2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

This thread has me feeling conflicted. I'm not really a fan of the lambsfoot blade, favoring the wharncliffe (and even then I don't really like it all that much). Yet the pictures I see here have aroused feelings of covetousness. I don't like it. I didn't try to get either the lambsfoot or the cocobolo ramsfoot, but if I did I probably wouldn't have used it all that much. I don't use either the lambsfoot I already have, nor do I use my old Camillus Coast Guard knife that looks like the granddaddy of the ramsfoot. These knives are just so classically beautiful though; they have triggered my love of knives gene. Doesn't happen very often anymore, but I realize I am not yet fully immune to the charms of the sharp and shiny. Congrats to the lucky few who were able to wrangle these knives.

If you get ahold of a Northfield, I'd love to grind the blade down to a wharncliffe for you ;)

Another pic, and a few zoom shots.

L9VR0ngh.jpg

3UkhDSuh.jpg

1YTyRqGh.jpg

ZH9Uldsh.jpg

mzXJYCmh.jpg

On a side note...I find it humorous and enjoyable to go back to the beginning of a thread like this and see how everyone's opinion evolves over time :)
There is the production announcement phase where you have a little "ooh!" but mostly "meh" and "yay my wallet gets a break this run".
Then comes the production phase along with photos and you get a few more "hmm" or "doesnt look too bad will see what it looks like when they are finished" and fewer "meh".
Next is the post-production phase and panic starts to set in with all the "where do I get one!" or "I missed the reserve!".
Finally, the drop phase where folks buy and acquire knives from the run. At this point, a lot of the "meh" is converted into "I scored!" and life is glorious :)

That pretty much sums up me for this pattern. First saw the drawing on their site, and was, interesting, but kind of clunky. Then after spending time on the Lambsfoot thread I became more intrigued. Then came the production photos and I thought why not? Managed to get a micarta handled one and after using it found to my surprise how much I liked it. I’ve always been a big fan of wood handles so I was primed and ready for the Cocobolo.

That 93 micarta knife hasn’t been out of my pocket.

Can anybody point me to what gives the oily creek bone its color and texture?
Anybody know?
Is it just the natural bone? I saw TKC had it listed as "Natural" Oily bone. Its so glossy on mine it looks like lacquer.
Just wanting to know what I'm talking about if someone asks.

"Unfortunately, I cannot go into detail on how we make our various bone handles. I can tell you its North American Cattle Bone and that the slight texture you can feel and see on the darker areas of the bone is the natural surface of the bone.
William Howard
GEC Factory Rep"

Thank you, William Howard!

One point that really stands out to me on this run is the uniqueness of the kick. Large, long and flat. I don't remember seeing another gec with this style kick. It looks really clean and refined if you will. That in combination with some of the best and most unique jigging I've seen from gec, and all the new/different tang stamps, makes this a real pearl.
Thanks, Charlie. And thank you Sabercat!!!!

One point that really stands out to me on this run is the uniqueness of the kick. Large, long and flat. I don't remember seeing another gec with this style kick. It looks really clean and refined if you will. That in combination with some of the best and most unique jigging I've seen from gec, and all the new/different tang stamps, makes this a real pearl.
Thanks, Charlie. And thank you Sabercat!!!!

The kick is something I hadn’t even noticed. Charlie really paid attention to the details on this run. It looks just like the kick on the A. Wright & Son Lambsfoot photos I see. Well done Charlie! This American Lambfoot is a real winner!

Back