larger patterns (3.25"+). But, I now have one of Charlie's/GEC awesome masterpieces that I'm going to put up to display and daily admire in my man cave! :thumbsup::)

My first Oily Creek ever. What great stuff!!! A nice handful and satisfyingly primitive looking, it makes me want to grunt whenever I cut something with it!!:)
Even though it's only opening the mail!!!:p The spring is strong on mine, The edge is good; in fact the whole knife has great F & F! I'm a happy - - - errr - - -grunter!!!:DRam Oily 1.jpg Ram Oily 2.jpg Ram Oily 3.jpg

Back