2019 Summer Kitchen Kith New deadline 02 November

Which profiles from the following do you prefer for the kith? Pick two.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Got some grinding done on mine this week. Went with Norax X45 then fine surface conditioning. I’m not big on the hand sanding View attachment 1179506

I was going to post how good your knife is looking, but you beat me to it! Scotchbrite finishes are great in daily use. They reduce stiction. I never go higher than 400 on a kitchen knife, unless it has a hamon, or Damascus. I leave my personal knives at 120x now.

Thanks Warren, the edge is at 0.010 now, I’m going to take it thinner. I am always afraid of over heating once the steel gets thin, but I’ll put a fresh belt on and see is I can get down to 0.005.

I hope everyone is happy with there blanks. Thy all have been shipped except one order as thy wanted more blanks in another style as well.

Thanks Warren, the edge is at 0.010 now, I’m going to take it thinner. I am always afraid of over heating once the steel gets thin, but I’ll put a fresh belt on and see is I can get down to 0.005.
Fresh belt and bare wet hands. I apply pressure with my thumbs right at the edge. You will quickly feel the heat and give it a dunk.

Anyone else got there blades yet?

6xZEMFk.jpg

Just got mine! 3 #1’s and 4# 3’s!
Hopefully I’ll get some useable stuff out of this pile!!!

The handle profile is on the large side but “normal.” You can shrink it front and back 1/4” as desired, depending on user preference.

We also left about .025 per side for clean up.

I got my blades. Thanks for doing this. Don't think I'll get one done in time for the KITH, but will post photos when finished.

I got mine yesterday. Now to decide which one to use for the KITH.

Willie71 you mentioned #2 is your best seller. What thickness metal do you use for those?
JT do you have any #2 left over?

Yeah
If it doesn't have something I have a couple extra.
we cut extra. When I have time today I will add them to the website.

Willie71 you mentioned #2 is your best seller. What thickness metal do you use for those?
JT do you have any #2 left over?

For a ffg, I use thin, down to 0.040”, but commonly 0.060”-0.090”. (JT’s 15n20 is perfect for this.) For offset grinds, up to 0.125”, and occasionally 0.150, but that is rare, just two so far. Talk to the customer about what they are cutting, and how they cut, then help them decide. With thicker steels, I do a distal taper, so the front half of the knife is 3/32” or thinner. Some people like the rounded tip, others like the K-tip.

Back