2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

Figured I would share my two from the run. I was hesitant on the black plum bone, but glad I was able to get one. I am a sucker for swayback patterns, and these two are nearly perfect.
EHh1osRh.jpg

I was kind of on the fence about bothering with smoothing out my ironwood, but I found a little extra time last night. Super glad I did... it's like a different knife.

Before:
TG0oJqZ.jpg

After:
a3e8Ziv.jpg

Before:
gDrvxqA.jpg

After:
YzzWvCv.jpg

Didn't even spend that much time or effort... just dry sanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit paper. Then rubbed the bolsters with a tiny bit of flexcut on a shirt. Then wiped with naptha, rubbing alcohol, and finally mineral oil.

Fwiw, I discovered that rubbing with an alcohol wipe takes a LOT of color off the dark areas. I didn't go overboard, because it's surely not good for the wood (very drying), but it looked dramatically lighter before I put the mineral oil on to re-hydrate.
uHGMOFR.jpg

Fwiw, I discovered that rubbing with an alcohol wipe takes a LOT of color off the dark areas. I didn't go overboard, because it's surely not good for the wood (very drying), but it looked dramatically lighter before I put the mineral oil on to re-hydrate.
uHGMOFR.jpg

:confused: Is that dust from sanding or is GEC using a stain on the wood?

:confused: Is that dust from sanding or is GEC using a stain on the wood?
I wondered the same at first, actually. But I wiped it really well with naptha, as I do with all my projects after sanding to remove the dust. I wiped until the rag was clean.

The alcohol wipe discovery was a complete accident. While wiping off the blade and bolsters I hit the handle and it colored the wipe a bit. So then I tried another on purpose, and it was kind of shocking, and pretty messy... even my fingers were getting stained a little. Never seen anything like that before, but I've also never used ironwood before.

I wondered the same at first, actually. But I wiped it really well with naptha, as I do with all my projects after sanding to remove the dust. I wiped until the rag was clean.

The alcohol wipe discovery was a complete accident. While wiping off the blade and bolsters I hit the handle and it colored the wipe a bit. So then I tried another on purpose, and it was kind of shocking, and pretty messy... even my fingers were getting stained a little. Never seen anything like that before, but I've also never used ironwood before.
I wonder what the wipes would look like after wiping some Ebony or blackwood... o_O

I was kind of on the fence about bothering with smoothing out my ironwood, but I found a little extra time last night. Super glad I did... it's like a different knife.

Before:
TG0oJqZ.jpg

After:
a3e8Ziv.jpg

Before:
gDrvxqA.jpg

After:
YzzWvCv.jpg

Didn't even spend that much time or effort... just dry sanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit paper. Then rubbed the bolsters with a tiny bit of flexcut on a shirt. Then wiped with naptha, rubbing alcohol, and finally mineral oil.

uHGMOFR.jpg
You Done Good my friend .

Harry

btb01 btb01 , M mcc850 , A akaMatt
Thank very much guys for the very kind words . I guess I must have a pretty good dealer , because I do not get to choose from a selection .
Back in September , Half/Stop Ron and I were sitting on my daughter's deck discussing whether or not we should get a 47 Stag . We both said " Heck Yeah , I don't have one " . I miss that guy and his phone calls .

Harry

Last edited:
When I scored the 47 in ironwood I knew I had to sell one of the others. How do you decide though? :( Anybody need a kidney?
GpSPAoW.jpg
Let me know what you decide, because I'll soon have those same 3 vipers, and may have a similar dilemma at some point... although my ironwood is already a user, so it will stay. Or... option B, maybe I'll find a nice stag and have a full set!

Back