2020 GEC #19 Little Rattler Thread

It's nice on the outside looking in... No more scrambles for me.
Bring on some #56s, #66s, or #76s and I might be willing to fight for some. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see these easy to grab on dealer websites. It seems the smaller knives or 23/97 sized knives tend to be easier to score on regular drops. I think the early reserves went quick because this was the first chance to secure one. Also Mike has a nice early reserve system in place that im guessing more and more people are beginning to make use of. So just be diligent and I'm sure you'll be able to snag one when they drop.
I hope you’re right, I was really excited to see this pattern, I like smaller knives and I love wharncliffe blades!

I decided to roll the dice - I went ahead and threw my name in the hat for the entire run. The mystery ones are likely wood or maybe even some acrylic (wood always looks nice - acrylic, not so much).

The only one I hesitated on was the micarta. I usually don't like micarta but I've seen some past runs that had interesting micarta outside of the standard OD, red, black, natural - so I figured it wouldn't hurt to check out the new stuff - maybe they will put a cool shield on it.

Yeah me too. I just happened to be looking at my phone I saw the notification. I said I was out on these, but impulse hit me. Although, I am on standby for the smooth bone and mystery Northfields. I think I did that on purpose in case I end up not getting them since they went to red standby the fastest.

I mean, I've been waiting for weeks for reserve announcements and I still miss it. These scrambles are nuts!

I was away from my phone cooking supper for the wife...... When I got back to my phone it was over........ I'm skunked again!!

I managed to snag a couple as I am a Wharnecliff fan and like smaller knives as pocketknives.

Why do people assume it's over after the CK early reserve is filled?
I get that it's the easiest way to reserve one, but other dealers will drop knives too.

Every new pattern comes out it's like the gloom/despair song from Hee-Haw. There will be scheduled drops, random drops, drops a month after everyone else for 30% more, etc. etc....
Pick your poison.

In hindsight, I feel kind of bad about declaring my success - I honestly thought there was a good bit of time to secure one or more and I also didn't think these were going to be that particularly popular.

I also feel a bit bad for Mike - his Early Reserve system seems to have become the weathervane when it comes to determining demand and popularity. I recall the single blade Pembertons (wharnie blade) being available with dealers after the fact so either this is yet another short run or the demand for anything GEC has reached a particularly frenzied point.

Don't feel bad; congratulations! You've won the opportunity to lay down a healthy hunk of wallet fat. :D:thumbsup:

Technically speaking, Mike's early reserve system isn't as good of an indicator of popularity as we think, because only Mike knows the numbers he capped the reserves at. Judging actual demand is very difficult when it comes to (what is essentially) a non-parishable, (dare I say!) non-essential (for life sustainment!) goods. It's very hard to extrapolate based on small sample sizes anyway, regardless of limited knowledge of the buyer base.

They're all liars :D That's the game they play on the porch.
(Sadly) It's like passing on a 1oz gold coin for $1000 because you don't like the design.

People change their minds, right? That's pretty normal, especially concerning luxury items.
Not all knives are designed or created equal; that gold coin might only be gold in color.

Why do people assume it's over after the CK early reserve is filled?
I get that it's the easiest way to reserve one, but other dealers will drop knives too.

I think it's a result of a discouraging first try. The more we anticipate something we want, the harder it gets when we're stymied. I get it- I'm subject to similar feelings myself.

Ugh.
If I never heard the words "lolly scramble" or "flipper" again I'd be a happy man.
unfortunately both of those words refer to real phenomena- like a sun rises and sets. Until GEC's are assigned at random and the penalty of resale is death, we'll just have to be as happy as we possibly can.

If it weren't for bad luck... :D
The younger guys are all asking themselves, "What's Hee-Haw"?
But she met another and :p... she was gone.
That was one of those shows that was so corny/stupid, it was funny... we watched it religiously. Hey Grandpa, what's for SUPPER?

Back to the 19's.... I wouldn't mind having ONE of them, just because they are cute.
I have "people"... I might reach out and see if I can get one allocated my direction... :cool:

People change their minds, right?

Maybe they do. I've seen people expound right here about how silly something is and they are not interested and then reserve one within hours. But I don't see into their thoughts; maybe they just had some type of collector epiphany; or maybe it was all a charade. Makes no difference to me - but, as in politics, I don't give nearly as much credibility to words as I do actions.

Plain and simple... Fear Of Missing Out. :D
They just know one of us is going to post a beautiful picture and talk about the high quality of the knife. ;)

Truth be told, a good knife company doesn't really need to do much marketing these days - social media and forums do it all for them. Instagram alone is likely responsible for quite a few knife sales across a rather broad spectrum.

But I don't see into their thoughts; maybe they just had some type of collector epiphany; or maybe it was all a charade. Makes no difference to me

If it really doesn't make any difference to you, you'd probably use different language instead of words like "charade" and "game". Just call it what it is; people are fickle and we change our minds for a whole host of reasons. We cannot accurately predict the outcome of knife sales based on comments from participants in a forum.

Plain and simple... Fear Of Missing Out. :D
They just know one of us is going to post a beautiful picture and talk about the high quality of the knife. ;)

You're not wrong, but even just consider the simple difference that opportunity changes things. "I'm not interested" can change once opportunity makes way for temptation.

And then to a more general audience:
I think the #19 in particular will be subject to more mind changing than most knives. It's small with a wharnecliffe main, which makes it somewhat limited. On the other hand it's unique, and it looks like it's going to come in some handsome covers. I'm sitting here writing to you with an #06 wharnecliffe in my watch pocket that I think is pretty nice, but it's not the knife I run to go grab off my dresser if I'm heading out the door. Would I wish I had a #19 there instead? maybe, but to me they're functionally equivalent, so I'd have a harder time justifying a #190120 in light of my not often utilized #060119. Had the knife been a #191120 or a #192120 I'd be more interested.

Back