2019 Traditional Forum Knife...The First Poll

Which pattern will be the basis for the 2019 Traditional Forum Knife (see post for details)

• GEC 86

Votes: 212 52.3%
  • Fox knives 521

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • Buck 192 (Vanguard) fixed blade

Votes: 160 39.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you are really just guessing as to the performance 'hit'?:D:D:D< that means tongue in cheek.:)

Nope. I've owned a lot of knives over the years. I use all of them and I've gotten picky. I don't even bother buying saber ground knives any more, no matter how cool they look. I learned that lesson before I ever heard of Northwoods. Sounds like this blade(as currently defined) will have the same grind but start out with thicker stock. I have zero interest in a pretty paperweight. I've gone paperless. :D

If GEC #86 ends up winning out, is the sheepsfoot blade in 1095 the only certain part of the knife? I saw a post where someone alluded to GEC maybe doing a run of lambsfoot knives in the not too distant future. Is there a possibility the sheepsfoot gets replaced by the lambsfoot? Please excuse my ignorance. I have never really followed the BladeForums annual knife offerings.

It's becoming obvious to me that we're getting a sheep offering (and weird grind) simply because it's an odd-ball, not because people will storm the gates for it.
Yup, it sure seems that way.

The Northwoods seem to be very popular, the grinds sure look similar.
Yes but Northwoods hasn't done a saber ground sheepsfoot main, (or did I miss it?) and like to think they have better sense since it isn't a traditionally found grind on straight edged main blades.

Well, it's going to be the GEC Heavy Breather then;). I wonder if 500 will be made like for the 2017 Sheepfoot? I suspect not.... As for Northwoods, well they're very expensive and very sought after but as collector/profit items rather than EDC for the most part. The sabre rules out my interest in them as well:D Some time back I used a small Puukko to try & break down a box or two, with its scandi grind not much good at all, kept getting stuck whereas the GEC 15 managed the task admirably. Plus it will slice a tomato and cut an apple without splitting it....:rolleyes:;)

I'm with you.:cool:

I thought the main 'purpose' of a Sheepfoot blade was that, you can't stab yourself with it, good for 'rescue' situations, it is easy to sharpen, slices well and gives good whittling possibilities, draw cuts etc. ??

Whereas sabre ground blades offer strength, stabbing potential... poor at whittling, good for chopping situations/slashing- acts like a top maul or hatchet.

Seems like it rather negates the Sheepfoot concept? But, it may look good so this is going to be an exhibition knife then? Just try slicing tomato, apples, salami with it or carving?:eek::rolleyes::D then there's cuttin' a plug...;)

The point about Ebony being a near cert for the other runs in this model is valid too. What is still unclear is whether GEC are going to do all the runs in 2 blade Jacks or will there be other singles as well?? This is significant.
Some good points, I think, about the sabre grind. Whatever it ends up being, I plan to buy one and use it, but not for food, generally. I have plenty of kitchen knives, and use a chef's knife for most kitchen duty.
I am enjoying the discussion, though.

Fox are known for tactical offerings. They contract with law enforcement and military worldwide. If you visit their site don't expect too many traditional offerings. That said, they do make excellent knives.
Looks like their site is 99% or more modern "tactical" stuff. Glad GEC is ahead at the moment. Only have two GECs at the moment, but they are two of my best.

Those Fox knives are very good looking.

The Pelican looks sweet!
I suppose I can understand the appeal. The Pelican does not appeal to me. I am glad that there are so many different kinds of knives available today, and I really like the repeal of some silly restrictions on knife carry in Texas and maybe other states too. But I don't think Fox Knives has much to offer traditional knife enthusiasts, whereas GEC does. More than Buck, too (and I love Buck: bought a 119 yesterday).

that #97 is based on a traditional pattern that was a sabre. General Custer’s hunting knife. There are a few threads about the older one and more recent copies of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back