Photos 2019 Traditional Blade Forum Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I got them correct... lot of Clips, no Wharncliffe single, no Drop-Point yet either.... no Spear single, no Hawkbill or Pruner single:cool:
Plenty to consider:D:thumbsup:

A lot of same old, same old, small/medium knives. Something different would be fun. Toothpick? Melon tester? Hawkbill? I like it.

Maserin could be considered as a source as long as they didn't use those silly torx screws.

I'd be up for that, even with the torx. It's on the small side for a Sodbuster, but that would probably broaden the appeal.

I love some of the ideas mentioned so far myself.

-I can definitely get on board with a whittler or small peanutish knife

I would love a whittler and some other patterns not necessarily mentioned here. I have been on the hunt for a good Doctor's Knife w/ spatula blade, Whittler with a wharncliffe main, medium Toothpick, a small multi blade knife like a peanut, Electricians knife, and a stainless Beer Scout. I could probably list more and some I don't think currently exist at least nor with the desired configuration ie stainless Beer Scout.

-I would say for my a stainless is kind of a must but D2 is certainly fine but I'm not as much for carbon myself

I know lots of the porch love and may prefer Carbon and I understand it but for me I prefer stainless or nearly stainless. I love my D2 and I know it technically isn't a stainless but near enough in both composition and function that I have enjoyed it well. I would actually like one in Sleipner if we got an Italian maker for the forum knife as it is similar to D2.

-I would be good with an Italian knife Maserin, Lionsteel, or Viper

I can see what @knifeswapper is saying that time table the Italian makers might be tough to have do a 2019 knife unless if can use an existing model design. If they are out of contention due to time table and preferred designs at least Mike will have some good ideas to take them for his own plans.

Any body else..

See above..

Against perhaps, my better judgement, I will bite.

For the sake of an objective conversation, I am curious as to the source of your admitted bias. As I am not fond of putting words in other folks' mouths and I try my very best to not make assumptions, I will not presume to know what turns you off when it comes to GEC products.

These discussions usually devolve into a GEC versus everyone else so I tend to be curious as to why. With a couple of near exceptions, I have yet to see anyone articulate anything more than a subjective bias. I can list, with relative certainty, the pros and cons in regards to more than a few cutlery firms, GEC included. As of yet, I know not of a firm that I would give a hard pass to, discounting known cloners and the like.

Looks like not.

I wonder if Buck and @skblades would be willing, again? Seeing how they did a great job!

Honestly, I would not say no to another Buck endeavor. I was disappointed in my knife this year but that has little to do with anything other then subjectivity on my part. I didn't vote for the 301, preferring a 110, 112, or 501 instead. But lockbacks present a problem for our international brothers and sisters so I can see why those wouldn't be ideal choices.

Last edited:
Can we consider this as you volunteering? JK
This has been gone over many times as to why it's not feasible.

Whooah. Easy. I was referring to last years’ run which seemed to work really well. Sure it’s a lot of work but a dedicated and committed individual seems to work well and generates a lot of forum involvement in the selections, which we all wanted.

As the Porchenbergers slowly awaken from their seasonal slumbers, many still snoring peacefully,many still away on holidays with the family....a sinister lone shadowy figure lurks near the skip bin at the rear of Porchenberg Municipal Morgue.....he ferrets under the doormat.... he withdraws his hand holding the prize ...a moth is zapped causing the light to flicker revealing the grotesque drooling hunchback Migor the Porchenberg village idiot..the backdoor key to the morgue clutched in his clammy claw.
Insane chortling is heard as he licks his scabby lips with glee.

I don’t know if any of these patterns had been done in the past or not. I was browsing through GEC’s website and came across a couple that looked appealing to me, based on pattern not who makes them.

0269-C9-E5-D1-F5-41-E3-9-BE0-B0-B05-CC877-FA.png

5918-A0-EA-76-D6-4610-A50-F-8-FC652-E5-A419.png

Against perhaps, my better judgement, I will bite.

For the sake of an objective conversation, I am curious as to the source of your admitted bias. As I am not fond of putting words in other folks' mouths and I try my very best to not make assumptions, I will not presume to know what turns you off when it comes to GEC products.

