1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Apr 26, 2019.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    GEC pins their shields.
    There has been some SFOs that were glued because of smooth handle materials and 3D shields.

jkwithawave and cigarrodog like this.
  2. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    What do you suppose the smooth, bolsterless piece is??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WHT, Onearmbladenut, TFBraden and 2 others like this.
  3. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Looks like the interior of a pile-side scale to me.

4. NewBlades16

NewBlades16 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2015
    Thanks for the clarification.

JohnDF likes this.
  5. NewBlades16

NewBlades16 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2015

The interior liner? Maybe it's just flipped. There looks maybe like small peek of a bolster on the other side.

JohnDF likes this.
  6. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Correct.

Not exactly correct. All smooth surfaced knives with 3-D shields are glued and not pinned. Smooth surfaced knives with the more common smooth shields are no problem to pin.

7. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Some more rearward shield pics!!
    LittleWall1.jpg LittleWall2.jpg

8. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    Here's my cocobolo keeper:

[​IMG]

9. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Thanks for the clarification Charlie. Either way, they're great knives and I'm glad I have one.

10. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Excellent post, @cudgee! I have also found the knife to be well balanced and an excellent slicer!

Since you went the performance route, I have been doing some other real world testing of my own... the fidget fingers test. I have become a rather big fan of jigged bone, and to a lesser extent stag, in part because I love to play with it while I commute. I love how these materials will smooth and wear over time and really develop some character.

I spend anywhere between 1.5 - 3 hours a day driving to and from work, and I have developed a habit of holding, rubbing, and/or spinning some knife for most of my drive. I find it helps me relax, as I really don't like driving in traffic! The degree of spinning or rubbing can vary greatly depending on the day I've had and the drive itself.

Now, I started carrying the 93 Lamb early last week, Tuesday I think, and have carried it with me every day since... so today was day 8 of commuting with the lamb. A few days ago I started to notice my fingers getting a bit of brown color on them by the time I got home. A little more yesterday, and still more today. It seems that there is a significant amount of dye sitting on top of the bone, and not actually absorbed. I've not experienced this with any other knife before, usually just a very gradual change over time.
    [​IMG]

I dipped a couple Qtips in rubbing alcohol this evening and wiped the sides to clean it off a bit (it had become a little sticky). They too became quite brown. So I took an old rag and got it just slightly damp, and rubbed the scales to try to get off the excess dye. It seemed to work, and it finally got less brown coming off.
    [​IMG]

After I dried it off, I did my normal mineral oil wipe on all the metal, and hit the bone just a bit to shine it up. Still looks great, just a little less of the dark chestnut dye on top. None of this matters much to me in the end, because I have already been using this knife, and it will likely be in my pocket for a long time. The knife is fantastic in every other regard. Just be aware if you're a compulsive knife spinner like myself, those scales may leave you with a bit of color on your fingers!

pjsjr, jkwithawave, steelnut and 6 others like this.
  11. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    Small details like that is what separates GEC from true custom knives. As good as they are, GEC still has to make certain concessions for reasons of economy. Things like clean and square joints (apart from the #23 and #73 patterns) and glued-in fancy shields. GEC can do those things, but it would be cost prohibitive. Just something to keep in mind whenever you hear someone say GEC's knives are as good as customs. They're not. They are excellent, but it does a disservice to foster unrealistic expectations.

12. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Fantastic is right! Awesome pair these Lambsfoots. Superb job on the manufacture GEC and to Charlie for bending Bill’s arm to get them made. Just a simple cell phone pic tonight.

7F076582-98C2-45A3-BE6B-025738643E4A.jpeg

13. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Congratulations Russell! They’re really special knives my friend! :thumbsup: :)

waynorth likes this.
  14. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    That is kind of typical I feel . The first thing that I did to mine was take a Smooth Rock to the Butt End of the Covers and smooth off the sharp edge . I then got an Old Rag and started Wet Buffing the Jigged Bone just as you did . I find that it usually adds a little more color . It is going to wear off in your pockets anyhow . It just speeds up the wear-in a little bit .

Harry

15. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    They certainly are special, yes indeed :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

waynorth and Half/Stop like this.
  16. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    And i thought i was the only lunatic in the asylum. I am like an old middle eastern man with his beads. I love the feel of a pocket knife in my hand. I will roll and twirl one while on the computer, reading, listening to the radio, music, watching telly. Glad to know you do it as well, i thought it was just me. And i do love the look of a knife with worn scales.And thank you for your report. Have a good week end.:thumbsup:

17. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    You're hardly alone cudgee. Many of us use our pocketknives as worry stones. It's the reason I prefer jigged bone and stag over ivory, pearl, or wood. Jigged bone and stag are more texturally interesting.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Sabercat, A.S., waynorth and 5 others like this.
  18. mb>

mb> Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 24, 2014
    You are correct sir! I can just see the bolster opposite side when I zoom in. It didn’t look flat facing out when I first saw it, and made me wonder if someone slipped a special project in the assembly line. ;)

Frailer likes this.
  19. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    I find myself quite happy this morning. Forum member @Magizm7 saw my post that I had missed out on Charlie's Lambfoot SFO, and kindly offered to sell me his. It arrived today! The kindness and generosity of the people on the forum always warms my heart! Thanks again Gordon!

Charlie's Lambfoot.jpg

20. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Great news!

There's no place like "The Porch"!