2019 Liong Mah/Reate Knives

He’s on fire right now. The kind of top flipper design has a bizarre looking (kinda phallic) tab, but the general design language is amazing.

He’s on fire right now. The kind of top flipper design has a bizarre looking (kinda phallic) tab, but the general design language is amazing.
Yeah I keep checking this out on ig...front flipper tab is growing on me. Looks pretty snappy. I might just save for his releases I want like 4 of the knives he's posted at least... Curious who's making the US made knives.

I’m gonna try the Hawk. Love that blade shape and size. Maybe the Kuf as well. Also really like the Field Duty, but at 4 inches never happen.

I owned the CRKT GSD and it left a lot to be desired. Sold it almost immediately. This has kept me away from actual Liong Mah designs. There are some ok looking stuff in his new cataloge...but just too pricey.
Ps. Havent bought a CRKT knife since either. Lol.
Maybe Ill try one some day...I do dig the Lanny with CF.

I owned the CRKT GSD and it left a lot to be desired. Sold it almost immediately. This has kept me away from actual Liong Mah designs. There are some ok looking stuff in his new cataloge...but just too pricey.
Ps. Havent bought a CRKT knife since either. Lol.
Maybe Ill try one some day...I do dig the Lanny with CF.

I really love the Lanny as well, and the new Zulu. The price is a big killer for me, even though it's Reate-made with the associated quality of materials and fit and finish, Liong's designs from them always run a bit more. The Kirby Lambert Crossroads midtech is almost $100 less than most of what appear to be the broadly comparable Liong Mah designs with similar materials, even though both are made by Reate.

I really love the Lanny as well, and the new Zulu. The price is a big killer for me, even though it's Reate-made with the associated quality of materials and fit and finish, Liong's designs from them always run a bit more. The Kirby Lambert Crossroads midtech is almost $100 less than most of what appear to be the broadly comparable Liong Mah designs with similar materials, even though both are made by Reate.

Same exact thoughts here. I get that you pay a premium but it feels like a Reate Knife with a LM Tax on top, which is a little hard to justify.
I want an Eraser but its like 550$ here, that is a lot of money for basically a production knife.

Same exact thoughts here. I get that you pay a premium but it feels like a Reate Knife with a LM Tax on top, which is a little hard to justify.
I want an Eraser but its like 550$ here, that is a lot of money for basically a production knife.

The Lanny flipper is so beautiful though that I might have to make an exception. The Eraser and the Warrior V2 are up there as well.

The Lanny flipper is so beautiful though that I might have to make an exception. The Eraser and the Warrior V2 are up there as well.
I have a LM Lanny with brown micarta from the first run and it's an awesome knife. I understand about the price issue...it's a lot of money for an imported production knife.
You might want to check out the Berg Blades Iron Wolf. Made by WE Knives, not Reate, but every bit as nice as the Lanny with a significantly lower price tag. I have the Iron Pup (mini version of the Iron Wolf) and I love it.
rs=w_600,h_600.jpg
The Pena Lannys are nice too. A little cheaper than LM but made by Reate. They have a recurve though...ugh.

I wish the Traveler used thinner blade stock. It still looks like it's right up my alley, but I don't see a need for .145" stock on a slipjoint with a 2.75" long blade.

I have a LM Lanny with brown micarta from the first run and it's an awesome knife. I understand about the price issue...it's a lot of money for an imported production knife.
You might want to check out the Berg Blades Iron Wolf. Made by WE Knives, not Reate, but every bit as nice as the Lanny with a significantly lower price tag. I have the Iron Pup (mini version of the Iron Wolf) and I love it.
View attachment 1058511
The Pena Lannys are nice too. A little cheaper than LM but made by Reate. They have a recurve though...ugh.

I've been eyeballing the Iron Wolf and Iron Pup for a while, too. I actually really love the Pena Lanny flipper by Reate. If it were M390 I'd already own one.

Quite a few of the Liong Mah knives have hand ground blades. You guys saying they are priced high don’t seem to understand that aspect. Most midtechs from Asia prices ~$400 do not have hand ground blades.

View attachment 1058511
I'm glad to read you had good experience with your Burg Blades Pup. I just scored one Saturday of the Exchange and I can't wait to give it a try.:D

Quite a few of the Liong Mah knives have hand ground blades. You guys saying they are priced high don’t seem to understand that aspect. Most midtechs from Asia prices ~$400 do not have hand ground blades.

That does explain it some, but I'm not sure an Eraser's hand-ground blade justifies a $65 premium over the Lambert Crossroads.

My only issue is the random edge grind termination on every single one of his designs, and the fact that the heel usually thickens up, usually due to too far forward of a ricasso. No reason for this at all, especially not on $450 knives. Only solution is to manually grind an eighth of an inch choil, which again, $450 knife, should not need to be modded. When this finally gets addressed, I'll pick up some of his work. Almost bought a lanny until I saw the aforementioned issues.

Back