2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

Well, I am a little disappointed in the etch - I was hoping for none or at least something a bit more traditional looking.

That said, it looks pretty good.

ZCMPeao.jpg

Yikes o_O I sure hope they don't use that on the Ironwood

So interesting how our traditional knife preferences evolve over time. When I first started getting into GECs I thought of the viper as my grail knife or the perfect knife. Now after getting a number of GECs i didn't even try to get in on the rat race. Maybe it's bc the 2020 BF knife already scratched that itch? The swayback is still my favorite pattern but now the lambsfoot is my grail knife. The wharncliff blade tip just feels too delicate to me now.

@JohnDF . It seems like every GEC related thread invariably degenerates into these types of complaints. Of course they are hard to get. That’s a testament to how nice they are. Of course they are not perfect, but the quality has always been consistent and is usually very good. I certainly have never had a problem finding good ones. And I would not call a 14 year run trendy.

I wish we would stop the complaining and talk about the knives. If I give up on a product, I just move on. I don’t take every opportunity I can to criticize and complain. Most of us are here because we simply enjoy these knives for what they are, not what we wish they would be. And they are just knives, not a cure for cancer. If you don’t like them that is fine, there are many other brands. And I promise that I will not go to those other threads to complain about those knives and tell you over and over why I am unhappy.

Sorry guys, but I guess I need a break from the Forum. I used to enjoy our discussions, but now they are just moaning sessions. “I’ll never be able to get one.” “If only this or if only that.” It has just become tiresome and no longer fun. Over and out.

Are you familiar with the block function? I find that it improves my experience here.

It looks like the ironwood will be matte finish like the 74’s?

I hope they take extra time to polish them, makes a huge improvement in looks.

It looks like the ironwood will be matte finish like the 74’s?

I hope they take extra time to polish them, makes a huge improvement in looks.

Doubtful. I think the #78 run was the last time that they polished Ironwood. They have their reasons for not doing so anymore and it has little to do with aesthetics from what I understand.

That said, I absolutely agree that a good polish improves the Ironwood immensely.

Doubtful. I think the #78 run was the last time that they polished Ironwood. They have their reasons for not doing so anymore and it has little to do with aesthetics from what I understand.

That said, I absolutely agree that a good polish improves the Ironwood immensely.

Does the Ironwood polish naturally over time with use? From the oils in your hands and your skin.

That’s what happens to my acoustic guitars that have a “satin” (non gloss) finish.

Does the Ironwood polish naturally over time with use? From the oils in your hands and your skin.

That’s what happens to my acoustic guitars that have a “satin” (non gloss) finish.

That's a good question - I suspect with regular pocket carry and use, the Ironwood would darken and polish up a bit.

I have a Martin with a satin finish - it's polished everywhere where my arm and hands make contact :D.

Back