2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

What do you suppose the smooth, bolsterless piece is??

dwF9cEpl.jpg

1P4w5mXl.jpg

Is that because they have to polish the smooth materials after the shield is applied? So if they pinned the shield the details would be polished off?
Correct.

Yeah, I'm thinking about this too. So all smooth surfaced knives have shields that are glued? Noo that just can't be. I thought it was what you said. If the shield came from another source.
Not exactly correct. All smooth surfaced knives with 3-D shields are glued and not pinned. Smooth surfaced knives with the more common smooth shields are no problem to pin.

Hello fellow Gaurdians. There has been a fantastic display of the Lamb Foot knives on the forum, with some brilliant photos posted, congratulations to all those who have managed to purchase one. So i thought i would go down a different track and road test one.
Firstly, they have a fantastic fit and finish which i am sure you already know, but the feel in the hand and the weight of them is fantastic. One of the things i look for in a good working knife is the weight, and these have a good weighty feel without being too heavy. I did some tests straight out of the tube with the factory edge. The first thing i did was slice some tomato, straight through, wafer thin slices. I then sliced an onion into halves, then quarters, then thin slices. I have found that a knife without a really keen edge will veer off to the left or right using this method, this knife sliced straight through. I then sliced cut some potato's into chips, a blade that is too thick at the spine will jam, this knife again just sliced straight through. I then used it to have my steak and chips, sliced through the steak like it was butter, and started a nice patina. This morning i used it to chop up some vegetables and chicken. I then cut up an thick cardboard carton that i had a delivery in, then sliced up some 1/2 inch rope i had, again straight through. So i took it back to the tomato test again, straight through, has really good edge retention. This knife is like a sturdy version of a filleting knife, just a fantastic slicer, due to the design of the blade. In summary, a good all round work knife, with a good weight to it,and edge retention, not just a looker but a performer as well. Congratulations and well done to everyone who had a hand in producing this fine working implement. Excuse my indulgence everyone, but i just wanted to have my opinion out there, as usual i am open to any thoughts on my testing method or criticism of my methods. Have a good day everyone.
Excellent post, cudgee cudgee ! I have also found the knife to be well balanced and an excellent slicer!

Since you went the performance route, I have been doing some other real world testing of my own... the fidget fingers test. I have become a rather big fan of jigged bone, and to a lesser extent stag, in part because I love to play with it while I commute. I love how these materials will smooth and wear over time and really develop some character.

I spend anywhere between 1.5 - 3 hours a day driving to and from work, and I have developed a habit of holding, rubbing, and/or spinning some knife for most of my drive. I find it helps me relax, as I really don't like driving in traffic! The degree of spinning or rubbing can vary greatly depending on the day I've had and the drive itself.

Now, I started carrying the 93 Lamb early last week, Tuesday I think, and have carried it with me every day since... so today was day 8 of commuting with the lamb. A few days ago I started to notice my fingers getting a bit of brown color on them by the time I got home. A little more yesterday, and still more today. It seems that there is a significant amount of dye sitting on top of the bone, and not actually absorbed. I've not experienced this with any other knife before, usually just a very gradual change over time.
1f8x4bk.jpg

I dipped a couple Qtips in rubbing alcohol this evening and wiped the sides to clean it off a bit (it had become a little sticky). They too became quite brown. So I took an old rag and got it just slightly damp, and rubbed the scales to try to get off the excess dye. It seemed to work, and it finally got less brown coming off.
AzE0UvM.jpg

After I dried it off, I did my normal mineral oil wipe on all the metal, and hit the bone just a bit to shine it up. Still looks great, just a little less of the dark chestnut dye on top. None of this matters much to me in the end, because I have already been using this knife, and it will likely be in my pocket for a long time. The knife is fantastic in every other regard. Just be aware if you're a compulsive knife spinner like myself, those scales may leave you with a bit of color on your fingers!

All smooth surfaced knives with 3-D shields are glued and not pinned. Smooth surfaced knives with the more common smooth shields are no problem to pin.

