Photos 2019 Traditional Blade Forum Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
IF it has to GEC again then why ask for a variant of their new 29? Not that distinguished and a three blade will cost a lot- the Dixie runs around 120 so I think a 29 'special' will cost more.

Personally, I'd ideally like a pattern we've not had before and something GEC has yet to offer but uses an existing frame, to keep costs down etc. Use a 14 frame as a Sleeveboard and do it as Shadow which GEC has not done either so you have the tooling ready, the blades but a novel configuration and finish. Smooth Bone, Wood or an Acrylic looking like Butter&Molasses would be beauties with a small Bar shield. Just asuggestion?

Another option is to investigate a Lionsteel knife, they finish knives really well and CK has an established connexion with them. They could offer a 'New Traditional' pattern as single blade say a Swell End, Saddlehorn, Sodbuster or even a Traditional Italian or Sardinian style pattern?

I've had nearly all the forum Knives since 08 with the exception of 09 and 12. The two I like most and use are the 14 Stag and the current Forum Knife 18 in Elk, the latter is going to be used and carried of that I'm certain.

Thanks, Will

IF it has to GEC again then why ask for a variant of their new 29? Not that distinguished and a three blade will cost a lot- the Dixie runs around 120 so I think a 29 'special' will cost more.

Personally, I'd ideally like a pattern we've not had before and something GEC has yet to offer but uses an existing frame, to keep costs down etc. Use a 14 frame as a Sleeveboard and do it as Shadow which GEC has not done either so you have the tooling ready, the blades but a novel configuration and finish. Smooth Bone, Wood or an Acrylic looking like Butter&Molasses would be beauties with a small Bar shield. Just asuggestion?

Another option is to investigate a Lionsteel knife, they finish knives really well and CK has an established connexion with them. They could offer a 'New Traditional' pattern as single blade say a Swell End, Saddlehorn, Sodbuster or even a Traditional Italian or Sardinian style pattern?

I've had nearly all the forum Knives since 08 with the exception of 09 and 12. The two I like most and use are the 14 Stag and the current Forum Knife 18 in Elk, the latter is going to be used and carried of that I'm certain.

Thanks, Will
Hey Will,
What do you think of the pattern they use for the Northwoods Bear Lake? They haven't done anything of their own with it yet, and it would make a pretty handy wharncliffe whittler - or more likely half whittler for our parameters.

Don't know, will have to look into it but if it's Northwoods then I suppose KSF have the monopoly rights on it even if made by GEC.?

A 57 GEC Half Whitt with Wharncliffe major would be worth thinking about, or my real dream, a single blade 92 Eureka with Spear longpull-make it Bowtie shield, smooth bone and all stainless construction why don't you?:cool:

My Northwoods Presidential is one of my favorites. 4" Cigar with a spear and wharncliffe. One spring and two blades, keeps weight, size, and cost lower. Something on the 62 frame is still my top pick if we go GEC.

Let's think about blade styles too:

08 3 blade Stockman Clip master
09 Barlow Clip master, Wharncliffe sec.
10 Moose Clip master, Spear sec
11 Teardrop Spear master, opener sec.
12 Trapper Clip master Wharncliffe sec
13 Irish Jack (Congress type frame) Sheepfoot master, Pen sec
14 Stag Jack Clip Master single blade
15 Shadow Serp Clip master, sheepfoot sec.
16. Equal End Spear master, Punch sec
17 Barlow Sheepfoot single
18 Stockman square end fram, Clip master, Sheepfoot sec

Think I got them correct... lot of Clips, no Wharncliffe single, no Drop-Point yet either.... no Spear single, no Hawkbill or Pruner single:cool:

Plenty to consider:D:thumbsup:

How about looking to Italy? Getting Lionsteel or Maserin to do one? They've shown that they can make excellent production runs at far less cost than might be imagined. We could get something truly unique rather than just a rehash of whatever GEC are doing anyway but with different scales. I think the Buck 2018 knife has shown that we can open our minds beyond that.

knifeswapper knifeswapper would you be at all interested in something like this?
Maybe it's just me, but Lionsteel looks a little too modern for my tastes. Great knives, I am sure, but I wouldn't buy one.
I guess there will be polls. :)

Don't know, will have to look into it but if it's Northwoods then I suppose KSF have the monopoly rights on it even if made by GEC.?

