1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knarfeng, Feb 14, 2019.

1. GEC 86

212 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Fox knives 521

33 vote(s)
    8.1%
  3. Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

160 vote(s)
    39.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    r8shell said:
    Has there ever been a Bladeforums Buck Forum knife? Maybe that there mafia should look into having one made.

"Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!"

sunnyd, PirateSeulb and mykel m like this.
  2. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Probably could order that now from the custom shop?

3. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Nice choices all around.

I have no need for a fixed blade knife outside of the kitchen. However, I have no need for ANOTHER folding knife of any kind. So that's a moot point.

The GEC 86 looks like a 77 that is 1/8" longer. Still a very nice pattern, but if I were going to buy one, I'd want one with the blade combo in the drawing - a clip plus long coping. A single blade sheepfoot has never appealed to me that much.

Sooo... I voted for the Buck Vanguard. I have always loved the look of Buck's fixed blade hunting knives, and that Vanguard is especially pretty. I'd like to have one just to wear around the yard. :)

192 is not offered in the custom shop. 119 is.

4. dpowers311

dpowers311

Jan 23, 2014
    Like all of them, think it will be the 86 end the end. I picked the vanguard fixed blade is a nice change.

5. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Some (@mykel m , @Ice Tigre, @Pàdruig ) have asked about Fox, are they new, etc...
    Fox Knives began in the 1970s in the Italian city of Maniago where the best knife makers in that country reside.

Maniago is Germany's Solingen, Japan's Seki City, France's Thiers

Lionsteel, Maserin and Viper are also based in Maniago, Italy

Fox Knives have a good reputation, they are better than average, they use top-notch materials and have higher tolerances than say a Buck folder would. I own a Lionsteel a Maserin and a Viper knife, all from Maniago, Italy, and they are all exceptional. I'm sure @knifeswapper can attest to the products from Maniago, and if you've never had a European knife (other than Sheffield), I urge you to think about taking the leap. Thanks

I am finding it hard to vote when we don't know what handle options will be. This goes for GEC, Buck and Fox.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    jux t, zolthar, abbydaddy and 5 others like this.
  6. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you very much for the info. I have a few Lion Steel knives and I find them to be rather exceptional so if Fox is comparable, it could certainly be worth considering. I guess my biggest concern is that I have absolutely no idea how much flexibility we have in terms of material and feature choices.

Pinemoon likes this.
  7. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I think last year can be a good indicator of some Buck options and we have seen so many options on GECs over the years we can expect a solid variety the real unknown is Fox but the handles I have seen from Viper, Maserin, and LionSteel have all been top notch so I would have some similar expectations and all 4 italian companies have a colabrotive project which you honestly can't tell which maker made which outside of some select distinct traits or names.

tmd_87 and Pinemoon like this.
  8. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I think going forward it should be a rule that if you vote, you are required to purchase the winning knife.... :D

9. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Since there are two separate dealers for the two top choices (at the moment tied!), why not just split the difference and have two forum knives from two representatives ;-)

Travman, marcus52AR, Buzzbait and 2 others like this.
  10. jc57

jc57 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2012
    You think the fights are brutal NOW, just think what it would be like if losing meant you were forced to buy a knife you didn't like. Marvelous idea!

sunnyd and Pomsbz like this.
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I wish that were possible. I really do!!!

meako and redcanoe like this.
  12. TX180SX

TX180SX Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Fixed blade was my vote. That's a good looking Buck!

sunnyd likes this.
  13. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    That's not quite true. Yes, Traditional has had an annual knife for many years, but Spark had a BF knife done a few years back, and the Custom Forum has had (at least) one (in 2012).

14. N.E.Tim

N.E.Tim Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I voted for the 86. I think it would be a handy sized, versatile cutting tool.
    The options of the scale material would also look great.

Travman and tmd_87 like this.
  15. redcanoe

redcanoe Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2012
    I am wondering if a longer than standard blade might be an option if the Buck wins this poll I just think that would make it something special that you could not go and buy at the local sporting goods store as much as I enjoy GEC knives I don’t want another Sheepfoot bladed knife

pjsjr likes this.
  16. Why Waltz

Why Waltz

Sep 5, 2013
    My vote went to the Buck Vanguard.

We’ve never had a fixed blade and there will be plenty of options to vote on which is always the fun part. After all, this Forum is called “Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades”. Plus, it will look good with a nice big Bladeforums stamp and a single dot.

Single sheepsfoot TC Barlow was done a few years ago and the Fox is too similar to a Buck 110.

sunnyd, gaj999 and MerryMadMonk like this.
  17. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I appreciate the additional knowledge, I figured there were details that I was unaware of.

That said, when the Traditionals forum knife has been referred to as strictly the "Traditionals Forum Knife", there have been corrections made, stating that it is a BladeForums Forum knife that just happens to be hosted by the Traditionals Forum. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference since we are really just talking semantics here but my comments were strictly pertaining to the forum knives hosted by the Traditionals Forum in the last 10(ish) years.

tmd_87 likes this.
  18. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Sadly, the Buck 192 Vanguard is not available in the custom shop. And most of the options I mentioned are not available except on special runs.

sunnyd, skblades and tmd_87 like this.
  19. fatboy148

fatboy148

Oct 3, 2007
    When I just voted...

I broke the tie from 99 all to 99 - 100 BUCK!

Call it!

JTB_5 likes this.
  20. rockgolfer

rockgolfer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2008
    All great options for sure! When I pictured in my mind the possibility of an 86 with a long pull sheepsfoot, rat tail bolster, bare headed with some African black wood covers. Well, I couldnt bring myself to vote any other way :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.