2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

Hello,

How can a poor french guy get a Viper #47 when the GEC disappear in a few minutes in the middle of the night ... :(

Do you have a (good) idea ? o_O:rolleyes:

View attachment 1474726 View attachment 1474727

Corto_Malt Corto_Malt , if you upgrade your membership to one that allows me to message you, I am willing to help you. Or you can give me your email in a post and then delete it after I have recorded it.

I am sending you a message bigfish64 bigfish64 .

H HOMER GRIFIN , I like Mike’s Italian knives as well, but if your main interest is American traditionals, there is no substitute for some of the knives GEC is producing. I really cannot understand why so many people give up. I am pretty limited technology wise, but I still manage to snag a few. Just be patient and spend a little time figuring it out. View it as an interesting project and don’t be upset when you miss out. There is always the next one. If a dolt like me can do it, anyone can. The good things in life are often not easy.

Thank you hamsco hamsco ! I am very glad to have this one. I just cannot get used to stag without a shield.

JohnDF JohnDF , GEC has been around for what, plus or minus 14 years? I wouldn’t call that trendy. During my six years of buying them they have never been easy to get. The good things never are. And the quality has always been consistent, never perfect, but usually very good. It has certainly been easy enough to find a good one.

Last edited:
I gave up chasing GEC. I never had any luck. That’s why I bought my swayback’s from Collector Knives. Excellent quality plus a good stainless blade I don’t have to worry about rust, and easily available. What more could you ask for

I really cannot understand why so many people give up.
It's a combination of things...
I've never liked "trendy" things, there seems to be some slipping QC lately (lighter pulls, liner gaps, and gappy shields - all reported here), Lolliscramble (too frustrating just to buy a knife), soaring secondary prices, and a much tighter wallet.

Last edited:
It's a combination of things...
I've never liked "trendy" things, there seems to be some slipping QC lately (lighter pulls, liner gaps, and gappy shields - all reported here), Lolliscramble (too frustrating just to buy a knife), soaring secondary prices, and a much tighter wallet.

And don't for a minute think I'm putting down GEC, we can all be a little critical of all brands if need be.
If they were readily available, at retail prices, in patterns that I want to "try out" ... I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

JohnDF JohnDF . It seems like every GEC related thread invariably degenerates into these types of complaints. Of course they are hard to get. That’s a testament to how nice they are. Of course they are not perfect, but the quality has always been consistent and is usually very good. I certainly have never had a problem finding good ones. And I would not call a 14 year run trendy.

I wish we would stop the complaining and talk about the knives. If I give up on a product, I just move on. I don’t take every opportunity I can to criticize and complain. Most of us are here because we simply enjoy these knives for what they are, not what we wish they would be. And they are just knives, not a cure for cancer. If you don’t like them that is fine, there are many other brands. And I promise that I will not go to those other threads to complain about those knives and tell you over and over why I am unhappy.

Sorry guys, but I guess I need a break from the Forum. I used to enjoy our discussions, but now they are just moaning sessions. “I’ll never be able to get one.” “If only this or if only that.” It has just become tiresome and no longer fun. Over and out.

Last edited:
View attachment 1474726 View attachment 1474727

Corto_Malt Corto_Malt , if you upgrade your membership to one that allows me to message you, I am willing to help you. Or you can give me your email in a post and then delete it after I have recorded it.

I am sending you a message bigfish64 bigfish64 .

H HOMER GRIFIN , I like Mike’s Italian knives as well, but if your main interest is American traditionals, there is no substitute for some of the knives GEC is producing. I really cannot understand why so many people give up. I am pretty limited technology wise, but I still manage to snag a few. Just be patient and spend a little time figuring it out. View it as an interesting project and don’t be upset when you miss out. There is always the next one. If a dolt like me can do it, anyone can. The good things in life are often not easy.

Thank you hamsco hamsco ! I am very glad to have this one. I just cannot get used to stag without a shield.

JohnDF JohnDF , GEC has been around for what, plus or minus 14 years? I wouldn’t call that trendy. During my six years of buying them they have never been easy to get. The good things never are. And the quality has always been consistent, never perfect, but usually very good. It has certainly been easy enough to find a good one.

I’m normally a “popcorn” guy, but I love the deep grooves on the mark side of that one. is this the look GEC was going for on the cougar clawed bone?

Corto_Malt Corto_Malt GEC has a European dealer in Germany, and if you go to GEC’s website you will see the dealer listed on the “Dealer Page”.

Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville don’t let the Grinch steal your Christmas! Since no one has a new 47 yet, people just pass the time belly aching about stuff until the release. And you are right, lack of shield on stag is a shame.

For me, the 47 is totally backwards, like a bizarro world 74 pattern. If I find one I will just save the tube and toss the knife as usual (I am mainly an empty tube and button collector). Cheer up people!

I really cannot understand why so many people give up.

I don’t take every opportunity I can to criticize and complain.
But you asked first and started the conversation...

I don't try to run down any brands, but when asked for an opinion, I try to answer honestly and thoroughly.

Sorry if I ruined anything for you, not meaning to be a "Grinch". :(

Last edited:
Well, I am a little disappointed in the etch - I was hoping for none or at least something a bit more traditional looking.

That said, it looks pretty good.

ZCMPeao.jpg

Back