2019 Summer Kitchen Kith New deadline 02 November

Which profiles from the following do you prefer for the kith? Pick two.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow this has kinda exploded on me lol. I will get these cut as soon as I can. I just cut the .136 aebl tonight. It’s skittle unnerving laying a pricy chunk of steel down and pushing one button that turns it fate over to a machine lol
It looks like it did a great job.

Productive morning. You will notice the blades are held in place with tabs. I had to switch to using tabs as blades like to move as your cutting. As the steel warms up it expands and the blade pushes away from the cut. To compensate for the starts and stops I added about .025 per side for clean up. This will give you plenty of meat to zip around the profile and clean it up.

Photo%20Jul%2030%2C%202%2037%2048%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2030%2C%202%2038%2035%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2030%2C%202%2039%2008%20PM.jpg

I also have an auto nesting program. It was taking way to long to nest things. Now I load up all the blanks and push go and leave it. It just keeps trying different patterns till it can fit the mist blades in the smallest space.

Very cool!!!

Why all the waves around the outside of the plates? Was that from previous work?

Productive morning. You will notice the blades are held in place with tabs. I had to switch to using tabs as blades like to move as your cutting. As the steel warms up it expands and the blade pushes away from the cut. To compensate for the starts and stops I added about .025 per side for clean up. This will give you plenty of meat to zip around the profile and clean it up.

Photo%20Jul%2030%2C%202%2037%2048%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2030%2C%202%2038%2035%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Jul%2030%2C%202%2039%2008%20PM.jpg

Looks lke a lot of happy chefs in the next few Months!

Quick update. My knife and Kim Nolan’s knives are heat treated. 15n20 at Rc63/64. I used profile 4, full tang, and Kim had me shorten #4 two inches and make it hidden tang.

Hello all. Was the plan for us to do a saya for the blades seeing as we aren't forging them?

I’m heading to the cabin tonight. We ‘love update the thread with the deadline when I get back on Sunday or Monday.

My plan (fingers crossed) is to have all the blades ready to ship around Tuesday. It turned into quite a few blades. I think we ended up with 60 knives ordered. We cut extra for any stragglers in the future but those will be heat treated as needed. But that’s a ton of blades to toss into my normal heat treating schedule. We are working through them as we speak. Here is a pic to show the batch of #1’s I cut today. Wife is working on tempering some of the #2s today.

Photo%20Aug%2008%2C%203%2024%2029%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Aug%2008%2C%203%2025%2014%20PM.jpg

Not a problem, it’s what I’m here for. But I think the KITH has made me even more busy. Wife picked out a #1 she wants me to finish for her lol

Oh and I left a little meat around the profile so it can be cleaned up by you guys.

Oh and I left a little meat around the profile so it can be cleaned up by you guys.
Very cool dude.
Just a idea, I was thinking that it could be fun if you were to sponsor a KITH. Maybe charge $50 to play so you make some money and then get a few people to do some judging and perhaps a series of test with codified parameters that the knives would perform. At the end the winner gets a prize like some of your bronze or plasma time. Divvy the blades at the end.
Just a idea but it could be good for your business without being to expensive for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: weo
Back