2019 Summer Kitchen Kith New deadline 02 November

Which profiles from the following do you prefer for the kith? Pick two.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have been using carbide paddle bits and they are great if you are gentle but this is looks way more rugged. I might even have one floating around from a old job.

I am very interesting i this. Might be the thing to kick me in the butt to get back on the grinder. Been spending too much time playing with 3d printers and cnc machines....

What would the cost on the blanks be? and would I be able to get a couple of each?

The scans have been e-mailed to JT. If anyone wants a copy, message me, or e-mail me at wjkrywko at gmail dot com.

Here is #1 all drawn up. I will have a link to a large file you can download and print. I have go to work but I will draw the other 2 later.

Photo%20Jul%2016%2C%2012%2047%2046%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2016%2C%2012%2047%2022%20PM.jpg

We’ll set the completion date for 2months after the blades can be ordered.

Warren

this year, we will be doing the kith (Knife in the Hat) a little bit differently. (See here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/summer-kith.1671127/) JTknives has offered to cut out profiles and heat treat 15n20 to make sure we all have a great starting point. I have sent JT six profiles to review. For those of us who have steel and dialed heat treat, the profiles can be e-mailed to each smith. There will be a lot of customization available to make it your own, as you can design western or wa handles, full tang, or hidden tang, and grind etc. All the profiles are ones that have been used by many people.

What is a kith? A kith (Knife in the hat) was something men did during the depression. Each man would put a knife in the hat, and the hat would be passed around and each person would pick a knife to use to whittle that day. In modern times, it’s a gift exchange, (and obviously not limited to men) . Each person makes a knife, and on the completion date, a draw is done, and the knife is sent to the recipient. This is about giving, not receiving. There are wide ranges of skill, and when I first started out, I really appreciated feedback on my knives, and the opportunity to see and use other people’s work. For the past few years, we have had feedback provided, either on the forum, or in private, at the smith’s preference.

Since we are second week in July, we will have a completion date in September. I’ll pick a date, and edit this post to confirm it.

You are not obligated to anything unless you finish your knife before the completion date. You must post a pic of the completed knife, and provide your address to be entered in the draw. Life gets in the way, so if you do not complete, no harm, no foul. We often get a lot of question s regarding whether someone is ‘good enough” to enter. I do not police entries or tell people they aren’t good enough. Just ask yourself, can I make a straight blade, properly heat treated, with good geometry, and appropriate materials? For kitchen knives, that means 0.005” or thinner before sharpening, typically full flat grind, or offset grinds, depending on the style, and stabilized wood or synthetic handle materials. Being able to do a decent finish with even pattern, and no rough grind marks poking through.

I’ll post the patterns once reviewed by JT.

To join, just post “‘I’m in!”
I’m in!

So are the profiled blanks from JT are going to be 3/32" 15N20? And no saya needed? I might be able to get one done in 2 months, but plus saya is iffy...

Saya required? If sp. would a wooden saya be required, or would a leather or kydex be suitable? I'd not considered a saya, never done a wooden saya, usually use Kydex or leather.

Saya required? If sp. would a wooden saya be required, or would a leather or kydex be suitable? I'd not considered a saya, never done a wooden saya, usually use Kydex or leather.

Saya is preferred. Leather is not so useful in the kitchen, as it traps moisture. Sayas are not hard to do. I’ll do a wip when I do mine.

So are the profiled blanks from JT are going to be 3/32" 15N20? And no saya needed? I might be able to get one done in 2 months, but plus saya is iffy...

If I remember correctly, he has two thicknesses, about 0.090” and 0.070”. I’m not sure if he’s offering both.

Regarding the saya, i’ll make some maple slabs planed to thickness to make a a saya. The easiest is to do a three piece construction, much like a frame handle on a knife. I use spruce or poplar for the center piece typically. It can be maple too. I’ll donate the wood for anyone who needs it, just pay shipping. It only takes a couple hours to make a saya once the wood is at the right thickness.

Hello all. One of the reasons why I brought up the summer KITH a few weeks ago was that I wanted feedback on a new handle style I tried and was planning on using this knife as my entry.
gVeEApB.jpg

If #2 is chosen as an option, could I use this as my entry? Blade length is 6"+ with OAL just shy of 12"

Thanks and have a good day.

JTknives JTknives I'm more than happy to help with any profile tracing & CAD file generation, if it would help take a little load off. I use AutoCAD pretty much every day.

JTknives JTknives I'm more than happy to help with any profile tracing & CAD file generation, if it would help take a little load off. I use AutoCAD pretty much every day.

Send me an e-mail at Wjkrywko at gmail dot com and I’ll send you the scans.

Finishing up the last 2 this morning. Once done I will probably just cut a bunch of each.

Ok here are all 3. I just eyeballed the pin holes. Thy will just be marked with a dimple with the plasma.

%231%20PRINTs.jpg

%232%20PRINTs.jpg

%233%20PRINTs.jpg

Hi JT, do we contact you via your website or IM on here to get them?

Finishing up the last 2 this morning. Once done I will probably just cut a bunch of each.

They are very common requests, #2 is the most popular knife I make. It can be either a k-tip, or regular tip. Everyone who has them says it’s their most used knife. #1 won’t fit in a 2” mouth dewar though for anyone wanting to make one in stainless or higher alloy steel.

Back