2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

hNkGOSP.jpg

Last edited:
I find handle thickness to be secondary to me to length of the handle. I can deal with thick and thin handles however I like the but to sit nicely in the heel of my hand. The a loose grip to my index finger with my thumb on the back of the knife for control. Then the thumb on my off hand is the motor that pushes the blade. It is definitely an individual preference thing for each carver though. Heck what do I know I have been told in a different online setting that my carvings are rudimentary. :eek::D:D:p

Nothing secondary about handles for me, length, thickness, shape, when it comes to whittling. I don't need anything beefy but below a certain length (3.75"), a certain thickness (0.5") i feel awkward, can't get the blade at the proper angle or can't keep the angle. That's how a wharmcliff blade tip breaks. Have you ever tried to whittle with a Douk-Douk or a Mercator?
I like your carvings but as you say: "what do i know about figurative art" ? What it seems to me anyway is your technique allows you some complicated cuts. Don't bother. There are so much experts behind a keyboard...

Dan.

Can’t decide between the SMKW SFO or the DLT maroon linen! Decisions decisions. I tend to prefer the Tidioute trim but the maroon linen looks nice. :confused::confused::confused:

I've heard several versions but for me it's "Get your kids interested in knives and they won't have money for (whatever is objectionable to you) anything else"

Nothing secondary about handles for me, length, thickness, shape, when it comes to whittling. I don't need anything beefy but below a certain length (3.75"), a certain thickness (0.5") i feel awkward, can't get the blade at the proper angle or can't keep the angle. That's how a wharmcliff blade tip breaks. Have you ever tried to whittle with a Douk-Douk or a Mercator?
I like your carvings but as you say: "what do i know about figurative art" ? What it seems to me anyway is your technique allows you some complicated cuts. Don't bother. There are so much experts behind a keyboard...

Dan.
I agree that it all matters, I'm just saying I would dump a short knife before I dump a skinny knife that's all. 3.75 sits directly in the meat of my hand perfect if I need that little bit of leverage. Yeah when someone :poop: talks me on the internet that has not shared any pictures of their work?:rolleyes: not worth my time. I carve for one person if you all enjoy it too then I am happy to share.

The Carver's secondary is reportedly very thin. I don't know why people are complaining about the redundant blades, I love it. You can carve both right handed and left handed with one knife. :rolleyes:
Oooh! I wonder if I can sharpen one of the secondaries for push cuts, and one for pull cuts?
Now I kinda wish I'd checked the "sure" option instead of the "notify" option. :confused:

Oooh! I wonder if I can sharpen one of the secondaries for push cuts, and one for pull cuts?
Now I kinda wish I'd checked the "sure" option instead of the "notify" option. :confused:

There, finally someone who gets it.

Are we talking single bevel here? I’m not sure how else one would sharpen a blade for specific cuts unless it was messing with asymmetrical bevels. I don’t know any particular time I’m doing push cuts vs. pull cuts long enough to close one to get another out... but I’d be curious to know if that’s a practical suggestion for anyone?

Are we talking single bevel here? I’m not sure how else one would sharpen a blade for specific cuts unless it was messing with asymmetrical bevels. I don’t know any particular time I’m doing push cuts vs. pull cuts long enough to close one to get another out... but I’d be curious to know if that’s a practical suggestion for anyone?
Rachel, he doesn't get it.

Oh man so sorry to hear that my friend and I hope the #23 pattern works like a charm for you :thumbsup:
I guess I am full of Dukey ! I broke down a bought the #62 blue camel and the ironwood #62. Now , I am done with the #62 run. I just know that the #23s will be perfect for me. Stick the #23 between my knees/thighs and open right up with my left thumb. Bill Howard has been reducing pull on big knives in the last year. I always manage to open my gator snap knives regardless.

Back