The Upcoming and Past Toothpick Thread

waverave

Collector of Tortoise Shell
Platinum Member
This will be a short run but I can't find any ongoing Toothpick threads and thought it would be good start one. I do like consistency :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

GEC_12_production_schedule.jpg

There will be two SFOs this run. One is for Frank Powers (blood red jig bone with Wilhelm shield) and I'm not sure who the other is for yet. If anyone knows please divulge :thumbsup:

And Dark Green Camel Bone? Sounds interesting enough for me to reserve one of those and a Che Chen. These will be my first Toothpicks and am looking forward to trying out the classic pattern.

Unless I can muster up some pretty serious will power, I'm probably going to try to get a Northfield Jigged Bone.

I like the size and shape of GEC's Toothpick better than any other Toothpick that I've seen or handled. Other brands are either too large or too small. I had a Blood Red Northfield #12 from the first run and I've missed it.

I don’t have any GEC toothpicks yet but I also decided to reserve a green camel bone. I’m not sure how I’ll like it but it definitely seemed worth a shot. I hope the shield is interesting.

I'm a bit unsure of the toothpick overall, but reserved the dark green camel bone. If GEC can get the dye to take on the camel bone I think it will look incredible on this pattern.

I'm in the same boat. Not sure about the toothpick pattern, but I took my shot at green camel bone. I figure it should be easy enough to pass along if I'm not into the pattern. I think the skinnier clip point would be nice.

I’m in for the NF jigged bone. Have always liked the GEC toothpicks from earlier runs, but never was able to add one to the collection. Looking forward to these.

I like the size and shape of GEC's Toothpick better than any other Toothpick that I've seen or handled. Other brands are either too large or too small. I had a Blood Red Northfield #12 from the first run and I've missed it.

Totally agree, & that BR N'field is (still) in good hands. The heft and in-hand feel of GEC's #12s is really sweet IMO. I use this one a great deal in the kitchen. Though the pic was taken when it was still new/newish there's no telling how many strawberries I've sliced with it. Will update to show a current pic when I'm able. The elk covers have a slight reddish stain to them now.

sF8vewQ.jpg

Totally agree, & that BR N'field is (still) in good hands. The heft and in-hand feel of GEC's #12s is really sweet IMO. I use this one a great deal in the kitchen. Though the pic was taken when it was still new/newish there's no telling how many strawberries I've sliced with it. Will update to show a current pic when I'm able. The elk covers have a slight reddish stain to them now.

sF8vewQ.jpg

Sweet pic! I couldn't remember who I passed that Blood Red onto but I'm glad to know it's still kickin'.

Thanks for the pic. It reminds me of another reason that I like these #12's. Sunken joints. Well, close enough anyway.

The Toothpick is a pattern that I never thought I would be all that interested in. I've seen the random GEC #12 picture and I always thought it was a good looking knife but that has always been as far as it went.

I like the range of cover materials enough on this short run that I have put away for more than one. The Dark Green Camel Bone, Che Chen, and Stag all have me quite enthusiastic. Stag, in particular, seems like it will pair very nicely with this pattern. As per usual, I will be curious what the jigged bone option will be, drives me almost batty that they don't announce it earlier.

Is the Wilhelm shield the Old Man?

Speaking of a sunken joint, the pen blade on the jacks is just short of being so. The pen blade's tang blends in perfectly with the top of the bolster. Sadly I don't have a pic of it at the moment. Glad to see this run is single blades, as I simply prefer them, but I really would like to see GEC make a jack version with the muskrat clip & pen blade, or coping, even. Stainless preferred.

rpyWOLC.jpg

e9NNaIV.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of toothpicks. Most manufacturers' renditions of the pattern are too thin for my liking. On the other hand, I love GEC's #12 - its lines are very reminiscent of a laguiole. I've been looking forward to them releasing a single blade non-templar version of this pattern for a long time.

Damn... missed the reservation posting on CK for the camel...

Edit: Jigged bone it is!

Last edited:
Undoubtedly too late for this run, but I just sent GEC suggestions/recommendations/ideas for a stainless clip/coping pairing. I want to believe they listen to their customers and someone reads emails. At least in my mind it's a good idea. :)

I also mentioned the world needs more gold glitter, and no I'm not joking. Would look great on a t'pick. I really do wish I'd have gobbled up the entire series when the picking was good.

i do not care for this pattern with the standard clip blade, but the skinny muskrat clip blade sells this 12 for me.

i hope the single blade #12 have a good handle thickness

Back