2020 GEC #33 Conductor Thread

There's me thinking we should be discussing the merits of a pattern: its use, aesthetics, types of scales, perceived faults, size, build-quality etc.;) Instead, it seems to be an incessant chatter about where /when to order, when an invoice appeared,I've got one, I've missed out, dealer x will get more in. Where's the yawn smiley??:rolleyes:

Here....

iPTgF98.jpg

I have an original knife of this type, swell center pen, made by New York Knife Co. sometime before the ‘30s. I’m eager to compare to the Conductor. Seems like a nice pattern for basic everyday use. GECs version appears to have somewhat high tangs though. Which probably means the blade will have a lot of life (but may get to keep it all, because carry will be hindered if it likes to rip up pockets...) Either way can’t wait to try it out.

Ok let’s talk about this guy. I knew it was a smaller knife, but it is admittedly smaller then I thought. No half stops, extremely smooth all the way through. Walk and talk is what I would expect. I’d say the pull is a 4.5 or 5 on my example. Both blades are going to rub with any significant use, I can barely fit a piece of paper between the blades and liners, but it is what it is, doesn’t bother me to much. Overall I am very impressed. Into the pocket it will go tomorrow. The biggest A+ is that sweet, skinny, slicey, clip point. Oh la la.
FeBuAJ2.jpg

erHH0yR.jpg

FhlWj1s.jpg

lQWTp7A.jpg

There's me thinking we should be discussing the merits of a pattern: its use, aesthetics, types of scales, perceived faults, size, build-quality etc.;) Instead, it seems to be an incessant chatter about where /when to order, when an invoice appeared,I've got one, I've missed out, dealer x will get more in. Where's the yawn smiley??:rolleyes:
Considering that several dealers are just now listing them for sale, I'd say it's safe to assume most of the knives are not yet in hand so there aren't many that can talk about them other than the ordering process.

But more on the subject of the knife itself, does anyone that has one already happen to have a 62 they can show side by side? I'd love to see a size comparison with a recent similar knife.

But more on the subject of the knife itself, does anyone that has one already happen to have a 62 they can show side by side? I'd love to see a size comparison with a recent similar knife.
Gimme a minute

Considering that several dealers are just now listing them for sale, I'd say it's safe to assume most of the knives are not yet in hand so there aren't many that can talk about them other than the ordering process.
Please forgive the following if it seems like a semi-rant :)...it isn't. It's meant in the spirit of making this site better.
Looks like you perfectly made Will Power Will Power point for him. Folks don't have them so they have nothing to say except, "I'm gonna get one, Mines on it's way, Sure takes a long time to get here, Sold em really really fast, You gonna get one"... etc. Which is (for good reason) against the forum's rules in these "KNIFE'' discussion threads. I understand it's exciting whenever we have a new knife coming but it's a little hard to wade thru if one is interested in the knife itself. Thanks for your reading time. -James

I'll admit that I'm a newer poster, former lurker, but it seems that every new release thread I've seen follows this theme. People excited about the new knife, then as they arrive, more hands on posts. I fail to see how sharing our enthusiasm makes the site worse. And I certainly don't see how it's a rule violation.

The 33 is quite a bit smaller then the 62, but the clip blade is a little bit longer then the main wharnie on the 62.
BdLHmWn.jpg

kFPjMGg.jpg

What you see here is that despite its small frame, the Conductor offers a decent sized Clip master that fills the entire frame. No mean feat in a single-spring two blade knife :cool: Puts the much famed Peanut in the shade ;)

redsparrow redsparrow Thanks for that and it was hardly a rant:)

I don't want to damp down enthusiasm but multiple posts echoing each other about the ordering process are more than tedious, more patience needed:) But let's move on with this excellent Penknife style pattern and wait for more pictures and evaluations.

Anyway TOS (when people bother to read the stickies) QUOTE

We want the forum to focus upon the discussion of traditional knives...not the purchasing process, prices nor vendors and their websites.

It's a good point Will. The rules of this particular forum are pretty strict. TBH a little too strict for me most of the time. I read the community and outdoors forums a lot and post almost never.

But let's be honest, people like you and I have been at least around this forum for what 10, maybe 15 years? In that time the game changed radically. Getting one of these is the first knife purchase I have made since 2014. Judging from what I saw the ordering process has become a lot of the game now. And maybe that part of the game (which I detest) is something the younger fellows enjoy? And there doesn't seem to be a lot of critiquing of the vendors... which might have been the point of the rule for all I know.

As far as the knife itself goes here are two questions:

1) Did GEC get the pulls right on a small pen knife? If so it will be a change from their early work. They often tightened the bolsters to the point where friction overrode the springs. You almost had to push the knife shut on some of their knives.

2) Have they finally gotten away from numbering their knives on the bolsters? I have always thought this marred the knives and was gimmicy. I went back and checked my collection and I have exactly one GEC knife that has this. The other 20 or so don't. I remember someone on this forum telling me that jokingly that since the non-numbered knives were so rare I was probably getting the most collectable ones... be a good joke if it turns out that way. :)

Anyway I will compare this one to the one from the original run in 2011 and give a comparison when it arrives. Anyway, I have always enjoyed reading your posts and appreciate your perspective.

Will

Please forgive the following if it seems like a semi-rant :)...it isn't. It's meant in the spirit of making this site better.
Looks like you perfectly made Will Power Will Power point for him. Folks don't have them so they have nothing to say except, "I'm gonna get one, Mines on it's way, Sure takes a long time to get here, Sold em really really fast, You gonna get one"... etc. Which is (for good reason) against the forum's rules in these "KNIFE'' discussion threads. I understand it's exciting whenever we have a new knife coming but it's a little hard to wade thru if one is interested in the knife itself. Thanks for your reading time. -James
Good points made by both of you....
We need reminding, now and again.

I knew they were small but didn’t realize how small till the 62 comparison. I would enjoy hearing old and new 33 comparisons. As far as options, we new folk really missed the boat on this pattern compared to what was offered in 11 and even 13.

Speaking as a new guy I’m mindful of keeping the purchasing chatter to a minimum and I appreciate the polite reminders to keep us on track...but I would offer that it’s easier to say and do when you already have a bailed dog paw. The process has clearly changed for the worse and if it’s your first GEC pattern seeing what appears to be a dealers entire inventory snapped up in seconds is stressful. Good luck out there!

Back