2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

knarfeng

senex morosus moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
FIRST: Much thanks to Mike (knifeswapper) and Steve (skblades). They have both put in a lot of work to find this year’s forum knife candidates. Personally, I may have to flip a three sided coin to figure out which I vote for.

SECOND: A reminder of the overall process
This year will be much like last year for the overall process. A lot of hard work is going into this with no profit in it for anyone except maybe the knife manufacturer. We don’t want to set this up just so a flipper can come along and turn a fat profit on the backs of others. So this is a “members only” set up.

Who can buy: Any BladeForums member in good standing. That would be one who has been a member for at least 3 months prior to this post and has 30 posts on BF spread over at least that amount of time. (Note: if the posts are all, "nice knife" or similar, they don't count.) The posts need not be in Traditional. They can be in any of the discussion forums. But if they are all in the exchange, then that’s not what we are looking for, either. If you are missing a bit on the qualifying parameters, you can contact knarfeng knarfeng or @Peregrin and ask for a waiver. We gave a lot of them last year.

One caveat for our foreign members, Mike can’t ship overseas. So if he ends up being our vendor, something will have to be worked out. We don’t have an answer to that issue at this time.

Once the knife is dialed in, there will be an order thread. You enter your name on it if you want to buy a knife. Gary and I will record the user names and confirm eligibility. Our vendor will have access to that list. We’ll send each person on the list a link to a page on the vendor’s web site. The page won’t be visible from the vendor’s store front. You must use the link. You can buy one knife or two. The order blank will have a place for your BF user name. You will need to fill that in. Orders will only be accepted from folks on the approved list.

Payment will be due at time of placing your order. Once the ordering thread is closed, our vendor places the order for exactly that many knives. The knives get made and shipped to us when finished. If there are any quality issues with the knife, it will be between the buyer and the manufacturer. Because we are all paying up front and are buying exactly that number of knives, our vendor won’t have any extras.

NOW
The first poll.

The first poll this year is to choose the basic knife pattern. Once the basic pattern is chosen, subsequent poles will work out the fine points on that choice. This poll will be open for 7 days. If you hate all the choices and will just not be buying a forum knife this year, please don't vote.

The choices are:
♦ A GEC 86 with a single Sheepsfoot blade in 1095.
This 86 configuration would be exclusive to the BladeForums 2019 knife. Covers, shield, and bolsters to be determined in future polls. Image from Collector Knives, 2/15/19
l854avQ.jpg

♦ A single blade slipjoint from Fox Knives in Italy based on their model 521.
Blade steel and covers to be determined in future poles. I think the blade steel is limited to stainless. The blade length is 3.3 inches and the closed length is 4.4 inches. As shown in the picture, it weighs 3.3 ounces. The blade thickness at the tang is 0.1 inch. (I'm giving more description on this because this one is a bit hard to find on the web.)
rvsC4RY.jpg

♦ A Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade. This has a 4 1/4 inch blade.
Blade Steel, Handle Material, Guard, Butt, Spacers, and Sheath are options to be determined in future poles if this is chosen.
upload_2019-2-13_21-10-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-13_20-45-34.png
    upload_2019-2-13_20-45-34.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 502
Last edited by a moderator:
knarfeng knarfeng - I'm not seeing the pic for "A single blade slipjoint from Fox Knives", just the IMG icon.
Thanks,
OG
Later, thank you for fixing the pic :thumbsup:

Last edited:
rut roh.
I had problems posting the pictures. Let me see what I can do about that.
OK now?

Last edited:
I can see it after refreshing the page. :)
My vote for the Buck is cast. :)

Last edited:
My vote is cast! That #86 seems real nice...:cool: I am excited to watch this thread for the next 7 days. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all that are involved in making this happen! It can't be said enough.

Like 'em all. My wife, daughter, and I each prefer a different one!
Saving my money.

Counting down my order of preference:

3) Where I live, you can't carry a blade longer than 3" in your pocket. Since I like to pocket folders, that nixes Fox Knives for me.
2) At 3.88" closed the GEC 86 is bigger than I want a single blade slippy to be.
1) Which I guess leaves me voting for the Buck Vanguard. I'm a little short on fixed blade knives anyway, and this one could fill that niche.

Thank you to everyone making this happen! That 86 is speaking to me; two of my favorite traditional blade shapes in a nice size package.

Thank you to everyone making this happen! That 86 is speaking to me; two of my favorite traditional blade shapes in a nice size package.

Hey you saw it will be a single sheepsfoot blade right?

Personally that is something I would enthusiastically support! I had a single-sheepsfoot 15 that I really liked (and modded and then liked even more) but it was just a tad too small so I ended up selling it. But the extra .4" of handle length in the 86 would really make a difference!

Thanks to all those who potentially make this possible!

Last edited:
Hard to say no to a sheepsfoot in 1095, but a customizable Buck Vanguard and the idea of having sheath options is intriguing.

What were some of the past sheath options?

Thanks again to everyone involved. Very cool.

I favour the Buck.

Why? It's a fixed/sheath knife which has never been a FK knife before, Buck make first rate fixed blades and this seems a golden opportunity for something different.

I'd like the Fox more if it were a smaller and lighter pattern, too massive for my pocket. I'm overseas but I'm sure if the Fox is chosen, something can be arranged for the shipping, not a problem at all.

The GEC is OK but I don't really find enthusiasm for a single blade Sheepfoot on quite a large pattern. If it were Spear, I'd certainly vote for it, we have not had a single-blade Spear before as an FK whereas a single Sheepfoot appeared in 2017. I realize pictures of the model itself cannot be shown (at this stage) but I suspect a lot of people in their enthusiasm will vote GEC because they think they're getting a 2 blade knife.....:confused:

All good choices and all different from each other which is always welcome :thumbsup:

I’ll go the Vanguard maybe we can get a crowned antler handle that’d be sweet would prefer it in amber stag. Really not interested in 86 or the fox folder. The 86 is just boring and I don’t like a lot of those type of patterns more of a Trapper and Stockmen guy.
546BBBE5-AAA0-469B-9795-7D17A0008AD8.jpeg

Nice to see a GEC offered up. I like the looks of the 86 with clip and sheepsfoot in a good edc size for me (I’ll probably get a couple in Northfield trim when they are released).... however, I am not in for a single sheepsfoot, just not my thing.
I voted for the Buck Vanguard. That is a sweet and useful looking fixed blade right there, and lots of options!
Regardless of the outcome of this poll I will enjoy following the process (even if I bow out of the voting) and I am grateful to those fine members of this great forum that are volunteering their time and effort. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back