1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 Summer Kitchen Kith

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Willie71, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Profile 1

57.9%
  2. Profile 2

42.1%
  3. Profile 3

5.3%
  4. Profile 4

42.1%
  5. Profile 5

15.8%
  6. Profile 6

15.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    It looks like it did a great job.

2. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Productive morning. You will notice the blades are held in place with tabs. I had to switch to using tabs as blades like to move as your cutting. As the steel warms up it expands and the blade pushes away from the cut. To compensate for the starts and stops I added about .025 per side for clean up. This will give you plenty of meat to zip around the profile and clean it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Wow, looks great! I envy your set-up JT.

Willie71 likes this.
  4. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    I also have an auto nesting program. It was taking way to long to nest things. Now I load up all the blanks and push go and leave it. It just keeps trying different patterns till it can fit the mist blades in the smallest space.

Nick Dunham likes this.
  5. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Very cool!!!

Why all the waves around the outside of the plates? Was that from previous work?

6. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010

Those are the teeth from the large bandsaw blades those sections of 15n20 used to belong to. :)

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel
    ... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

7. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Looks lke a lot of happy chefs in the next few Months!

8. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Quick update. My knife and Kim Nolan’s knives are heat treated. 15n20 at Rc63/64. I used profile 4, full tang, and Kim had me shorten #4 two inches and make it hidden tang.

kdnolin likes this.
  9. Travis_Wright

Travis_Wright

Jan 27, 2019
    Is it too late to get in on this? I would like to have another knifemaker critique my work.

10. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    Nope, not too late. Check with JT to see about a blank.

11. weo

weo KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 21, 2014
    Hello all. Was the plan for us to do a saya for the blades seeing as we aren't forging them?

12. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    JT is doing a few extra for me. If he doesn't have time I can part ways with one of mine.

Willie71 likes this.
  13. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    I have cut extra of each

Willie71 and Storm W like this.
  14. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    Yes, a saya is preferred, but a zippered pouch will work too.

Storm W likes this.
  15. Willie71

Feb 23, 2013
    I’m heading to the cabin tonight. We ‘love update the thread with the deadline when I get back on Sunday or Monday.

16. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    My plan (fingers crossed) is to have all the blades ready to ship around Tuesday. It turned into quite a few blades. I think we ended up with 60 knives ordered. We cut extra for any stragglers in the future but those will be heat treated as needed. But that’s a ton of blades to toss into my normal heat treating schedule. We are working through them as we speak. Here is a pic to show the batch of #1’s I cut today. Wife is working on tempering some of the #2s today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. weo

Sep 21, 2014
    Wow! Great job and thanks for doing this JT!

18. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    Not a problem, it’s what I’m here for. But I think the KITH has made me even more busy. Wife picked out a #1 she wants me to finish for her lol

19. JTknives

Jun 11, 2006
    Oh and I left a little meat around the profile so it can be cleaned up by you guys.

Storm W likes this.
  20. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    Very cool dude.
    Just a idea, I was thinking that it could be fun if you were to sponsor a KITH. Maybe charge $50 to play so you make some money and then get a few people to do some judging and perhaps a series of test with codified parameters that the knives would perform. At the end the winner gets a prize like some of your bronze or plasma time. Divvy the blades at the end.
    Just a idea but it could be good for your business without being to expensive for you.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    weo likes this.