2019 Memorial Scout Knife GAW

abbydaddy

Gold Member
In the interest of getting more folks entered into my giveaway, I wanted to post out here in General that my GAW is going on in the Traditional Subforum. You can enter in the GAW here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2019-memorial-scout-knife-gaw.1636522/

If you aren't interested in entering, but want to comment feel free to comment here since that will keep the GAW bumped up :)

Background on the Giveaway

Another year has begun and it is my baby brother's birthday, and so it is time for another memorial Scout Knife Giveaway. The first few times I did this Giveaway I did it on the anniversary of my brother's death, but a few years ago I shifted the Giveaway to his birthday.

Sadly I learned as I was getting ready to put this post together that the original inspiration for this GAW, Charlie Mike, has suddenly passed (https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/rip-charlie-mike.1636471/). This GAW is not a Charlie Mike memorial GAW, but I hope that continuing the giving that he inspired can help make his memory be for a blessing.

Background About My Brother

On May 14th, 2014, my baby brother died in a car accident. He was 13 years younger than me, but we were very close. When he was a baby we shared a room, and so I woke with him and fed him and changed him as an infant (which led my dad to mistakenly claim that August slept through the night from the beginning at one point). For a good chunk of his early childhood it was just him, me, and my dad, so my brother had a hard time understanding that he did not have two dads. As he got older that changed, but the semi-parental character always stayed a part of our relationship. After I moved out he moved across the country to live with his mom, who he stayed with for the most part until his death. Nonetheless, he always made sure to call me at least a couple times a month until he died. He was very good about keeping in touch. Much better than I am.

He did not have an easy go of it in life, and as he got on into his teenage years he had a lot of trouble with drugs and alcohol. He had a series of stints in rehab and a school for troubled teens. After high school he continued the same trajectory, and though he enrolled in a community college he was not able to keep clean and quickly dropped out. After dropping out of college he finally seemed to get serious about his recovery. After another stint in rehab he started going to Narcotics Anonymous meetings regularly.

After years of expecting to hear that my brother had died of an overdose, he suddenly seemed to be back. His speech was clear, he was happy, he went back to school and was doing better this time. He held down a job and was active in the recovery community. He was optimistic and doing well, and I stopped expecting bad news. As it turned out he stayed clean for the rest of his life.

Four years ago my daughter was born, and my brother was thrilled to be an uncle. My wife and I made plans to fly him out with her brothers so all the uncles could meet Abby together.

A month after my daughter was born, late at night, he gave a friend a ride home, and then on his own way home, lost control of his car (driving way too fast) and wrapped his car around a telephone pole. His system was clean, he wasn't drunk or high, he was just driving recklessly (much as I had done at his age). He was 20 years old.

Though his car was just ten feet off the side of the road, near a housing development, it was more than four hours before anyone stopped to check on his car. In my brother's case it probably wouldn't have made a difference if he had crashed next to an emergency room, but we'll never know for sure. I include this detail just as a reminder that we are all in this together, and you can save lives just by stopping to check. I've saved a few folks over the years by checking on wrecks, and I've known other people who were saved by a passerby stopping. It doesn't take any special knowledge or skill to call 911 for a person in trouble, but you could save their life.

But on to the giveaway.

After my brother passed, his mother sent some of his things to me that had special sentimental value. When my brother was little he was very impressed by my sword collection, so when he turned 13 I bought him a replica saber. His mother sent his sword back to me, along with his babyhood favorite stuffed Barney for my daughter, and for my father she sent my brother's knife. My brother's knife was my dad's old Camillus Boy Scout Knife, and it was in turn my brother's adventure knife. Though my brother was not a Boy Scout, that old Boy Scout knife was special to him.

I wanted to be able to share that, or to help someone else share it. So my idea is to send a Boy Scout Knife out to someone to give to a youngster for their first knife. So I'm asking you to nominate someone else who you will give the knife to, but this year you can also enter for yourself (so that more people will participate).

Unfortunately, Camillus went bankrupt a while back, and even the new Camillus doesn't make an official Boy Scout Knife. In the past I have given away official BSA licensed scout knives, but I could not find an appropriate one for a kids first knife this year (Scoutstuff doesn't carry them anymore, and the only NIB true BSA Scout Knives I could find were expensive limited edition models from years past). So this year the child's knife portion of the GAW will be a Boker Magnum in ebony. I am quite impressed with the quality. There is no BSA medallion, but the knives are very well done (at least the one I opened to inspect).

20190115_205654-jpg.1055104

20190115_205600-jpg.1055105

This year's kids knife offering.

In order to encourage more participation, a couple years ago I started offering another knife that people could try to win for themselves. This year's adult knife offering is due to a pretty amazing bit of generosity from W. R. Case and Sons. last year. WR Case and Sons Cutlery was told about my giveaway, and they reached out to me to offer to give me some Boy Scouts of America Case knives! :eek::eek::eek:

I was absolutely floored. Case sent me 4 Red Bone BSA Half Whittlers. I gave one away last year in my memorial GAW. I gave one to my dad when he came to visit for the Super Bowl (Football was always something that we all enjoyed watching together, and the timing was perfect for this giveaway). I gave one to August's mom. That leaves one, and that will be the one I give away this year. I wanted to be very mindful about honoring the generosity that Case showed in sending me those gifts.

In years past I have said that I would have liked to give away Case scout knives, but couldn't afford it. Case made it possible for me to do it two years in a row. :)

casebsahws-jpg.838399

casebsahw-jpg.838398

The knife in this picture is not the knife you will receive, the knife you will receive is still in the original unopened package with the shrink wrapped plastic around the tin.

20190115_205728-jpg.1055107

The prizes (there are actually multiples of the kids prize, I usually give away a few during this process, though I don't publicize all the ones I give away)

So If you want to enter, click through the link, and if not, feel free to comment here.

Giving this a little weekend bump. If you or anyone you know could use a good knife, feel free to enter.

I’m not entering as I have more Case knives than I will ever need and live in Canada, but thanks for posting your story. Sorry for your loss, but your post was all class. :thumbsup:

For some reason I can't see the images, but if they are appropriate knives for a boy scout you can count me in. I am an assistant scoutmaster and some of our young scouts do not have a decent knife.

For some reason I can't see the images, but if they are appropriate knives for a boy scout you can count me in. I am an assistant scoutmaster and some of our young scouts do not have a decent knife.

If you would like to enter, the thread I linked to is the correct one to enter the GAW. You can click through here as well: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/2019-memorial-scout-knife-gaw.1636522/

The knives are certainly scouting appropriate. They are scout knives.

Very generous of you, AND of Case!

I hope somebody wins it and gets to use it as their "adventure knife" to further honor the memory.

Back