2019 Liong Mah/Reate Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by madcap_magician, Jan 21, 2019.

1. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Liong's 2019 catalogue is out, and there's some pretty cool stuff in there.

The balisong, KUF v2, Hawk, and Zulu are standouts to me.

CitizenO'B, Dragon_Man and Lapedog like this.
  2. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    He’s on fire right now. The kind of top flipper design has a bizarre looking (kinda phallic) tab, but the general design language is amazing.

3. Pogonasong

Pogonasong Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Yeah I keep checking this out on ig...front flipper tab is growing on me. Looks pretty snappy. I might just save for his releases I want like 4 of the knives he's posted at least... Curious who's making the US made knives.

4. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    I like some of their designs but the price tag is still high for me

Shorttime likes this.
  5. Mrgauth

Mrgauth Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2016
    I’m gonna try the Hawk. Love that blade shape and size. Maybe the Kuf as well. Also really like the Field Duty, but at 4 inches never happen.

6. madcap_magician

Feb 27, 2005
    I like that he has finally switched to M390 as his standard steel.

CitizenO'B and B Griffin like this.
  7. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    I owned the CRKT GSD and it left a lot to be desired. Sold it almost immediately. This has kept me away from actual Liong Mah designs. There are some ok looking stuff in his new cataloge...but just too pricey.
    Ps. Havent bought a CRKT knife since either. Lol.
    Maybe Ill try one some day...I do dig the Lanny with CF.

8. madcap_magician

Feb 27, 2005
    I really love the Lanny as well, and the new Zulu. The price is a big killer for me, even though it's Reate-made with the associated quality of materials and fit and finish, Liong's designs from them always run a bit more. The Kirby Lambert Crossroads midtech is almost $100 less than most of what appear to be the broadly comparable Liong Mah designs with similar materials, even though both are made by Reate.

9. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    Good looking knives for sure.

10. b00n

b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    Same exact thoughts here. I get that you pay a premium but it feels like a Reate Knife with a LM Tax on top, which is a little hard to justify.
    I want an Eraser but its like 550$ here, that is a lot of money for basically a production knife.

madcap_magician likes this.
  11. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    He's doing a button lock that's probably an auto.

I might have to sell a kidney.

t.willy and wickettedge like this.
  12. madcap_magician

Feb 27, 2005
    The Lanny flipper is so beautiful though that I might have to make an exception. The Eraser and the Warrior V2 are up there as well.

13. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I have a LM Lanny with brown micarta from the first run and it's an awesome knife. I understand about the price issue...it's a lot of money for an imported production knife.
    You might want to check out the Berg Blades Iron Wolf. Made by WE Knives, not Reate, but every bit as nice as the Lanny with a significantly lower price tag. I have the Iron Pup (mini version of the Iron Wolf) and I love it.
    rs=w_600,h_600.jpg
    The Pena Lannys are nice too. A little cheaper than LM but made by Reate. They have a recurve though...ugh.

SpySmasher and t.willy like this.
  14. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I wish the Traveler used thinner blade stock. It still looks like it's right up my alley, but I don't see a need for .145" stock on a slipjoint with a 2.75" long blade.

15. madcap_magician

Feb 27, 2005
    I've been eyeballing the Iron Wolf and Iron Pup for a while, too. I actually really love the Pena Lanny flipper by Reate. If it were M390 I'd already own one.

16. Biginboca

Biginboca

Mar 17, 1999
    Quite a few of the Liong Mah knives have hand ground blades. You guys saying they are priced high don’t seem to understand that aspect. Most midtechs from Asia prices ~$400 do not have hand ground blades.

17. t.willy

t.willy

Mar 31, 2016
    I'm glad to read you had good experience with your Burg Blades Pup. I just scored one Saturday of the Exchange and I can't wait to give it a try.:D

18. austonh

austonh Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Some great designs in there for sure. Also, not sure if you guys noticed, but some of the new models are being produced in the USA. Curious who he found to produce them State-side.

SpySmasher and madcap_magician like this.
  19. madcap_magician

Feb 27, 2005
    That does explain it some, but I'm not sure an Eraser's hand-ground blade justifies a $65 premium over the Lambert Crossroads.

Minh762 likes this.
  20. `br4dz-

`br4dz- Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2016
    My only issue is the random edge grind termination on every single one of his designs, and the fact that the heel usually thickens up, usually due to too far forward of a ricasso. No reason for this at all, especially not on $450 knives. Only solution is to manually grind an eighth of an inch choil, which again, $450 knife, should not need to be modded. When this finally gets addressed, I'll pick up some of his work. Almost bought a lanny until I saw the aforementioned issues.

t.willy likes this.