2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

I'm on the fence with this run. I was lucky enough to grab a 74 in arizona ironwood, which I'm very happy with, and I just got my BF knife in the mail. Can anyone out there do a side by side photo of the BF knife from viper and a 47 from a past run? I'd be curious to see them compared because I am feeling like getting the 47 might be a little redundant for me.

from another thread here last year:

Just got mine in the mail. Here it is next to a GEC Viper.

I'd say get one if you can, but only for yourself to use ;)

I had one in Osage Orange but gave it away to be auctioned when the late @BobBiscuit died to raise funds for his grandson. Three years ago already:(

Have to say that I think the often (wrongly..) derided Hotdog shield suited the handles very well indeed. Not so sure about the current options, but GEC is right to offer different styles. I don't think I'd be after one anyway as this year's Forum Knife from Viper ought to be what I need.

UpdcVuq.jpg

One of my favorite patterns Where can I get on an early reserve list for these?
Oooops made a mistake ! Never mind . (edit statement) I took a guest that there will be a GEC#47 Viper run and a GEC#74 Saddle Trapper run. Mr. Mike Latham told everybody not to give up on a 2020 GEC#47 and I never did. An alternant GEC dealer made a #47 Viper pre-order list with my name on it ,over a month ago. I contacted this "top secret" dealer today. He replied , "Hey Kenny , "You're the Man !" and "You are the only one on the list so far !" . This dealer knew nothing about the 2020 #47 Viper run ,today. 200 pieces each choice. "Arizona Iron-wood #47" I love a satin finish on any wood with no stain. You can't out do God's natural beauty ! I had a fun day, today. I have so much fun being right and wrong on Blade Forums. That is why we are all here to make new blade friends , learn everything we can about knives , and show off our cool stuff ! "GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY KNIFE COLLECTION IS WAR !"

Last edited:
I just caught this. I wonder why GEC is switching the shield up on this one when they are keeping everything else the same as the #74 run. The Black Plum #74 had a Federal shield where the Black Plum #47 will have the Crest - I don't find that objectionable, only curious.
Because GEC does not want to "HOTDOG" us ! Baw-ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! Ha !

I'd say get one if you can, but only for yourself to use ;)

I had one in Osage Orange but gave it away to be auctioned when the late @BobBiscuit died to raise funds for his grandson. Three years ago already:(

Have to say that I think the often (wrongly..) derided Hotdog shield suited the handles very well indeed. Not so sure about the current options, but GEC is right to offer different styles. I don't think I'd be after one anyway as this year's Forum Knife from Viper ought to be what I need.

UpdcVuq.jpg

Hard to believe it’s been 3 years since we’ve seen that smiling avatar. :(

I’ve always thought that the hatred of the hotdog shield was at least partly due to the fact that they called it the “hotdog” shield. It’s not actually meant to resemble a hotdog (unlike that silly banana shield ;)). It’s just a variation on a rounded bar shield. I wonder if it would be so disliked if they’d called it something else.

I’m a big fan of the #47. Here’s a pair in jigged bone.

K4dDLV8.jpg

The #47 is a bit bigger than the Viper Swayback, but I would also add that it’s slimmer overall, and the blades are more thinly ground; they’re seriously slicey! :thumbsup:

Hard to believe it’s been 3 years since we’ve seen that smiling avatar. :(

I’ve always thought that the hatred of the hotdog shield was at least partly due to the fact that they called it the “hotdog” shield. It’s not actually meant to resemble a hotdog (unlike that silly banana shield ;)). It’s just a variation on a rounded bar shield. I wonder if it would be so disliked if they’d called it something else.

I’m a big fan of the #47. Here’s a pair in jigged bone.

K4dDLV8.jpg

The #47 is a bit bigger than the Viper Swayback, but I would also add that it’s slimmer overall, and the blades are more thinly ground; they’re seriously slicey! :thumbsup:
"Great Picture !" Check out the two nail nicks. The nail nicks on the Tidioute knives are always slightly further down closer to the tip of the blade. Tidioute knives are always easier for one arm me to open. If I know that a GEC knife will be hard for me to open , that does not stop me from buying it. If got have it , I got to have it ! I bought 16 GEC#23/23LL 2020 Trapper "bear trap" knives. I am on my toes while cleaning those big knives. I dropped one (GEC#23LL) and I stabbed the bone in my big toe. "Blood every where !" I love this hobby. I am cleaning 200+ knives over the next few days . I lost my all guns in a boating accident . If I had any they would be next. I love GEC #47 Viper knives. It will be so nice obtaining my first one. Thank you sir, for sharing this cool picture.

The "Colon Shield" perhaps ?
I am registered nurse, it works for me :D

DOXLnJrl.jpg

:eek: :D

"Great Picture !" Check out the two nail nicks. The nail nicks on the Tidioute knives are always slightly further down closer to the tip of the blade. Tidioute knives are always easier for one arm me to open. If I know that a GEC knife will be hard for me to open , that does not stop me from buying it. If got have it , I got to have it ! I bought 16 GEC#23/23LL 2020 Trapper "bear trap" knives. I am on my toes while cleaning those big knives. I dropped one (GEC#23LL) and I stabbed the bone in my big toe. "Blood every where !" I love this hobby. I am cleaning 200+ knives over the next few days . I lost my all guns in a boating accident . If I had any they would be next. I love GEC #47 Viper knives. It will be so nice obtaining my first one. Thank you sir, for sharing this cool picture.

Thanks. It’s personal preference, of course, but in general, I prefer the finish of the Tidioute blades (drawn swedges vs. cut, satin vs. polished, etc.) to Northfield.

Has it really been three years since we lost Bob ? RIP

Yep. Early November 2017.

For the love of God, GEC please polish the ironwood! It's among the most beautiful materials that can be used, and they leave it unfinished satin. They were the poorest finished 74's and should have been the belle of the ball. And don't use the scrap wood that is solid black. No other maker uses the left-over ironwood scrap. There were dozens of seriously disappointed people with the ugly ducklings.

Back