2019 GEC Rendezvous August 8th, 9th,10th

Ron, thank you for taking that awesome photo of the boys together, and for the very generous gift you gave them!

I don't always get to say this about my sons, but they seemed to behave themselves (for the most part), and got along well with each other the entire time. Josh's boys are tremendous as well, and I was honored to get to see their collections.

I thought for sure that after sitting in line for 2.25 hours yesterday morning the boys would have had enough, but they said they had a lot of fun, and can't wait to do it again next year.
The gift was small but I’m glad they liked it. :) Ryan your boys acted perfectly fine my friend! They are enjoying their knives and they take pride in showing them to others! They are very knowledgeable I might add! :thumbsup: I look forward to seeing them again next year! :) :thumbsup:

Good stuff going on. My boys are sitting around camp just talking knives. Today exponentially increased the bug! Samuel is working his new rendezvous special. A 74 clip white bone, 1 of 38.
View attachment 1176199
View attachment 1176201
Josh that right there is what it’s all about my friend! :thumbsup: Very nice young men. I enjoyed spending time with y’all! Looking forward to seeing you again next year if it’s in the cards! :thumbsup: :)

9D599741-7D86-4112-ABB1-213D0947F8C7.jpeg
Thanks Jeff! :)

Thanks Russell! It was great seeing you again. Harry the grill master is an instant classic! :)

Josh it was great to meet you and your sons. You are exactly right. The knives are a bonus. :thumbsup: :D

I bought two knives today. I’m going to take some pictures later. Here’s one photo I did take today. To me this is what this hobby is about. Four young men enjoy and being taught about their collections. Posted with permission from the father’s I call this photo “The future of the hobby!” On the left side are Ryan’s sons @Sabercat and on the right side Josh and his two sons Rockon75 Rockon75 .

View attachment 1176178

I keep going back to this picture, thanks Half/Stop Half/Stop . And I like the titled you gave it. Only thing, you should have kicked that aging old guy out of the "proof of future generations"........

...We scored...a 14 green smooth bone only 1 of 2 and a yellow smooth bone 14 also 1 of 2 made. both 14's have a star shield...

I saw another of these star-shield 14s (in red jigged bone) on another social media group earlier.

I was envious enough when I saw the white bone Waynorth lambsfoot. Now I’m positively green.

Congrats to those who were fortunate to acquire great knives and—more importantly—experience the camaraderie of like-minded folk.

Thanks again to all for sharing your photos.

I wasn't able to make it to GEC today, but hope to get to tomorrow. I was at the other knife show up the road. Lots of knives to look at and buy, but wasn't very busy.

Some absolutely beautiful pieces this year, that smooth white bone 74 muskrat has immediately become a new grail for me, a trifecta of greatness, the hunt begins! Thanks for sharing stories and photos for those of us who can't make it.

These pics and the knives I see you guys get are awesome. And a white bone lamb foot- I can’t explain the jealousy!

The 4hr and 45 min drive looks to be worth it! Never been to a knife show of any sorts so I don’t really know what to expect. Oh well, I have a year to think it over.

Congrats to you guys, looks like a wonderful time.

[QUOTE="
When my son was that age I got him into flyfishing. We had (and still do) a lot of great times sharing that hobby.

Cherish them.

My dad passed too early 10 years ago. Some of my best memories of him were when we had one-on-one time fly fishing together.

Sorry to get off topic....

View attachment 1176234[/QUOTE]
I did not think for one moment you were off topic, the photo's and comments are as relevant as your memories, of someone i have no doubt was a great person. Knives, hunting, camping, fishing and all bush pursuits all intertwine.

Well I’d call that a successful Rendezvous!

The toothpick Rendezvous special gave me flashbacks of the 2017 Rendezvous knife that seemed to underwhelm the majority, but the factory special assemblies (aka “parts knives”) were off the charts.

The real highlight, as usual, were the friends and forumites that you get to catch up with every year.

I’m already looking forward to 2020!

Sorry for not posting anything since 3AM but it’s been a busy and tiresome day. It’s also been a personally rewarding day. When you can score three Grail* knives in one day you feel like going without sleep for 24 hours is worth it. Below is what I brought home from my first day at the Rendezvous. :) The 2019 Rendezvous knife was indeed a #12 Northfield in LVS Abalone serial #03. A #93 Waynorth Lambsfoot* in Smooth White Bone. This was a special knife supplied to Charlie for the Rendezvous from the fine folks at GEC. :thumbsup: A #93 Real Ram Foot while not particularly rare it has eluded me at a reasonable price on the secondary market. A #38 Lick Creek Farmers Jack in Antique Yellow Pick Bone* NIT. A #38 Orchard Gem Farmers Jack in Antique Amber Pick Bone* NIT. The Lambsfoot and the two #38’s came from Charlie @waynorth. And finally, you know you’re living large when you top off a day like this when you can eat a meal of genuine Wisconsin Brats expertly prepared by a world champion Brat Master, Harry Old Engineer Old Engineer . The brats were accompanied by Wisconsin Cheese Curds and fresh Kringles all graciously brought from Wisconsin by Harry and Nancy! Thanks guys! :thumbsup: :D

48491772736_98c8be067f_b_d.jpg

Those 38s and 93 Waynorth are very classy looking. Excellent finds. I wish I could have put something together to attend.

We had to leave the Rendezvous early on Friday and have just now had the time and place to take some more pictures after putting on about 800 miles on the Odometer without getting home yet .
Picked these 3 up on Friday :
A #14 Smooth Autumn Gold , 1 of 8 ///// A Shaplieghs Cattle Knife ??? with MOP Covers , Clip , Sheepfoot , and Punch , and a #12 Toothpick with Stag .

Most of what I got in 1 & 1/2 days

But the Real Star of the show was :

We had a fantastic time and saw a number of our old and new friends in the all too short of a time that we were there . We also missed a few of our friends who , for various reasons , could not make it . I will not attempt to name all of the friends that we did see for fear of missing some of you . I will though mention that it was great to see Charlie and Lyle and their spouses there .

Harry

Last edited:
Back