2020 GEC#47 VIPER RUN

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Onearmbladenut, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Corto_Malt

Corto_Malt

Aug 6, 2020
    Hello,

How can a poor french guy get a Viper #47 when the GEC disappear in a few minutes in the middle of the night ... :(

Do you have a (good) idea ? o_O:rolleyes:

mcc850 likes this.
  2. bigfish64

bigfish64 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I sometimes wonder the same thing and I live in Illinois!:)

3. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    6BE7920A-EC21-4656-AD45-DB20A751CFA4.jpeg 08E6495C-BBAE-4082-A873-3B6DFF677213.jpeg

@Corto_Malt , if you upgrade your membership to one that allows me to message you, I am willing to help you. Or you can give me your email in a post and then delete it after I have recorded it.

I am sending you a message @bigfish64 .

@HOMER GRIFIN , I like Mike’s Italian knives as well, but if your main interest is American traditionals, there is no substitute for some of the knives GEC is producing. I really cannot understand why so many people give up. I am pretty limited technology wise, but I still manage to snag a few. Just be patient and spend a little time figuring it out. View it as an interesting project and don’t be upset when you miss out. There is always the next one. If a dolt like me can do it, anyone can. The good things in life are often not easy.

Thank you @hamsco ! I am very glad to have this one. I just cannot get used to stag without a shield.

@JohnDF , GEC has been around for what, plus or minus 14 years? I wouldn’t call that trendy. During my six years of buying them they have never been easy to get. The good things never are. And the quality has always been consistent, never perfect, but usually very good. It has certainly been easy enough to find a good one.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  4. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    I gave up chasing GEC. I never had any luck. That’s why I bought my swayback’s from Collector Knives. Excellent quality plus a good stainless blade I don’t have to worry about rust, and easily available. What more could you ask for

Will Power likes this.
  5. hamsco

hamsco Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    @Leslie Tomville I have had quite a few 47 Vipers pass through my hands, but the stag in your picture is one of the best I have seen !! Thanks for posting that beauty.

solphilos and Leslie Tomville like this.
  6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It's a combination of things...
    I've never liked "trendy" things, there seems to be some slipping QC lately (lighter pulls, liner gaps, and gappy shields - all reported here), Lolliscramble (too frustrating just to buy a knife), soaring secondary prices, and a much tighter wallet.

7. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015

8. HOMER GRIFIN

HOMER GRIFIN

Apr 15, 2015
    Totally agree on

Will Power and JohnDF like this.
  9. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    And don't for a minute think I'm putting down GEC, we can all be a little critical of all brands if need be.
    If they were readily available, at retail prices, in patterns that I want to "try out" ... I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

10. Leslie Tomville

Leslie Tomville Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    @JohnDF . It seems like every GEC related thread invariably degenerates into these types of complaints. Of course they are hard to get. That’s a testament to how nice they are. Of course they are not perfect, but the quality has always been consistent and is usually very good. I certainly have never had a problem finding good ones. And I would not call a 14 year run trendy.

I wish we would stop the complaining and talk about the knives. If I give up on a product, I just move on. I don’t take every opportunity I can to criticize and complain. Most of us are here because we simply enjoy these knives for what they are, not what we wish they would be. And they are just knives, not a cure for cancer. If you don’t like them that is fine, there are many other brands. And I promise that I will not go to those other threads to complain about those knives and tell you over and over why I am unhappy.

Sorry guys, but I guess I need a break from the Forum. I used to enjoy our discussions, but now they are just moaning sessions. “I’ll never be able to get one.” “If only this or if only that.” It has just become tiresome and no longer fun. Over and out.

cbr1000, Murphjd25, Ramrodmb and 2 others like this.
  11. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I’m normally a “popcorn” guy, but I love the deep grooves on the mark side of that one. is this the look GEC was going for on the cougar clawed bone?

12. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    @Corto_Malt GEC has a European dealer in Germany, and if you go to GEC’s website you will see the dealer listed on the “Dealer Page”.

@Leslie Tomville don’t let the Grinch steal your Christmas! Since no one has a new 47 yet, people just pass the time belly aching about stuff until the release. And you are right, lack of shield on stag is a shame.

For me, the 47 is totally backwards, like a bizarro world 74 pattern. If I find one I will just save the tube and toss the knife as usual (I am mainly an empty tube and button collector). Cheer up people!

tmd_87, byjiminy, marsturm and 3 others like this.
  13. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    But you asked first and started the conversation...

I don't try to run down any brands, but when asked for an opinion, I try to answer honestly and thoroughly.

Sorry if I ruined anything for you, not meaning to be a "Grinch". :(

hornetguy, CelloDan and Mass1632 like this.
  14. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Horray, no etch on the micarta :thumbsup:.

tmd_87, solphilos and JohnDF like this.
  15. dcpritch

dcpritch

Feb 28, 2018
    I tried but didn’t get one of this run, resigned to living with an earlier Viper
    F687F279-09A9-419B-B4B2-344A53DC60B1.jpeg

16. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    The struggle is real, beautiful knife.

17. nickvnlr

nickvnlr Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Oh, the horror! :D

18. Corto_Malt

Corto_Malt

Aug 6, 2020
    Thank you very much for the proposal.

19. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    That really is a dandy though.

20. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Well, I am a little disappointed in the etch - I was hoping for none or at least something a bit more traditional looking.

That said, it looks pretty good.

[​IMG]