A 57 GEC Half Whitt with Wharncliffe major would be worth thinking about, or my real dream, a single blade 92 Eureka with Spear longpull-make it Bowtie shield, smooth bone and all stainless construction why don't you?:cool:
I'm on board with a 57 half whittler. If you throw the coping back on it, I'm 100% in on a 92.

I know a lot of folks want more Eureka Jacks, it may be early enough that we could lobby for it. Even if what we vote for would be a single blade or other variation, it could result in a regular run of spear/coping for the masses - which is a very appealing byproduct!

Maybe it's just me, but Lionsteel looks a little too modern for my tastes.
I agree 100%, too modern for the Forum Knife.
They are fantastic knives though. I had one and liked it very much. But it was just a tiny bit too big for every day carry, and I also refused to post pictures of it on the Porch except in the "Modern Traditional" thread. For those reasons I let it go to a better home. Now if they would ever do a 3-1/2" version with pinned construction, I'd be down for one of those.

Let's think about blade styles too:

08 3 blade Stockman Clip master
09 Barlow Clip master, Wharncliffe sec.
10 Moose Clip master, Spear sec
11 Teardrop Spear master, opener sec.
12 Trapper Clip master Wharncliffe sec
13 Irish Jack (Congress type frame) Sheepfoot master, Pen sec
14 Stag Jack Clip Master single blade
15 Shadow Serp Clip master, sheepfoot sec.
16. Equal End Spear master, Punch sec
17 Barlow Sheepfoot single
18 Stockman square end fram, Clip master, Sheepfoot sec

Think I got them correct... lot of Clips, no Wharncliffe single, no Drop-Point yet either.... no Spear single, no Hawkbill or Pruner single:cool:

Plenty to consider:D:thumbsup:
Left you a a profile page message.

I love the Lionsteel Shuffler/Roundhead/Dom series, but I don't know if we'd ever be able to get into them for less than a hundred bucks each. But if we could, and knifeswapper knifeswapper was willing to take on the task, I'd totally be into one of them in a unique cover material.

Good recap, Will, and I totaled them up to find only a single 3-blade and only two 1-blade knives. I think a Zulu spear single blade on the #92 Eureka frame would be a total winner. That, or my first suggestion of a #29 cattle knife. The most recent Dixie 3-blade came in just over $100 for the micarta version, and with a smaller pattern and maybe sawcut wood handles it would be under the century mark.

Last edited:
Because of timing for Fall, The #86 Pattern would be nice. It is simple and utilitarian. A hardwood, like Desert Ironwood would be great.

A drop point, locking, back pocket would be pretty nice too. The one issue I do have with the 2018 knife is that it's too long to fit in a watch pocket, and too small to fit in the back pocket. Something like a Queen Mountain Man would be a departure from what we've had prior, and very traditional.

Good recap, Will, and I totaled them up to find only a single 3-blade and only two 1-blade knives. I think a Zulu spear single blade on the #92 Eureka frame would be a total winner. That, or my first suggestion of a #29 cattle knife. The most recent Dixie 3-blade came in just over $100 for the micarta version, and with a smaller pattern and maybe sawcut wood handles it would be under the century mark.

The first was a ring opener with Spear and pen, the second was a Canittler; spear main, coping and pen secondaries.

How about looking to Italy? Getting Lionsteel or Maserin to do one? They've shown that they can make excellent production runs at far less cost than might be imagined. We could get something truly unique rather than just a rehash of whatever GEC are doing anyway but with different scales. I think the Buck 2018 knife has shown that we can open our minds beyond that.

knifeswapper knifeswapper would you be at all interested in something like this?

If I can help, I will. Just keep in mind that you will lose some hardliners and gain some more modern minded; I don't imagine the interest will wain, just different faces. I have not had a new frame project yet get completed within 1 year; so between that and the technology setup fees, you are probably limited to an existing frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back