These discussions usually devolve into a GEC versus everyone else so I tend to be curious as to why. With a couple of exceptions, I have yet to see anyone articulate anything more than a subjective bias. I can list, with relative certainty, the pros and cons in regards to more than a few cutlery firms, GEC included. As of yet, I know not of a firm that I would give a hard pass to, discounting known cloners and the like.

Honestly, I would not say no to another Buck endeavor. I was disappointed in my knife this year but that has little to do with anything other then subjectivity on my part. I didn't vote for the 301, preferring a 110, 112, or 501 instead. But lockbacks present a problem for our international brothers and sisters so I can see why those wouldn't be ideal choices.

I will say this and that's it.. I was raised that if ya have nothing nice to say.. Say nothing.. So.. I will politely decline.. :DThanks..:cool:
John

I will say this and that's it.. I was raised that if ya have nothing nice to say.. Say nothing.. So.. I will politely decline.. :DThanks..:cool:
John

Fair enough.

I will conclude with this though, criticism is not unkind when given constructively. Since these forums are here for the discussion of knives, it is common to give criticism where it is due. It helps the consumer with his/her choices and assists the manufacturer in making improvements where desired. GEC is not infallible, nor is anyone, for that matter.

I think we should skip the dealers and organise this ourselves................

Whooah. Easy. I was referring to last years’ run which seemed to work really well. Sure it’s a lot of work but a dedicated and committed individual seems to work well and generates a lot of forum involvement in the selections, which we all wanted.

I'm not sure I follow. Last years knife was organized by a dealer..??

Oh ok. Anyway, point is that having that amount of involvement worked really well - and we should do the same this year. The issue, as I understand it, arose because of concern that there wasn’t enough input from the porch the year before and people wanted that.

This is all predicated on actually having a person who wants to do that work and a knife manufacturer who has the skills and capacity to assist.

This whole process will not go well unless this is done in a spirit of cooperation and goodwill.

I'm not sure I follow. Last years knife was organized by a dealer..??

Yes, your are correct. The Dealer (@SK Blades) did go to Buck, asked if they were up to doing a Forum knife for us, getting Bucks positive reply and then went through all the necessary steps (polls, etc.) to make the Blade Forums Knife come to fruition. BUT the dealer never touched the money or had to back the money. The knives were prepaid through ordering invoices and the money was transferred directly to Buck. Not only the dealer but Frank and Gary were involved with this payment method. In years past, whoever was handling the Forum knives also backed the money for the knives at least to some extent from their own pocket.

Yes, your are correct. The Dealer (@SK Blades) did go to Buck, asked if they were up to doing a Forum knife for us, getting Bucks positive reply and then went through all the necessary steps (polls, etc.) to make the Blade Forums Knife come to fruition. BUT the dealer never touched the money or had to back the money. The knives were prepaid through ordering invoices and the money was transferred directly to Buck. Not only the dealer but Frank and Gary were involved with this payment method. In years past, whoever was handling the Forum knives also backed the money for the knives at least to some extent from their own pocket.
Totally agree, Ed. Last years 'pay up front' is the way to go and took some burden off of the dealer handling it. It is just too much to ask someone to lay out tens of thousands of dollars and not get a return. On top of all the other work involved.

Seems most of the suggestions are large to medium sized knives. Just going to toss this out there, but what about something small like #09, #33, or something similar to a peanut?

33 Conductor would be an excellent host from my POV as would the White Owl 68 with SPEAR master :cool:

GEC have several patterns I'd be up for which I already have: 33, 57, 68, 71, 92 But the problem is persuading GEC to accommodate them into their existing production schedule, not easy I suspect. They don't revive patterns so much, and may have production arrangements already pencilled in.

A 71 Sodbuster style knife in a unique Micarta or Burlap would be a hardy and attractive work-knife and the Forum has not had this type before surprisingly enough. Why not a unique 73 for that matter? An iconic GEC pattern, where it all began.

Others have called for a big knife, makes a change yes but could limit carry. I would like a new blade shape though, perhaps a Halfhawk type which GEC has had on 56 and the Viper pattern too I think. Drop-Point needs attention, hence the Sodbuster or 73 idea.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back