2020 GEC #33 Conductor Thread

The 06 Pemberton is a LOT more diminutive....

Some naturally mentioned the CASE Penknife as being similar, well yes but with Delrin slabs it's thinner & the bolsters flatter than a Conductor so the GEC knife feels more meaningful in the hand. Costing more, it's also notably better constructed in not having pronounced blade cant (droop) that the CASE does. The 33 blades open out much straighter and more satisfyingly.

So for those fearing it's going to be too small, well maybe depending on your tastes (and dexterity:D) but this is not a toy knife and the proportions and handling are right. Fine Office knife, Watch or Waistcoat :cool: pocket-knife. Next to a 23 any other GEC is a pipsqueak :eek::D

D DrPenguin posted some fine pix of a Conductor and Queen Whittler, great knives Will and I'm reminded of Winchester Black Box Swell Centre pattern, well Queen did make them so I think they have distinct similarities. You also mentioned feebler W & T on some of the original 33 run, I've heard this from others too but I seemed to have avoided that as my Tidioute and GEC Acorns are all perky and loud. That's a killer Tidioute you have there I must say :cool:

You also mentioned the serial No.s in script on the bolster, not keen on them either but I believe it's a practice that's become extinct? Anyway, they soon wear off with pocket carry or take a strop to the bolster, that's rubs em out ....

Regards, Will

Good to hear about those ID #s Will. And you are right about the swell center... that was a fine knife that eluded me. :)

Gaius Julius: Drop me a line asap if you can. Got info on a knife that I'd like to share with you. Email: enginedrwill at yahoo dot com.

I am getting anxious to compare the Stag to this one .

For all you guys that are talking about paying for a jigged bone one : NO PICTURE ???? or it did not happen !!!!

Harry
what is that? I was going to say burnt sienna but I thought those came with bails...

My 33 autumn bone arrived today and it is a very classy knife. No blade rub, just a tightly made gentleman’s or lady’s knife.

Smooth action, (5-6) but after the last few GEC runs of large and larger knives, it is a different knife, one you would carry in a fancy office to cut your durian or to church meeting for the cutting of the pancakes.

Another winner from GEC.

My 33 autumn bone arrived today and it is a very classy knife. No blade rub, just a tightly made gentleman’s or lady’s knife.

Smooth action, (5-6) but after the last few GEC runs of large and larger knives, it is a different knife, one you would carry in a fancy office to cut your durian or to church meeting for the cutting of the pancakes.

Another winner from GEC.

Anyone eating durian in an enclosed office is asking for trouble.

You learn something new every day, especially b/c of Google.
I had never heard of Dorian before. You guys must live near a Whole Foods.

It’s a...memorable smell. Here’s a sign from outside a Singapore public transportation station. Keep in mind that they literally eat tons of durian in Singapore. It’s very popular.

upload_2020-8-12_18-12-51.jpeg

Mine just Arrived from Gunstock Jack and it’s a keeper. Love this pattern and with perfect pulls surprisingly the pulls on the main and secondary are about the same with about a 6 to 7 pull with nice snap on both. Fit and finish is perfection the shield is nestled in perfectly. Smooth at the bolsters and all transitions and no blade rub. Couldn’t be happier !
Thank you Gec and Barry at Gunstock Jacks for this beautiful example :)
P2b4rxz.jpg

88amqIY.jpg

Ready for tomorrow’s carry :thumbsup:
N6MexRc.jpg

I didn’t realize how small these are. Who’s going to be the first to post a photo next to a 23? :)
These feel great in hand well at least in mine :) I was really surprised and also a tad worried they might be to small but definitely not. I’m not a fan of really small knives that compromise feel in hand for comfort in the pocket. This imo is the best of both worlds :thumbsup:

It’s a...memorable smell. Here’s a sign from outside a Singapore public transportation station. Keep in mind that they literally eat tons of durian in Singapore. It’s very popular.

View attachment 1397497

About 7 years ago I came home from work one day and asked my wife what that awful smell was. We lived in an apartment at that time. She was grimacing as I moved outside to the lanai and found a bag inside of a box. Inside was a durian that she bought at the farmers market. She insisted it tasted good but I refused to try it.

I love Durian, but oddly enough my wife who is from that part of the world can’t stand it. I was eating some outside a Thai market once and a couple of girls were so surprised to see a farang (foreigner/white person) eating Durian, they insisted on taking selfies with me.

Because of the tough and spiky outside (a few people are killed every year in Asia when ripe durians fall on them, they’re a large and heavy fruit) I’d want to use my #23 to do the initial slicing! The #33 would do fine to slice up the internal sections though.

And yes... it’s stinky. A delightful sweet and creamy taste... but you have to get past the smell, which is literally like rotting garbage. When I was in college I once threw some away in a large building of classrooms, near an elevator at lunchtime, a very crowded place to congregate, and watched with great amusement as every single person that day rounded the corner, wrinkled their nose a bit, and suddenly developed a newfound passion for exercise and elected to take the stairs down from the 4th floor. It was the best laugh I had in a month!

About 7 years ago I came home from work one day and asked my wife what that awful smell was. We lived in an apartment at that time. She was grimacing as I moved outside to the lanai and found a bag inside of a box. Inside was a durian that she bought at the farmers market. She insisted it tasted good but I refused to try it.
I, too, had never heard of it. After goobering it, I have decided I have NO desire to see/smell/eat one. Life is too short to deliberately put yourself through that....:D

Anyone know if any retailers might still be releasing these?

also, I’ve had durian in Malaysia and it is not as bad as it smells, but not something I’ll do anytime soon.

A moderator has more than once warned us not to talk about the ordering or buying process here and this thread will likely get locked if it continues.

Back