2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been mentioned a time or 2 already -- we've had a single blade sheepsfoot a time or 2 already.
Fox has some nice patterns and the 521 has an incredible price point - but I'm not a fan of that particular blade shape.
the 524 blade on that handle would be pretty nice, though -- but since that wasn't an option, I guess I'll need to vote for a vanguard.

I appreciate the additional knowledge, I figured there were details that I was unaware of.

That said, when the Traditionals forum knife has been referred to as strictly the "Traditionals Forum Knife", there have been corrections made, stating that it is a BladeForums Forum knife that just happens to be hosted by the Traditionals Forum. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference since we are really just talking semantics here but my comments were strictly pertaining to the forum knives hosted by the Traditionals Forum in the last 10(ish) years.

Anyone from any discussion forum can come to Traditional to vote for the Blade Forums Annual Knife. The subject title of this thread "Traditional Forum Knife" effectively eliminates modern knives from being nominated or considered. At least that's my .02¢. All Blade Forums members are allowed to vote as long as they meet Frank's requirements.

Hmmmmmmm - nobody said no one couldn't pay Buck Forum members for their vote if they came over here to vote the Buck option. Just kidding, just kidding.:rolleyes:

Anyone from any discussion forum can come to Traditional to vote for the Blade Forums Annual Knife. The subject title of this thread "Traditional Forum Knife" effectively eliminates modern knives from being nominated or considered. At least that's my .02¢. All Blade Forums members are allowed to vote as long as they meet Frank's requirements.

That is my understanding of it too, Ed. I wasn't trying to make a claim or state a desire of anything otherwise, though I do feel the point I was trying to make is getting lost in the language.

Read through the posts. Here are my comments...

My understanding of why GEC is offering us the single sheepsfoot is that they are offering us a blade configuration that they will not sell to anyone else on an 86 frame. You can try to get something different with some odd cover, but if you want something truly unique, you have to go to the heart of any knife, and that's the blade configuration.

It is my understanding that Fox is willing to make that knife in Bohler M390 or Bohler N690 among other alloy choices. Those are two very special alloys. I know Traditional is not a blade alloy bunch, but it is something to consider. It's something high end and something unique.

It's been said that you could go to the Buck web site and just order the knife we would get. Not true. The Buck Custom shop does not offer customized 192's. You can go to a dealer and get an upgraded alloy and maybe a different handle material, but working through Steve we can get our choice of a half a dozen different alloys and a couple of dozen handle and fittings combinations.

I haven't voted yet. Think I'm up to "best 17 out of 33."

I am a fan of M390 steel and feel it is a terrific choice for a pocket knife.

Am I correct in assuming that Mike would potentially be the go between with Fox? If so, it would be helpful to know what sort of options would be available in terms of covers and such. I don't now if that is even possible but it could go a long way in helping folks make a more informed decision.

We know GEC and we know Buck. Fox is a bit of an unknown aside from the little that has been discussed in this thread.

The Fox option in M390 and Ram's Horn for instance would be a pretty awesome knife.

Boy, you step away from the forums for a day and all of a sudden you have 11 pages of forum knife discussion to get through!

I am holding back on voting until I am caught up on the thread, mostly because none of the options really speak to me. I'm going to be in no matter what, but all three option fall squarely in the "don't need" category for me.

I never really have a need for carbon steel single blade sheepsfoots, because they are just going to sit in the tube for me anyway. Of course I'm not really fond of carbon steel in general, and I am ambivalent at best about that handle shape, so the fact that it would be yet another sheepsfoot for my collection is kind of moot. That said, a clip point would excite me much more. That won't stop me from buying one. I can rely on good quality, nice appearance, and that special Porch emotional connection from any forum knife GEC.

The Fox knives option does nothing for me. Nothing beyond being a totally unknown quality. It would be fun to have an Italian forum knife, but the pattern leaves me cold.

And then there is the Vanguard. I really have all the fixed blades I can imagine ever needing. But I do like fixed blades. I enjoy the flexibility and breadth of options Buck offers. The Vanguard is really not the Buck fixed blade I would have picked for a forum knife, but SKblades and Buck impressed me last time around. Maybe it is kind of hypocritical since I am fine with the idea of buying another GEC that I will never use, but somehow the thought of buying a Vanguard that I won't use bugs me. Maybe because the Vanguard seems like a solid practical knife that will likely come in handsome and useful materials, but I have a rotation of very fine fixed blades that I already don't use enough.

You know, after writing all that out, I think I just talked myself into the Buck. I'm gonna vote and read the rest of the conversation.

A fixed blade is gonna single out a ton of members because of laws and ease of carry.

That has certainly been brought up in past conversations and definitely a legitimate cause for concern. However, folks have to be mindful of their own laws and it is their decision on how they want to act.

On a different note, I recognize that on a personal level that my collection is at a point where I do not NEED any particular knife. None of the options in the poll fill any sort of vacant niche for me and whichever one is chosen will simply get bought and will end up in some sort of rotation, even if that rotation just entails taking it out for pictures now and then.

I like knives. I like knives of all styles, steels, configurations, and manufacturers and regardless of the outcome of this polling, I will be purchasing at least one. As much as I feel that there are underlying shenanigans, in the end, I am going to end up with a forum knife and I can only hope that it is a worthy addition to the lineage of previous forum knives.

I like the 86, but have not been a member for three months. I know the amount of work that goes into a project like this and appreciate all of the effort put forth. If waivers are available I would definitely purchase the 86.

Mike

All great options for sure! When I pictured in my mind the possibility of an 86 with a long pull sheepsfoot, rat tail bolster, bare headed with some African black wood covers. Well, I couldnt bring myself to vote any other way :D

Well, that's an enticing prospect (if the Sheepfoot is replaced by fat Spear Longpull:D;)) but, do you think we'll get all that for a 100? I doubt that....:rolleyes:

Couple of other thoughts:

I don't know why some people have been muttering (likely in jest) about the Traditional Forum being swamped by Buck enthusiasts or other 'outsiders' it's open to all people, otherwise we would end up with a stagnant little pond of 10 contributors...;):rolleyes: The title of the sub forum IS 'Traditional Folders & Fixed Blades' Fixed blades which have yet to be represented as a Forum Knife, Buck is offering one, so Buck enthusiasts and those who want a fixed blade at last will opt for it. Personally, I would've liked a Hess Trout & Bird as a small fixed but obviously it wasn't viable.

The 86 Heavy is aimed at being a 'special' but I think it is an error to impose a Sheepfoot as the blade with no option to vote on it. It's potentially too divisive, it was only two years ago that then GEC Forum Knife had a single Sheepfoot. If GEC gave the option of choosing the blade: Clip, Spear, Sheepfoot, Drop-point that makes it 'special' for those who are going to buy it surely?? If they said it would have a unique shield and would say be the only 86 as Barehead that may ensure that it became massively endorsed. I know they will not give the option of 1095 or 440c or tool steel so it's going to be no choice in the blade steel anyway, so let them make it a bit more tempting in other aspects :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back