2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Choosing the annual 'Traditional' Forum Knife, and the process in doing so, is something I enjoy less and less. Rather than being a celebration of this sub-forum, it seems to reflect poorly on it in my opinion. Not that those who don't normally post here would care about that.

I have no interest at all in the Fox knife.

The Buck Vanguard is a classic pattern, and we've never had a fixed-blade knife, but I imagine it will only be available in stainless steel, and we had a stainless knife last year.

The GEC offering is poorly presented, hopefully we can get an idea what it might actually look like at some point. Much as I like straight-edged blades, I think the point about an over-abundance of Sheepsfoot blades is a valid one. GEC would need to come up with something pretty special to make it stand out, and I'm not sure the straight frame of their #86 pattern will allow for that.

Currently, steel aside, I'd be inclined towards the Vanguard. The only thing that puts me off is the post in the Buck forum someone linked to. There was a similar post last year, and that kind of behaviour leaves a very bad smell in my opinion.

I vote to have more voting. The best chance for that is with the Buck option. :D

Looking at some of the amazing images in the recent #85 thread makes me think the GEC option would be far more interesting if, say, smooth stag was on offer. That stuff looks incredible, those 85s would have to rank among GECs best ever work.

The lack of info on the handle material really does make the choice hard.

Voted for the Buck as I have never had a Vanguard. Interested in how this knife works out as a final product. I will likely buy whichever one is chosen in the end.

Thanks to all involved in this project. Just reading thru all of the posts before voting to see all opinions, let me say whichever choice the group decides will be fine knife. Both Mike at CK and Steve at SK are great to work with. Either will represent the group well.
In my opinion the Fox looks the best but would be more of a carry in a belt sheath knife based on it size for me. The GEC would be a great choice if another blade shape was offered. The idea of a fixed blade is a interesting choice and Buck does those as well as anyone. I do wish the fixed blade pattern was a kephart style as that is about as old school as you can get. I did vote for the fixed blade option as that was the most appealing to me.
Hope everyone has a great weekend. It is maple syrup season here in the Midwest.

Since we don't have a more accurate "official" visual representation, here's an approximation of what the #86 would look like with a full-size, single sheepsfoot.

fqIfxcb.jpg

Can we have a poll to change from Heavy Sheep (before we start talking with kiwi iksunts)... drat....
Eagles Beak
Cougar Claw
Snaggle Puss
Wolfs Foot.
Badger Paw
Orca Fang

anything but heavy sheep...
It is a deplorable title and does the knife no justice.
Im not against it and it has my full support as a buyer but most importantly as a true Porchenberger.
I just hate that name.

Can we have a poll to change from Heavy Sheep (before we start talking with kiwi iksunts)... drat....
Eagles Beak
Cougar Claw
Snaggle Puss
Wolfs Foot.
Badger Paw
Orca Fang

Im not against it and it has my full support as a buyer but most importantly as a true Porchenberger.
I just hate that name.

I've never actually lifted a sheep before. But from a layman's point of view, they kind of look like they're all fluff. Nothing heavy about them.

Frank, Gary, Mike and Stephan, many thanks for undertaking this project. Your dedication to this project is commendable and I thank you.

Oh, I should mention that one of Buck's dealers is offering the 192 in 5160 BOS steel so that might be on the table for an option.

Did someone mention Rams Horn?? One of my favorite materials!
Here's a 192 Vanguard with Rammy...
002.JPG

001.JPG

they kind of look like they're all fluff. Nothing heavy about them.
I have met a few sheep in my life. They are stout, energetic, powerful animals. I wouldn't want to try lifting anything other than a young lamb.

Eagles Beak
Cougar Claw
Snaggle Puss
Wolfs Foot.
Badger Paw
Orca Fang

I just hate that name.

How about...

Hëavy Shëëp

That'll turn it up to an 11
\m/:D\m/

The Fox option in M390 and Ram's Horn for instance would be a pretty awesome knife.
Yes, it surely would :thumbsup:
And probably for a good price, a deal. The Fox is probably the most unique of the three.

That said, after thinking things through, I can't help think that all three choices feel like odd-balls to me. The 86 blade is a definite ho-hum, not an exciting or unique offering. The Fox is a bit too large, and the same with the Buck. A shorter fixed blade might have more appeal, especially to those in countries with laws where the Vanguard might as well be a machete.

Anyway, not looking to whine, just building on what others have shared here. Just seems like 3 odd-balls.
Gonna hold my vote for a bit.

Sincere appreciation again to all involved. I'm sure this is not an easy thing to pull off and is likely determining our choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back