2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
But I thought the whole point about the 86 BF version was that it was intended to be a single to differentiate it from the 2 blade standard Jack run? Special..

As a reminder, The Forum Knives' Sheepfoot tally: 2008 secondary, 2013 Sheepfoot Master, Pen secondary, 2015, Sheepfoot secondary, 2017 Sheepfoot single, 2018 Sheepfoot secondary.

Looks like we need a Sheep Station by now @meako ? :rolleyes:o_O

We could do with a single SPEAR that's NEVER been done!

I could go for a thick, heavy, Spear Blade with a nice swedge.

I hope nothing is set in stone. If so, what's the point of polls.

So could I, I hope there WILL be a blade choice poll from GEC but something tells me not....

The preamble in the options list says, covers, bolsters,shield to be polled no blade choice, that's why I don't have any feeling for the GEC offering.

Hey I'd be fine with either, as GECs spear with long pull, cut swedge, satin finish is my FAVORITE blade. Period. But I was under the assumption we were going with the sheepsfoot because the normal production run of #86s was going to be with spear/clip blades. If that's the case, I say bring on the big sheepsfoot.

I would honestly be happy with the 86 or the vanguard but the 86 with ebony scales and the badge shield (the one used on the recent white bone Pembertons) would be nice.

A Saber Ground blade, in my experience, is not a good slicer. They look pretty but don't slice cleanly. Open up a can of Spam and try to slice a nice even, narrow, piece off and watch the disappointment in the eyes of everyone around you when they realize they're going to have to make a sandwich with wavy, uneven, pieces of Spam. Oh the agony of it.

Now, a flat ground blade makes a wonderful slicer. Maybe we ought to forget saber ground and go with flat ground like these knives.

Gc1s9Yj.jpg

A Swedge as seen on the Case knives would be icing on the cake.

If we went this route, I could change my vote from Buck to GEC.
Looking like GEC doesn't really need the votes.
At least not right now.

Hey I'd be fine with either, as GECs spear with long pull, cut swedge, satin finish is my FAVORITE blade. Period. But I was under the assumption we were going with the sheepsfoot because the normal production run of #86s was going to be with spear/clip blades. If that's the case, I say bring on the big sheepsfoot.

Your assumption is correct. I've said it several times in this thread. The single sheepsfoot blade was offered to us by GEC as a unique production run. They won't make it for anyone else.

Your assumption is correct. I've said it several times in this thread. The single sheepsfoot blade was offered to us by GEC as a unique production run. They won't make it for anyone else.
Well I think that's pretty neat of GEC to do, offering to go to the trouble of grinding out blades specifically for us, and only us. I think we'd be silly not to take advantage of that offer.

All single sheepsfeet, or just the saber ground sheepsfoot?
I can see them doing a ffg version down the road if the single blade saber grind is the only qualifier for our knife.

I can see them doing a ffg version down the road if the single blade saber grind is the only qualifier for our knife.
True, but one thing to consider, with GECs trend over the past few years of building larger quantities of fewer patterns, that might be 5, 6, or 7 years down the road.

They probably will do a standard sheepsfoot version down the road. That’s what makes me excited about the saber grind.

The saber grind might not be perfect for every task, but I’d bet my hat that everyone here has multiple knives. If you needed every knife to be perfectly suited for your exact EDC chores, you’d only have one knife, or multiples of that knife.

I've been waffling since Wednesday, when the poll opened. I finally voted Buck, for one good reason and one not-good reason. The not-good reason was that GEC did the forum knife five of the past nine years. Of course, it's reasonable that they would have since they are definitely traditional.

Full disclosure: I wasn't around for the first eight years of these, and I don't even own a GEC (yet), so I can't have the full appreciation for the workmanship or fit and finish.

Why the Buck then? Primarily for the collection my young son and I are building together, the start of which was a group of old family knives that my dad gave him. We've got a ton of slipjoints, but only three fixed blades. Of course, with the way the vote is going, we'll add a beautiful custom GEC in my preferred carbon steel this fall, assuming I can get a waiver, since I only had 28 posts in the year prior to the poll opening.

Last edited:
Nice sentiments certainly, and welcome to our community, but why wait for this big ol’ sucker of a knife before you pounce? There are a heap of tasty little patterns around that I would recommend, that would make you and your son’s first GEC a special one.

Edit I see you have only 35 posts but have received 344 likes! I’d say you are doing pretty well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
As for Saber Ground, with enough knives to start a small shop, and enough that get used, I dare say that I would(will) buy it for its’ beauty. Especially the gorgeous way that I am confident this unique 86 will turn out. My fantasy? Rat tail bolster, Bomb or Federal shield on black Ebony, bare head, and no etch on the blade. Simple BladeForums on the tang.

Think it is all, but I'll have to ask Mike to get a confirmed answer.

I've never had Bill promise to never again make a blade/frame combination just because I was contracting one - thus I don't expect to get that promise this time. But I am certain he won't put it right back on the schedule. This run will be for BF, if so voted.

I've never had Bill promise to never again make a blade/frame combination just because I was contracting one - thus I don't expect to get that promise this time. But I am certain he won't put it right back on the schedule. This run will be for BF, if so voted.
Thanks for the clarification Mike.

I wish there was a way to prevent people with under a certain post count or who have only been here for a short time from voting... Sorry if that's an unpopular opinion.

Considering there are already almost 350 votes on this, I think there are a rather high number of people voting on this who have zero intention of purchasing one regardless of who makes it.

I wish there was a way to prevent people with under a certain post count or who have only been here for a short time from voting... Sorry if that's an unpopular opinion.

Considering there are already almost 350 votes on this, I think there are a rather high number of people voting on this who have zero intention of purchasing one regardless of who makes it.
There is a 3 month 30 post restriction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back