2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Don't have any pix of the 13's backspring but it is a much thicker spring than the 62's. The Clerk's master Wharncliffe is not only thicker but considerably longer, reaching right into the frame, much less krinking going on too. They frames look and identical length to me, but the 62 is lighter and most certainly easier on the pocket than the Clerk whose square bolsters and raised tangs are fairly sharp. The 62 is from my point of view, the superior knife with near sunk joints and thinner construction.

I'm always boring on about brass, but you can see the brass-bleed/verdigris even on this Micarta model, it's staining a good deal, worse still on Stag or light colour Bone, must be my sweat:eek::D

8DGrmqM.jpg
First off, your 62 easy pocket looks like a real winner. The new shield is a perfect fit. I’m glad you are pleased with it.:thumbsup:

Secondly, I’ve always wondered why you have such a problem with verdigris on brass, when I myself have never noticed a problem with it on any of my user knives, unless I leave them in a sheath or slip for an extended period. I thought it may be a difference in our sweat until I heard you talk about using coconut oil on some of your knives.

This article talks about coconut oil containing 14-20 different kinds of acid:eek: that have been proven to degrade engine parts, especially alloys, (brass) when used as an alternative for diesel fuel.
https://www.ripublication.com/ijaer18/ijaerv13n10_11.pdf

Take as you will,;) but it seems like there could be a connection here.

Last edited:
Don't have any pix of the 13's backspring but it is a much thicker spring than the 62's. The Clerk's master Wharncliffe is not only thicker but considerably longer, reaching right into the frame, much less krinking going on too. They frames look and identical length to me, but the 62 is lighter and most certainly easier on the pocket than the Clerk whose square bolsters and raised tangs are fairly sharp. The 62 is from my point of view, the superior knife with near sunk joints and thinner construction.

I'm always boring on about brass, but you can see the brass-bleed/verdigris even on this Micarta model, it's staining a good deal, worse still on Stag or light colour Bone, must be my sweat:eek::D

8DGrmqM.jpg
I’m supposed to receive my Unicorn Ivory 62 today. How long do you figure it’ll take for mine to end up with brass bleed like your micarta has?

Will Power Will Power excellent comparison. I have an old 62 and havent looked at them together for some reason. I am however more of a fan of the 13 grind vs 62 krink.

Stumpy72 Stumpy72 I dont have any bleeding on my micarta 13 and it looks like a bruised fighter from pocket time and use. I'll get some pictures this evening.

Am I the first to get a Unicorn Congress in hand?
Here we go: It's great, and I echo what others have said about the fit and design. The sunk joints and rounded corners will make this a pleasure to carry.
7FKgy8p.jpg

0ZkO7gM.jpg

The grain in the "ivory" is much more pronounced than on my #25 Barlow, but from seeing various pictures I think there was a range of variation in that run, and mine had only subtle lines. I tried to take some pictures for comparison, along with the plain Ivory Micarta on the #13 Forum knife.
hXj4vuW.jpg

HZf1MQQ.jpg

There is a rough spot on the edge of the pile side that seems to have picked up a little dark buffing compound, but I expect that will wash out. If not, I'm not upset as this knife will be a user.
IO39wHg.jpg

Ramrodmb Ramrodmb Thanks for the link and it made me think. The study appears to argue that engine wear and degradation in diesels increases when non fossil fuels such as vegetable or coconut oils are used instead. I am not a chemist but it seems to be mainly about engine wear, pistons, bearings etc which are ferric, brass and other alloys playing a minor role. This is fuel under very high pressure too.

However, you could be on to something ;) but coconut oil used for fuel purposes is very different from the edible variety that's used in cooking or cosmetics. The knives I've used it on have been mainly wood, I don't think it's been on the 13 Clerk, can't swear to it:D The amounts are minimal, a smear, not soaking like some people do with mineral oil. As far as I know, the product called Froglube is a coconut oil based lubricant for knives in particular.

You've had no brass problems, same with other people, but plenty do not just me. How far do you live from the sea? I'm about 200 metres as the crow flies so perhaps it's the saline air? Verdigris is essentially brass patina, a way of protecting itself, but it's pretty greasy and it certainly has stained up a lot of my knives, bone, stag and micarta, wood not so much oddly. Could be the composition of brass perhaps? GEC and CASE seem worst offenders, Queen not at all strangely enough, nor Böker. Ultimately, I prefer knives without brass liners though;) plus verdigris & brass stink:eek::D

Here we go: It's great, and I echo what others have said about the fit and design. The sunk joints and rounded corners will make this a pleasure to carry.
7FKgy8p.jpg

0ZkO7gM.jpg

The grain in the "ivory" is much more pronounced than on my #25 Barlow, but from seeing various pictures I think there was a range of variation in that run, and mine had only subtle lines. I tried to take some pictures for comparison, along with the plain Ivory Micarta on the #13 Forum knife.
hXj4vuW.jpg

HZf1MQQ.jpg

There is a rough spot on the edge of the pile side that seems to have picked up a little dark buffing compound, but I expect that will wash out. If not, I'm not upset as this knife will be a user.
IO39wHg.jpg
I just recently started into traditionals with the intent of collecting stag handled knives. After seeing these pix, I’m now into collecting stag handled knives and GEC Unicorn Ivory handled knives.

Apparently so.... hmmmmm... something's a little strange here.... "the girl" gets hers first.... this smacks of partisan politics.

.......but I'm ok with it. :D You've taken, and shared, some wonderful pics of it, and mine should be here any day now, so..... congratulations!!!

ok, you are all terrible enablers! I've been trying really hard not to buy any of these #62s, but the Unicorn Ivory won me over and when I got a notification email today I had to go for it!

I just ordered mine. I need one to keep my red jigged bone 62 company. And, this is such a user pattern and so well built I need two. Photos later. r8shell r8shell it looks very nice in the sun.

Apparently so.... hmmmmm... something's a little strange here.... "the girl" gets hers first.... this smacks of partisan politics.

.......but I'm ok with it. :D You've taken, and shared, some wonderful pics of it, and mine should be here any day now, so..... congratulations!!!
Favoritism, I tells ya! :p
I just ordered mine. I need one to keep my red jigged bone 62 company. And, this is such a user pattern and so well built I need two. Photos later. r8shell r8shell it looks very nice in the sun.
Thanks. I'm still getting used to the new phone camera, so I'm seeing a lot of variation in the color scale depending on the background. :confused:

You know, I think the name “Easy Pocket Congress” relates to the mostly sunken tangs, the thinness and light weight and also to the very thin flat grind if the Wharncliffe main. It is an easy slicer and one should take it easy with what is cut with it. If I need to power through something I will switch to a more robust blade like in my 86. Otherwise I think the 62 is easy to carry, open, slice with but “take it easy”, it’s no Oil Field Jack.
Love mine.

I'd call it a light pull, maybe a 4 or 5 out of 10, but still solid and snappy. Not sluggish feeling at all. (if that makes any sense)
What say you, Mayonardo Mayonardo ?
It does make sense! Thank you. I was hoping for around a 6-7. If it's still solid and snappy I'll probably still like it then!

It does make sense! Thank you. I was hoping for around a 6-7. If it's still solid and snappy I'll probably still like it then!

I kind of feel like mine's a solid 5 if not a 6. Any tighter and I don't think I would like it on the smallish blades. They're nice and snappy, not quite flush at half open however fully open and fully closed are perfect.

Back