2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

My user name finally checks out as I have acquired a #47.

20210118-130058.jpg

20210118-130146.jpg

20210118-130235.jpg
Very nice. I believe these black plums will look really killer with some good patina!

Very nice! If you only keep one, my vote is on the darker one. Both look fantastic though.

I honestly only planned to get one, and then stumbled upon a drop where this dark one was still available and had to have it. I'll probably keep them both for the time being, maybe use the other as trade fodder down the road.

After a rather lengthy wait, my #47 in Stag showed up today, completing this run and hopefully sating my curiosity for a wee bit before the next GEC pattern gets announced.

To me, receiving Stag is like the saying with regards to a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get. Since I haven't been able to select my Stag personally for some time now, it is always a bit of a gamble and it makes the anticipation all the more palpable. I have yet to be disappointed and though some might not think that I won the lottery this time around, I am rather pleased with my Viper in Stag. A bit different than I normally prefer - it has an almost "Burnt Stag" flair to it - but its drastic difference from the 74 that I have and the rich color it possesses quickly won me over.

- Nicely matched covers, in both thickness and color - on the thick side but it makes for an incredibly comfortable knife in hand.
- Action is a bit grittier and a touch softer than my other Vipers - this one will need a good flush.
- My one complaint is that there is a gap between bolster and Stag on the pile side - I can fit at least two sheets of paper in it. I am not used to seeing this sort of flaw on GECs so it took me by surprise a little bit. I will be using this knife a lot so I don't find it all that troublesome. If I wanted it for the safe, I suppose I might think differently.

I am very happy to add this one to the collection - it is the 47 I was most looking forward to.

GaMdjCZ.jpg

3RB4hJ1.jpg

7GhdgEK.jpg

wENESyK.jpg

After a rather lengthy wait, my #47 in Stag showed up today, completing this run and hopefully sating my curiosity for a wee bit before the next GEC pattern gets announced.

To me, receiving Stag is like the saying with regards to a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get. Since I haven't been able to select my Stag personally for some time now, it is always a bit of a gamble and it makes the anticipation all the more palpable. I have yet to be disappointed and though some might not think that I won the lottery this time around, I am rather pleased with my Viper in Stag. A bit different than I normally prefer - it has an almost "Burnt Stag" flair to it - but its drastic difference from the 74 that I have and the rich color it possesses quickly won me over.

- Nicely matched covers, in both thickness and color - on the thick side but it makes for an incredibly comfortable knife in hand.
- Action is a bit grittier and a touch softer than my other Vipers - this one will need a good flush.
- My one complaint is that there is a gap between bolster and Stag on the pile side - I can fit at least two sheets of paper in it. I am not used to seeing this sort of flaw on GECs so it took me by surprise a little bit. I will be using this knife a lot so I don't find it all that troublesome. If I wanted it for the safe, I suppose I might think differently.

I am very happy to add this one to the collection - it is the 47 I was most looking forward to.

GaMdjCZ.jpg

3RB4hJ1.jpg

7GhdgEK.jpg

wENESyK.jpg
That stag looks great!

My one complaint is that there is a gap between bolster and Stag on the pile side - I can fit at least two sheets of paper in it. I am not used to seeing this sort of flaw on GECs so it took me by surprise a little bit. I will be using this knife a lot so I don't find it all that troublesome. If I wanted it for the safe, I suppose I might think differently.
Interesting, I too have bolster cover gaps on my stag. 1 sheet of paper on the mark side and 3 sheets on the pile side. It's beautiful stag and a great user so I didn't pay it too much mind.

Boc2GkB.jpg

0D0xyVb.jpg

I’m definitely not a pocket knife expert, but I feel since the 74’s I too have been seeing more flaws in the knives. Example with a burlap 74 I received- it had a very off center blade. 74 and 47 black plum - bolsters were lightly dented in where the dips in the jigging met. Assuming it happened when in a vise? My 74 black plum also had a very thin gap between liner and backspring on one side. Since these are handmade knives and they are so hard to get I try not to complain. But the flaws are there. I also understand the work environment might not be the greatest for the cutlers or maybe they are newer staff that just need more practice.

I’m definitely not a pocket knife expert, but I feel since the 74’s I too have been seeing more flaws in the knives. Example with a burlap 74 I received- it had a very off center blade. 74 and 47 black plum - bolsters were lightly dented in where the dips in the jigging met. Assuming it happened when in a vise? My 74 black plum also had a very thin gap between liner and backspring on one side. Since these are handmade knives and they are so hard to get I try not to complain. But the flaws are there. I also understand the work environment might not be the greatest for the cutlers or maybe they are newer staff that just need more practice.

My plum 47 also has those dents. Two on one side and one on the other side. I just assumed it was a design feature since I've seen other models like a 12 copper jigged bone that had about four dents on all four sides of the bolsters, and I ended up returning it because of that. I don't know enough about knife construction to know if it should be a flaw, but maybe they could have not jigged the bone all the way up to the bolsters. I think it would look nicer without the dents.

My current 12 has nice covers where the jigging stops before the bolsters while on the 47 it goes under the bolsters and results in dents.

20210119-220621.jpg

Last edited:
My plum 47 also has those dents. Two on one side and one on the other side. I just assumed it was a design feature since I've seen other models like a 12 copper jigged bone that had about four dents on all four bolsters, and I ended up returning it because of that. I don't know enough about knife construction to know if it should be a flaw, but maybe they could have not jigged the bone all the way up to the bolsters. I think it would look nicer without the dents.

My current 12 has nice covers where the jigging stops before the bolsters while on the 47 it goes under the bolsters and results in dents.

20210119-220621.jpg
The Dents in the Bolster just happen to be where there are recesses in bone from the jigging . They did this on purpose so that you would not have sharp edges on the bolster . Some Cutlers do it and some do not . IMHO it is the good ones who do it .
Edited 1-26-21 to add : Some people believe it is done when they are buffing the covers and that may be correct .
Harry

Last edited:
The Dents in the Bolster just happen to be where there are recesses in bone from the jigging . They did this on purpose so that you would not have sharp edges on the bolster . Some Cutlers do it and some do not . IMHO it is the good ones who do it .

Harry

Harry, thanks for clarifying the dents are to avoid sharp edges. I learned something!

Back