Small details like that is what separates GEC from true custom knives. As good as they are, GEC still has to make certain concessions for reasons of economy. Things like clean and square joints (apart from the #23 and #73 patterns) and glued-in fancy shields. GEC can do those things, but it would be cost prohibitive. Just something to keep in mind whenever you hear someone say GEC's knives are as good as customs. They're not. They are excellent, but it does a disservice to foster unrealistic expectations.

Excellent post, cudgee cudgee ! I have also found the knife to be well balanced and an excellent slicer!

Since you went the performance route, I have been doing some other real world testing of my own... the fidget fingers test. I have become a rather big fan of jigged bone, and to a lesser extent stag, in part because I love to play with it while I commute. I love how these materials will smooth and wear over time and really develop some character.

I spend anywhere between 1.5 - 3 hours a day driving to and from work, and I have developed a habit of holding, rubbing, and/or spinning some knife for most of my drive. I find it helps me relax, as I really don't like driving in traffic! The degree of spinning or rubbing can vary greatly depending on the day I've had and the drive itself.

Now, I started carrying the 93 Lamb early last week, Tuesday I think, and have carried it with me every day since... so today was day 8 of commuting with the lamb. A few days ago I started to notice my fingers getting a bit of brown color on them by the time I got home. A little more yesterday, and still more today. It seems that there is a significant amount of dye sitting on top of the bone, and not actually absorbed. I've not experienced this with any other knife before, usually just a very gradual change over time.
1f8x4bk.jpg

I dipped a couple Qtips in rubbing alcohol this evening and wiped the sides to clean it off a bit (it had become a little sticky). They too became quite brown. So I took an old rag and got it just slightly damp, and rubbed the scales to try to get off the excess dye. It seemed to work, and it finally got less brown coming off.
AzE0UvM.jpg

After I dried it off, I did my normal mineral oil wipe on all the metal, and hit the bone just a bit to shine it up. Still looks great, just a little less of the dark chestnut dye on top. None of this matters much to me in the end, because I have already been using this knife, and it will likely be in my pocket for a long time. The knife is fantastic in every other regard. Just be aware if you're a compulsive knife spinner like myself, those scales may leave you with a bit of color on your fingers!
That is kind of typical I feel . The first thing that I did to mine was take a Smooth Rock to the Butt End of the Covers and smooth off the sharp edge . I then got an Old Rag and started Wet Buffing the Jigged Bone just as you did . I find that it usually adds a little more color . It is going to wear off in your pockets anyhow . It just speeds up the wear-in a little bit .

Harry

1f8x4bk.jpg

AzE0UvM.jpg

And i thought i was the only lunatic in the asylum. I am like an old middle eastern man with his beads. I love the feel of a pocket knife in my hand. I will roll and twirl one while on the computer, reading, listening to the radio, music, watching telly. Glad to know you do it as well, i thought it was just me. And i do love the look of a knife with worn scales.And thank you for your report. Have a good week end.:thumbsup:

And i thought i was the only lunatic in the asylum. I am like an old middle eastern man with his beads. I love the feel of a pocket knife in my hand. I will roll and twirl one while on the computer, reading, listening to the radio, music, watching telly. Glad to know you do it as well, i thought it was just me. And i do love the look of a knife with worn scales.And thank you for your report. Have a good week end.:thumbsup:

You're hardly alone cudgee. Many of us use our pocketknives as worry stones. It's the reason I prefer jigged bone and stag over ivory, pearl, or wood. Jigged bone and stag are more texturally interesting.

Last edited:
Looks like the interior of a pile-side scale to me.

You are correct sir! I can just see the bolster opposite side when I zoom in. It didn’t look flat facing out when I first saw it, and made me wonder if someone slipped a special project in the assembly line. ;)

I find myself quite happy this morning. Forum member @Magizm7 saw my post that I had missed out on Charlie's Lambfoot SFO, and kindly offered to sell me his. It arrived today! The kindness and generosity of the people on the forum always warms my heart! Thanks again Gordon!

Charlie's Lambfoot.jpg

I find myself quite happy this morning. Forum member @Magizm7 saw my post that I had missed out on Charlie's Lambfoot SFO, and kindly offered to sell me his. It arrived today! The kindness and generosity of the people on the forum always warms my heart! Thanks again Gordon!

View attachment 1160011

Great news!

There's no place like "The Porch"!

Back