2020 GEC #19 Little Rattler Thread

I do like my Pembertons but I also got the 2-blade versions - the added heft makes it more useful to me. I never did try out the single wharnecliffe versions so these new 19s will be a good experiment. Depending on how soon they get made, most will likely end up as stocking stuffers for my family.

T
I do like my Pembertons but I also got the 2-blade versions - the added heft makes it more useful to me. I never did try out the single wharnecliffe versions so these new 19s will be a good experiment. Depending on how soon they get made, most will likely end up as stocking stuffers for my family.
The one I reserved is for the exact same purpose, Christmas present for my wife :) She has developed an interest in knives and likes the pretty, or cute ones. I opted for the ? Tidioute version because life is like a box of Cracker Jacks LOL.

I'm actually fairly surprised at the response these have gotten. Although to be honest I wasn't following them to hard, I already snagged a 33 and that's about as small as I like to go. Maybe I'm crazy but the 33 didn't feel like they ended up being that popular, I mean they all go snatched up really quick but I rarely see people post them anymore.

I'm actually fairly surprised at the response these have gotten. Although to be honest I wasn't following them to hard, I already snagged a 33 and that's about as small as I like to go. Maybe I'm crazy but the 33 didn't feel like they ended up being that popular, I mean they all go snatched up really quick but I rarely see people post them anymore.

I think it largely comes down to what the "Flavor of the Month" is. The Conductors were only made in two different covers and though they are pretty sweet knives, they get overshadowed very quickly by the conversations surrounding the 23s, the 35s, and now the 74s and 19s.

Why do people assume it's over after the CK early reserve is filled?
I get that it's the easiest way to reserve one, but other dealers will drop knives too.
I can only speak for myself of course, but being one that expressed some disappointment at missing out on the early reserve it wasn’t because I think it’s over and I won’t get one of those knives, it’s because I can’t relax yet!

If it really doesn't make any difference to you, you'd probably use different language instead of words like "charade" and "game". Just call it what it is; people are fickle and we change our minds for a whole host of reasons. We cannot accurately predict the outcome of knife sales based on comments from participants in a forum.

Don't recall using the word "game" but I think collector epiphany and charade actually sums up the two options I feel are most likely. Either they change their minds at the last minute for any host of reasons (epiphany) or they were not being honest, in a friendly way, to begin with (charade). As I also mentioned I have seen people reserving knives with the left hand nearly at the same time the right hand is typing in their disdain for the pattern. We are definitely a fickle people and can flip/flop in our heads several times a minute (or am I the only one?).

They're all liars :D That's the game they play on the porch.

Don't recall using the word "game"

well this really isn’t relevant anymore, but I just figured it’d be good to let you know where I was getting my info.

As I also mentioned I have seen people reserving knives with the left hand nearly at the same time the right hand is typing in their disdain for the pattern. We are definitely a fickle people and can flip/flop in our heads several times a minute (or am I the only one?).

no argument here- and doubly as you’re right in the mix of frantic knife purchasing.

well this really isn’t relevant anymore, but I just figured it’d be good to let you know where I was getting my info.

Oh, gotcha. Only looked back at the last couple post made in the last day. Didn't look back to Wednesday. BTW, I don't believe everyone here is a liar either - so I might need to clarify jest further in the future as that is why I mistakenly use the smiley face. Here is the post and what it was in response to for reference. But the further genuine point in the respective post is that many times folks pick up a pattern that they do not have a genuine interest in to use as trade fodder or just generally because they know it will hold its value well. Not to label them with the "flipper" label, as it is not fitting. But you see comments all the time like "I picked up all 4 and will trade off the X I don't want", or similar. You can't really do that if they don't hold their value well. So having a nearly a guaranteed investment at DSR price helps folks to pick up an extra or two that they probably wouldn't otherwise. Thus trying to explain to the person I quoted why his interpretation of the pattern not looking popular by peoples comments and then being snapped up so quick he couldn't partake in one dealers allocation process. I guess I try and take the lazy way out many times and don't fully flesh out my thoughts.

So, to answer your original question of the words used - "game" with a :D was humor; "charade" seemed a fitting word for someone expressing a lack of interest when the interest was really there all along. It doesn't matter much to me for a couple reasons. 1) I have done everything possible to keep those with questionable intent (flippers) from buying them away from genuinely interested folks; and 2) GEC is currently so popular that I know if one person opts out - there is another willing knife lover waiting for the opportunity. This was not always the case. Actually the Early Reserve System was born out of my need to know how many to order from the factory. And when people opted out during these times it genuinely hurt my bottom line as I was carrying high five figures in GEC inventory at the time. But now it is solely for my customers as I could just drop the knives and watch them disappear within a couple minutes like most others if I wanted to take the easiest way out. I hope this helps decipher what I was trying to say.

Crystal clear, Mike- I'm really glad you took the time to explain that. I've been guilty of giving people the wrong impressions due to brevity, myself. Not to worry!

Actually the Early Reserve System was born out of my need to know how many to order from the factory. And when people opted out during these times it genuinely hurt my bottom line as I was carrying high five figures in GEC inventory at the time.

That's actually some really cool history- thanks for sharing it. The business side of knife sales is becoming more and more interesting to me; especially considering the niche market that it is. I'm not surprised your reserves evaporated on the #19- as much as I would have designed the knife slightly differently and to my tastes, I do believe there will be a lot of satisfied customers out there.

I love the CK reserve system because it provides feedback to suppliers about demand, as well as upholds some accountability. I'm never fast enough to get to use it, but I appreciate that something like that exists, for people who honestly want to commit.

for what it's worth, if I could afford to be less picky I'd be pulling a Dylan ( Pàdruig Pàdruig ). the #19 looks like a sweet little knife, and it only suffers because of the nits I must pick to dissuade myself from spending money I shouldn't. As it is I've been telling myself I'm an idiot for not committing to the upcoming ironwood 74's despite my general preference for "not drop points".

The mental gymnastics I play to justify another knife... :rolleyes:

Man, I didn't even know the CK ER for Rattlers was up! I have the telegram ap on my android phone but I never saw the notice, not that I would be fast enough anyway. My phone says it landed on the 14th at 3:03 PM, I think I was driving down the highway at that time.

Those Little Rattlers look nice, hopefully I will get lucky with one of the other GEC dealers.

Man, I didn't even know the CK ER for Rattlers was up! I have the telegram ap on my android phone but I never saw the notice, not that I would be fast enough anyway. My phone says it landed on the 14th at 3:03 PM, I think I was driving down the highway at that time.

Those Little Rattlers look nice, hopefully I will get lucky with one of the other GEC dealers.
My telegram app is active on my android and for the first time I didn’t get the notice until 4:03 also.

4:03 eastern time in Canada.

I just sat there, refreshing my phone every 30 seconds looking on as they were being taken.
Wanted it :thumbsup:, but this was not the time for it.

KmQJ2hTl.jpg

Back