2019 GEC 93 Ram's Foot and Waynorth Cutlery Real Lambfoot Thread

But yet the Old Cutlers did it .

Harry

Indeed, but I think that old knives were generally run much softer than contemporary ones which may facilitate stamping. As to losses from discarded blades, with so many cutlers in business in the past they could likely afford to discard a lot of blades? These days, costs and heat treat methods are more 'intimidating' You probably need some heavy durable equipment to do it too.

Interestingly, Opinel still stamps many blades in both carbon and stainless but their volume is like SAK, massive.

Odd footnote: my spell-check rejected CUTLERS and wanted CULTERS instead :D:D

Got one from a seller on the forum last week, just getting around to posting here. Bigger than my (also) recently acquired lambsfoot from A. Wright, might be good for a farm carry as you tend to run into bigger things to cut there.
IMG_2006 1.jpg

But yet the Old Cutlers did it .

Indeed, but I think that old knives were generally run much softer than contemporary ones which may facilitate stamping. As to losses from discarded blades, with so many cutlers in business in the past they could likely afford to discard a lot of blades? These days, costs and heat treat methods are more 'intimidating' You probably need some heavy durable equipment to do it too.

What about engraving? Admittedly it's not traditional, but it would look better than etching. Perhaps that could be an option on special runs.

Yup, it's starting to get broke-in. :D
If you don't like the look, invest in some Flitz polish.
That's also the reason I like satin blade finishes better, they patina more subtly.
Thanks John :)
All shiny !!! ( for now :) )
QvfXG1r.jpg

BTW I keep back a few knives for warranty purposes, and I only sent one out this order, so a couple of guys here got lucky! They are all gone now, and GEC repaired the one with a fine crack, which I have made a user! Can't see the crack though!!:rolleyes:o_O:cool:

Charlie, other then your Ancient TC which had a stamped blade are there any other models of yours that have had a stamped blade?
No, only the lonely Ancient!! GEC had a lot of struggles with those blades!!

Back