2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Charlie, I'm not sure very gnarly stag is ideal on this pattern.
Gnarly or not, nothing wrong with some nice stag on a congress pattern......

F9rlIC9h.jpg

XSZA910h.jpg

Whoa buddy, some of those SFO’s are looking sharp! The off center shields look great! Big fan of bomb and propeller shields. Black linen micarta just looks snazzy.

Whoa buddy, some of those SFO’s are looking sharp! The off center shields look great! Big fan of bomb and propeller shields. Black linen micarta just looks snazzy.

The natural micarta SFO for SMKW looks so good. I love the tidioute finish on this knife, and the handles and shield are just great on that one!

This one showed up yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to take pictures until today.

kHs87BR.jpg

KQaObAu.jpg

Here's a side-by-side with my #25 in Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. There's a lot more "grain" in the UIA on my #62, but my #25 was one of the "plainest" examples I've seen.

WX5i6vd.jpg

This one showed up yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to take pictures until today...

Here's a side-by-side with my #25 in Unicorn Ivory Acrylic. There's a lot more "grain" in the UIA on my #62, but my #25 was one of the "plainest" examples I've seen.

WX5i6vd.jpg

Interesting, my 62 looks more like your 25. You have to really catch the light correctly to see any grain. Not sure which I prefer, they're both an appealing look.

It looks to me more like marbled royal icing, but in white and off-white, giving that basket weave illusion.
xG7LZO3m.jpg
LlT1FxGm.jpg

The area on mine with the black spots feels a little rough when I drag my nail across it, so I'm thinking it's just the coarse scratches from being roughed out. If those areas aren't highly polished, they can hold compound, but will eventually fade with oil and handling. Like scrimshaw. :D Micarta is much more porous.
From the closeups I have seen this icing pattern looks very similar. Mine is in the mail so will have a good look and feel soon.

I received a fantastic unicorn ivory acrylic 62. What a great knife. I wont be able to take any pics until the weekend. I had no black scuffs on the scales and fairly noticeable striations. Pull seems about the same as a SAK.

Happy to receive my Unicorn Ivory the other day. The 'grain' is only visible on the upper half of each cover and a little more subtle than most of the pics I've seen. Action and finish are stellar, I'm very pleased. It wasn't terribly sharp but that was a quick fix.

This is the first acrylic GEC I've picked up since my #65 Tortoise and once again I'm pleasantly surprised at just how 'grippy' the GEC acrylic covers are.

Received a Unicorn Ivory 62, the first half congress pattern i've owned. My initial impressions of this pattern are not very high. However i suspect it may grow on me, since its my favorite blade configuration: single spring 2 blade. My displeasure resides almost entirely with the length of the primary blade being approximately the same length as the wharncliffe secondary on the 82 possum skinners. Shame on me for expecting something closer to a round bolster #13 clerk. The only other turnoff for me is the large shield. This will be an unpopular opinion, but the normal hotdog shield would have looked better than this squished hotdog shield.

Also, just as an FYI, the pulls on my knife are closer to a 4 than a 6. Pull weight has no bearing on my opinion of knives unless they're overly heavy. So i'm okay with this. But I see lots of folks reporting strong pulls. Not the case on my Unicorn Ivory.

Received a Unicorn Ivory 62, the first half congress pattern i've owned. My initial impressions of this pattern are not very high. … My displeasure resides almost entirely with the length of the primary blade being approximately the same length as the wharncliffe secondary on the 82 possum skinners. …. The only other turnoff for me is the large shield.
The PS is a good knife but for me the long clip blade makes it too long. It is good to have that PS size Wharncliffe in a smaller handle.
Pull force is really too subjective to quantify without some mechanism that will provide repeatable and measurable results. Even so, individual experiences at the same force will be different I suspect. I would call the 62s pull force “medium”.
For my uses and preferences this 62 is outstanding.

My displeasure resides almost entirely with the length of the primary blade being approximately the same length as the wharncliffe secondary on the 82 possum skinners.

I definitely noticed that the main was shorter than most, even in the pen knife type configuration. My #35 has a pretty long primary for a single spring two blade, but it’s well off from running the full length of the handle. I have a feeling people who really like this knife might be the type that typically go for a secondary blade on a medium-large pattern.

this is why Jiki Jiki has me excited about the pocket carver. It’s a large knife (for MY pocket, anyway) that essentially consists of what would be secondaries on any other knife. According to a reputable site, the sharp length is about 2.125” on a closed length of ~3.75” (3.875” according to GEC, but whatever). That’s about 57% sharp length compared to to handle length, as measured by the website. Compared to the small but mighty #06 wharnecliffe which is 1.81” of sharpened length, according to the same site. That’s about 3/8 of an inch difference in sharpened length for an additional inch of handle.

Fascinating stuff.

This one showed up yesterday, but I didn't have a chance to take pictures until today.

kHs87BR.jpg

KQaObAu.jpg

WX5i6vd.jpg
Man, that is a pretty "grain" in yours. That is the best one I've seen. "Spectacular" might not be an overstatement. Looking at mine, it's like olywa's ... with the grain showing on the upper half, but hardly at all on the lower half. Looking at it under magnification, it appears that the appearance of the handle is totally dependent on how the blank was cut from the slab of acrylic.... just like wood. On mine, you can see where the grain looks like end-grain on wood, but halfway down the handle, it fades away into side grain. Just as if you took a straight grained piece of wood and sliced it diagonally from one end.

These unicorns are interesting creatures.....:)

Back