2020 GEC #33 Conductor Thread

back on topic...:)
Has anyone done a comparison pic of the 33 beside a Case half-whittler? I think the Case is 1/4" shorter, but it would be interesting to see the overall "bulk" comparison shot.

sorry for the added edit.... the original Case was a single spring, and is very slender... the new version is a two spring, and is more substantial feeling in hand. It would be good to see pics of both, but if nobody has those, I'll try to do a comparison shot whenever my 33 arrives.... Saturday?

Here are the two different Case versions....

X89QHFQ.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the durian detour. My bad. Looking at the case leads to the shield on antler question. Has GEC stopped doing it completely and does anyone know why? I thought I read that it was a difficult to do but they didn’t elaborate on why. All I could think was maybe due to the surface variants on each piece of antler?

I really love the pulls on this conductor, just smidge stronger than this 14 and way lighter that the 23L. here's a comparison pics of the newest knives with some old friends.
nDKp06y.jpg

Wow, that EO empire is nice! I have an old swell center empire that I love. Hard to find em in good shape anymore it seems.

Sorry for the durian detour. My bad. Looking at the case leads to the shield on antler question. Has GEC stopped doing it completely and does anyone know why? I thought I read that it was a difficult to do but they didn’t elaborate on why. All I could think was maybe due to the surface variants on each piece of antler?
Think you nailed it . Thought I read that Bill got stuck inletting and that was it . I don’t particularly like a bad inlet job but prefer shield if it’s consistent like bone .

I wasn’t planning on getting one of these — the preview image didn’t really excite me — but when I saw the in-production photos and then the finished product, I was sold! :D I’m glad I was able to get ahold of one, this thing is awesome! Feels really nice in hand, not too small, the pulls are nice, and the overall quality is top-notch GEC. (Even the factory edges are good, and you’ll rarely find me saying that about a GEC knife!)

9sgUHCx.jpg

This one showed up today. I was worried about the size but it feels great in hand and as others have mentioned, the clip blade is as long as it could possibly be. Really nice snap on both blades, nice solid 5+pull. The secondary is a bit stiff but will likely loosen up some with oiling and use. I'll carry it the next few days to get a better feel for it. Glad I changed my mind and was able to get one.
uC2ZQBo.jpg

back on topic...:)
Has anyone done a comparison pic of the 33 beside a Case half-whittler? I think the Case is 1/4" shorter, but it would be interesting to see the overall "bulk" comparison shot.

sorry for the added edit.... the original Case was a single spring, and is very slender... the new version is a two spring, and is more substantial feeling in hand. It would be good to see pics of both, but if nobody has those, I'll try to do a comparison shot whenever my 33 arrives.... Saturday?

Here are the two different Case versions....

X89QHFQ.jpg

Valid point about the Half-Whittler. Can't post pix as it's after midnight here and indoor light is no good for that. I have a Crandall single-spring, v.slim knife, also one in Stag but it's thicker due to the antler, plus a contemporary two spring version.

A fine Penknife type pattern (well the 1 spring is a Pen but..) but it feels considerably smaller than the GEC 33 even though its dimensions are just a question of mms, but as we know, on Traditionals small amounts mean a lot in how a knife handles. The Conductor outclasses the CASE in blade length, cutting edge and breadth. the CASE uses, I suspect, the same blade as on the Yellow D Penknife .

Seems to me that the Stag Conductor will probably offer even more thickness in handle slabs (will vary from slab pairs) and this is always a beneficial aspect when considering the smaller framed patterns. Decided I'd like to get a Stag but landing one in current waters looks dicey ;)

I wasn’t planning on getting one of these — the preview image didn’t really excite me — but when I saw the in-production photos and then the finished product, I was sold! :D I’m glad I was able to get ahold of one, this thing is awesome! Feels really nice in hand, not too small, the pulls are nice, and the overall quality is top-notch GEC. (Even the factory edges are good, and you’ll rarely find me saying that about a GEC knife!)

9sgUHCx.jpg

This one showed up today. I was worried about the size but it feels great in hand and as others have mentioned, the clip blade is as long as it could possibly be. Really nice snap on both blades, nice solid 5+pull. The secondary is a bit stiff but will likely loosen up some with oiling and use. I'll carry it the next few days to get a better feel for it. Glad I changed my mind and was able to get one.
uC2ZQBo.jpg
Aren’t these just beautiful! Gec did a phenomenal job on the jigging also along with those beautiful Carmel colors.

Reactions: AnW
I am having trouble finding a place to purchase this pattern. Wondering if the main run isnt out yet or everyones getting sfos or what.
No SFOs on this one 400 bone and 400 stag I believe. We've already been called onto the carpet for talking too much about the purchasing process. Shoot me an email if you want to talk about it offline.

Back